PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians at DL

keh
05-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Can anyone suggest the best places to find veggie food at DL. In the parks we would probably be looking for counter service and quick meals but any thoughts on places outside the parks for good evening meals would also be appreciated.

05-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Go here (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/) for Disneyland and California Adventure menus.

Here's hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised!

PragmaticIdealist
05-29-2005, 05:43 AM
I would recommend you avoid counter service at Disneyland because it tends to offer a poorer value than table service and buffeteria service does. However, I believe vegetarian hamburgers and pizzas are available in many of these locations, and some, like Bengal Barbecue, offer vegetarian specialties such as vegetable kebabs.

One exception to the rule of avoiding counter service is the Vegetarian Corn Chowder at the Pacific Wharf Cafe and the Vegetarian Gumbo in New Orleans Square. Both are exceptional, and the Boudin sourdough bread bowls are first-rate.

The Mardi Gras Salad at the Blue Bayou is also quite good. And, Wine Country Trattoria offers a tasty Vegetable Panini and a nice Cappelini Pomodoro. Rancho del Zocolo offers an adult version of the bean burrito on the children's menu, and Plaza Inn and Redd Rockett's prepare penne and other pastas.

Almost all the restaurants, except for, perhaps, Taste Pilot's Grill, offer some vegetarian menu items, and the guidebooks have special symbols to indicate which restaurants have more expansive vegetarian menus.

Vegan food is also readily available, but you may have to ask questions to be sure you are getting exactly what you want.

05-29-2005, 05:47 AM
cstephens has reviews of many Disneyland Resort restaurants. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html)

And, of course, the MousePadders are always happy to answer questions!

DisneyMelissa
05-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Can anyone suggest the best places to find veggie food at DL. In the parks we would probably be looking for counter service and quick meals but any thoughts on places outside the parks for good evening meals would also be appreciated.

The last time I was at DL (Oct 04) I ordered a veggie burger at the Hungry Bear Restaurant. It wasn't on the menu, but I asked the cast member who was doing the order if they still had them and they did. It took about an extra 10 minutes to cook it.

HskrShelby
05-29-2005, 06:40 AM
The last time I was at DL (Oct 04) I ordered a veggie burger at the Hungry Bear Restaurant. It wasn't on the menu, but I asked the cast member who was doing the order if they still had them and they did. It took about an extra 10 minutes to cook it.

Really? Anyone else know of hidden veggie burgers? haha :)

experiment626
05-29-2005, 07:12 AM
My understanding is that any place the serves regular burgers also has the veggie burgers, why they don't have them on the menu is beyound me.

Rancho seems to have the best vegetarian adaptable menu. Nachos, Taco Salad, Burritos can all be made sans meat. Plaza and Pizza port both have pasta dishes with marinara sauce. Carnation Cafe has a veggie sandwhich. River Belle Terrace has a Vegetable Stew. Depending on your palate you might think to order of the kids menu which usually includes a PB&J. You can also find Mac & Cheese on a few of the kids menus.

Over at DCA my family enjoys the Vegetarian Chili Bowl at Pacific wharf.

Don't be afraid to ask if something can be made without meat. I have found in most cases that it can.

You can find great menu listings here : http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html

AVP
05-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Rancho seems to have the best vegetarian adaptable menu. Nachos, Taco Salad, Burritos can all be made sans meat. Depending on how concerned you are with such things, be sure to ask for the vegetarian beans if you order one of these dishes. The regular refried beans are made with lard.

AVP

Wendi
05-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I think Rancho del Zocolo is best. You can also pick up some good stuff at Whitewater Snacks. Macaroni & Cheese is available at the French Market and in DTD at Napolini - you can get pizza there too. I eat seafood, so I love the crabcakes at Blue Bayou, fish tacos at either Rancho or Cocina Cucamunga, and the tuna sandwich at Whitewater. Oh, and the veggie gumbo in a breadbowl from that little window place in NOS is really good too.

sambo
05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
This Site (http://www.geocities.com/vegetariandisney/) helped me out a couple of years back... I think it may need a bit of updating though. ;)

Mark Mywords
05-31-2005, 09:10 AM
My all-time favorite vegetarian item at Disneyland is the Portabello Mushroom at the Blue Bayou. It comes with garlic mashed potatoes and a bean side dish. I think it's regularly on the lunch menu, but it's no problem to get it for dinner (you just have to ask for it).

The Carnation Cafe has a tasty, non meat pasta and (I think) a vegetarian sandwich.