PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday

Niwel
01-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Hey all,

I have no desire to watch the game this sunday. I am a female whose favorite team didn't make it (The Chicago Bears). So, I want to visit the park.

Anyone know how crowded its going to be at the Resort that day?
I plan to stay far away from ESPN zone.

P.S. anyone else planning to go that day?

Ghoulish Delight
01-28-2002, 09:19 AM
One can never predict, but here's what I've heard. It USED to be the best day to go. No one there. But people started getting wind of that. Then they started planning trips for Super Bowl Sunday. Now, from what I understand, it's like any other day. But, then again, we were there this last Saturday and while there was a decent turn-out, it wasn't insanely crowded at all, so you should have no problems. It probably will be a pretty low attendance day.

mad4mky
01-28-2002, 09:41 AM
I can't make it down...but I know a family of 6 that will be there. They too heard it was an "empty" day at the park.
Two are flying down from the bay area...the rest live in San Diego. They are meeting there, hoping to have the park practically empty.
It'll be interesting to hear if it was or not...

socabch
01-28-2002, 10:27 AM
My kids and I were considering going also since our home team came no where close to the Super Bowl this year. The only other thing that I know of that is going on in LA is the All-Star NHL game on Saturday which might bring some out of towners.

I think there is a good chance we will be there but I won't really know until Sat. I hope it's not crowded.

Niwel
01-29-2002, 08:38 AM
I think I'll go anyway ...
I'll get there early as usual and if anyone wants to meet for Mickey Mouse pncakes at the Riverbelle Terrace, I'll be there around 10:00/10:30.
With all the stuff under refurbishment at Disneyland, I'll just hop over to DCA if it gets too crowded there.

Dave Z
01-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Since it's the Rams playing maybe So Cal folks will stay home and watch.

What? They moved? When? St Louis!!?

Ace
01-29-2002, 07:32 PM
I know nothing about sports (other than skateboarding)... are the teams playing popular?

MammaSilva
01-29-2002, 09:39 PM
No offense intended to serious football fans.. but the Pats and the Rams.... they are having a hard time selling the commerical time slots....the price is actually below 2 million a slot, which sounds ridiculous but is CHEAP compared to years with the 49's or the Redskins or Denver or Dallas or Greenbay

davidw99
01-30-2002, 05:09 AM
This information is a little dated but, I went to DL on the day of the All Star game in 1988 and it was dead, dead, dead (the wait at Space Mountain was less than 5 minutes) until the game was over and then the crowds came on strong.

EandCDad
01-30-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
No offense intended to serious football fans.. but the Pats and the Rams.... they are having a hard time selling the commerical time slots....the price is actually below 2 million a slot, which sounds ridiculous but is CHEAP compared to years with the 49's or the Redskins or Denver or Dallas or Greenbay

Neither at Pats or a Rams fan but the commercial sales is likely down due to overall advertising revenue declines. Everything is cheaper these days in TV ads. The Rams have a huge following, as winners usually do. The Patriots will draw the Northeast, not as much here.

Also, the Rams likely still have a big OC following from their LA/Anaheim days. May keep the locals at home this week.

Anyway, didn't really think about blowing off the game for DL. Hmmmm, I'd miss U2 at halftime, but its something to consider.

justagrrl
01-30-2002, 06:38 AM
We'll be there --with bells on.

Well - me and kids will be anyway. DH is going to a super bowl party--for the beer. (not for them game)

Ghoulish Delight
01-30-2002, 07:17 AM
I'll back up EandC's surmizing of the commercial situation. My sister is a media buyer (i.e., she buys commercial air time for companies) and the industry has been in a world of hurt for about a year now. Next time you're watching t.v., take note of how many 1 to 2 year old commercials are still running. You know, the ones that you were sick of like 5 months ago that are STILL going! And also notice how many companies are using "classic" commercials. Cheaper to re-use old stuff than produce new ads. Ever wonder why so many of the "most memorable" commercials of you childhood happen to be from times of recession?

hbquikcomjamesl
01-30-2002, 08:28 AM
As far as I'm concerned, footbal is entirely too much fuss over a lousy twenty-five cents.

. . . They're always trying to (brace yourselves) . . .

. . . get the quarter back!

MammaSilva
01-30-2002, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes:

Gemini Cricket
01-30-2002, 11:42 AM
I went to DL one Super Bowl Sunday and it was dead. We rode almost everything and had a great time. The park was filled with non-sports watching women, people whose teams didn't make it to the Super Bowl and gay men. :D

Ace
01-30-2002, 06:28 PM
it's a date. at 6 flags, that is. but it's better than nothing.

Morrigoon
01-31-2002, 01:57 AM
I went one time and it was packed. It's really a toss up, some years everyone goes, then they go back home talking about how crowded it was, and no one goes the next year, but the people who do tell everyone how empty it was, so the next year they all show up.............

justagrrl
01-31-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I went one time and it was packed. It's really a toss up, some years everyone goes, then they go back home talking about how crowded it was, and no one goes the next year, but the people who do tell everyone how empty it was, so the next year they all show up.............

LOL- so - I guess the big question is: What was it like last year? ;)

FEJ
01-31-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
I think I'll go anyway ...
I'll get there early as usual and if anyone wants to meet for Mickey Mouse pncakes at the Riverbelle Terrace, I'll be there around 10:00/10:30.
With all the stuff under refurbishment at Disneyland, I'll just hop over to DCA if it gets too crowded there.

Im down for that. I'll look for you at the RBT.