PDA

View Full Version : Wait times for park admission

Grendel's Mother
05-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Three questions:

1. I am using RideMax and it says I should arrive at the park 40 minutes before I want to ride my first ride because of waiting for admission and exchanging vouchers for tickets. Is this true all the time, or only first thing in the morning? We will be arriving about 4:30 in the afternoon our first day.

2. I am thinking of doing DL on Thursday, which is my EE day, but only for EE and maybe an hour or so afterward, then heading to DCA since DL is supposed to be busier on EE days. What would be the best time to head to DCA to minimize time standing in line at the entrance there and maximize lower crowds earlier in the day at DL? Again, trying to decide what time to enter as my "first ride" at DCA.

3. Do you have to exchange vouchers for tickets every day, or is only the first day if you have Park Hopper tickets? Does this make any difference in how long you wait in line in the AM?

Thank you!

sediment
05-29-2005, 09:23 PM
1. RideMax might not work starting at 4:30. Are you really planning to waste a whole day's admission on half a day in the park? Sure, there's Fantasmic and Fireworks, but still.

2. There aren't usually any lines in DCA. Nothing to spend time planning for, at least.

3. I think the first day you'll get your parkhopper passes. You could probably get them the night before and not enter the park.

Leap for Joy
05-30-2005, 12:19 AM
When are you going to DL? That might change some of the answers, but in general:

1. At 4:30 it shouldn't take too long to get into the park. You will be waiting in one line to get through security, another line to exchange your vouchers for tickets, and then (probably) a short line at the gates. If you are at the security line at 4:30 you can be through the lines and to your first ride by 5:00. If there is a long line in front of the gates, have your family wait in that line while you exchange the vouchers.

2. DCA typically opens a couple of hours after DL, but they often open the gates and allow access to Sunshine Plaza a half hour before the listed opening time. I think you can safely use the scheduled opening time, or 15 minutes after it to start your ridemax plan.

3. You'll get the parkhoppers your first day and then use them throughout. So, after the first day you'll wait for security check and the park gates. The earlier you get into line before park opening, the better.

bradk
05-30-2005, 03:36 AM
it'd be easier to answer your questions if you specifically state which days you're going to be at DLR (including dates).

I'm not sure where you got your information about DL being busier on EE days. The only thing I can say to this is when you consider the different lands, Fantasyland is always the busiest land. The reason for this is first the theming and second the fact that it probably has the most attractions with the least restrictions, so it's very family oriented.

As it is, Thursday is actually the lowest attendance day for the park of the week (followed by Tuesday, Wednesday, Monday and then the Weekend (I think)). Although in the summer months, it won't matter as much. Even if you try to take the EE into account, remember that anyone who has EE is there a minimum of 3 days. So anyone who could use EE on Thursday, can also use it on either Tuesday or Saturday.

So the basic advice is this. When you're able to, go to the park first thing in the morning, as soon as the park opens, go to FL and do what you want to do before the crowd pours in. BUT you do not do this on an EE day when you are not using EE because there will already be a queue built up for all the attractions.

When you do go in for EE, absolutely (and do not doubt this advice) do Peter Pan first thing. For a few brief moments it will be a walk-on, but within 10 minutes or so, it will form a steady queue. Dumbo and Matterhorn are also the ones you want to try to concentrate on during EE. And remember, Matterhorn has 2 separate tracks - the tomorrowland side and the fantasyland side. so if you want to fully experience it, make sure you do both. if they're loading both sides from one queue (on the fantasyland side), there's a point where it splits and most people stick to the fantasyland side, so the tomorrowland side tends to move faster, so if you're only going to do one track and you're not that picky about it, check to see if the tomorrowland side is open when you get to the split.

Also, to answer your first question about RideMax, 40 minutes might be a bit extreme if you're showing up at 4:30 (although, again, it depends on the day). But you want to make sure that you don't schedule your first ride at 4:35 when you're still waiting on line for your ticket, that's all. I'd still say a minimum of half an hour. Also, you should note that although RideMax provides times for everything and accounts for every minute, the only times that are absolutely critical to the program are the times in bold, and even then, i think it gives like a 5-10 minute window on either side of it. At 4:30 pm, if anything, the wait times will start getting lower if you end up falling behind schedule.

Grendel's Mother
05-30-2005, 09:39 AM
it'd be easier to answer your questions if you specifically state which days you're going to be at DLR (including dates).

Sorry, I will be arriving at 4:30 tomorrow afternoon (May 31, Tuesday) and we will be there through Friday afternoon.

As for where I got DL being busier during EE days, I think I read that on RideMax, which suggested to avoid DL on EE days if possible. Actually, I did my schedule and came up with over an hour more "wait time" on Thursday than on Wednesday at DL for the same rides. And I won't even be doing alot of the biggies, because I will be with a 40" child who is too small to go on Indy and some of the others.

You all are very helpful! Thank you.

bradk
05-30-2005, 10:09 AM
i'll doublecheck on that, but I'm pretty sure Mark had just advised avoiding Fantasyland on EE days that you aren't using EE. The park as a whole should be just fine.

so you're using 4 day hoppers?

Grendel's Mother
05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, 4-day hoppers.

Grendel's Mother
05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
You may be right about just avoiding FL and not the whole park on EE days. When I originally ran my schedule, I compared DL wait times on Wednesday versus Thursday, but that included FL rides. The wait times came out over an hour longer for Thursday.

I reran it leaving all the FL rides out except for Storybook Canal Boats and one Matterhorn (because I know my daughter will insist on doing that one again later in the day) and the wait times for Wednesday and Thursday were only about 10 minutes different. Now I just have to decide if I can limit us to FL rides during EE or not. May be difficult, traveling with a 5 year-old. I'm sure that will be her favorite area.

Thanks for pointing this out!

bradk
05-30-2005, 12:04 PM
going with a 5 year old will be your weakest point with ridemax. what you may want to do for flexibility is make sure you use the slow speed option (as opposed to normal). also, you should be aware that the wait times ridemax gives you are the estimated worst case scenario, so in most cases, you should still end up coming out ahead. the whole idea is just to make sure you CAN do everything you want.

sediment
05-30-2005, 12:25 PM
As I wrote in the other thread you started, there won't be much need for FPs and RideMax for the next four days.
Probably one of the best weeks to be in DLr. Good weather, low crowds.
But don't go spreading it around.

DangerMouse
05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
As I wrote in the other thread you started, there won't be much need for FPs and RideMax for the next four days.
Probably one of the best weeks to be in DLr. Good weather, low crowds.
But don't go spreading it around.

Sediment, I could kiss you for saying this! I just hope it proves to be true
:D

Grendel's Mother
05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
I am really excited that the weather is going to be so nice! When I checked the long term forecast a couple of weeks ago, it was saying mid80s. Now it's saying low to mid 70s! Yes!!!

Being from Seattle, I am used to cooler weather. Anything over 80 feels like I'm about to melt.

sediment
05-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Sediment, I could kiss you for saying this! I just hope it proves to be true
:D
No guarantees, mind you.