PDA

View Full Version : Info for a trip in Dec...

SANDYMARIE
05-29-2005, 12:34 PM
We have never been to Disneyland at this time of year............
When is it a good/bad time to go?
What is the weather like?
Is it a totally holiday feel?
Thanks for any info!
TTFN

SeansMom
05-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Just had to wave to you...we'll be up by Mill Creek the week-end of June 18th. Great to see someone else here from Washington!

Okay, now as to your question, I don't have any been there done that type answers, but I've read here and elsewhere that holiday/winter breaks are really crowded. I'll guess that they start around the 19th of December, depending on the school. Friends that have gone have been poured on that time of year, so if you're looking for sunshine, expect to feel like your still in Washington. December is one of the wettest months for that part of California. I've also heard and seen pics of the decorations, which look fabulous! I understand they go up before Thanksgiving (and hopefully someone else in the know will say when). In any case, hope that helps a little!

SANDYMARIE
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Just had to wave to you...we'll be up by Mill Creek the week-end of June 18th. Great to see someone else here from Washington!

Okay, now as to your question, I don't have any been there done that type answers, but I've read here and elsewhere that holiday/winter breaks are really crowded. I'll guess that they start around the 19th of December, depending on the school. Friends that have gone have been poured on that time of year, so if you're looking for sunshine, expect to feel like your still in Washington. December is one of the wettest months for that part of California. I've also heard and seen pics of the decorations, which look fabulous! I understand they go up before Thanksgiving (and hopefully someone else in the know will say when). In any case, hope that helps a little!
Hi fellow Washintonian...........
I guess I will feel right at home with that weather, I like it better than the heat!
Sounds like the beginning of Dec. would be better.........
Here's a wave back~~~~~~~~
Have a great visit! :)
TTFN

Crazy4DL
05-29-2005, 02:44 PM
We have been to DL at Christmas two different times, 1989 and 2003 The Christmas decorations were beautiful!! I am not sure when they go up, but I think I read it is right after Halloween. We were there at Thanksgiving in 1996 and I know they were up. We had perfect weather in 1989 if I remember correctly but in 2003 it was pretty cool (almost cold) and rained a lot one of the 10 days we were there. I don't remember it being so crowded in 89 but 2003 it was extremely crowded (we went both times between Christmas and New Years). I think I read that earlier in Dec is a better time for the crowds.

It is totally Christmasy - we loved it! (except for being cold in 2003) :)

:waving: from Eastern Washington :)

disney_leonard
05-29-2005, 03:15 PM
If you can manage to make it before Christmas the crowds are smaller. The last few years they have run a So. Cal. resident special to build attendance between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't know if they will do that this year with the 50th celebration. If you can, avoid the week between Christmas and New Years. REALLY busy then. From just after Halloween the parks are decorated, the holiday parades and fireworks are in high gear and the snow happens every night. The weather in Dec. is unpredictable in So. Cal. Typically chilly nights but highs can be in the 80's in the day. Rain is not usually a big problem. Maybe a day or two of showers but not weeks on end.

losaitkens
05-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I just started a similar thread as we want to come for the holidays this year as well. We were there over Thanksgiving weekend 2003 and it was wonderful! They had a special fireworks show with snow and the decorations were everywhere. They also had holiday menu items and some of the characters (pooh) were even in wintery garb. Even DCA gets into the action now with a beach santa and more low key holiday decorations. It was a really memorable trip and this year will be even better because of all the 50th anniversary things going on. Best of luck to you in your trip planning!

SANDYMARIE
05-29-2005, 03:44 PM
If you can manage to make it before Christmas the crowds are smaller. The last few years they have run a So. Cal. resident special to build attendance between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't know if they will do that this year with the 50th celebration. If you can, avoid the week between Christmas and New Years. REALLY busy then. From just after Halloween the parks are decorated, the holiday parades and fireworks are in high gear and the snow happens every night. The weather in Dec. is unpredictable in So. Cal. Typically chilly nights but highs can be in the 80's in the day. Rain is not usually a big problem. Maybe a day or two of showers but not weeks on end.
Thanks for the great info........
Ditto..on your signature................... :D
TTFN

hlbtimes2
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
We went in Dec 2003. We had a great time! However, we didnt know about the candlelight processional and would have went different dates had we known. The park was pretty crowded, which we try to avoid when possible. We are off season people. I would rather have a ride or two closed and shorter hours then a packed park.

I'm from WA also- but I'm south, in Federal Way.