PDA

View Full Version : Blast!

hbquikcomjamesl
01-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Saw it again last evening. Noticed that the "Battery Battle" number has changed a bit.

Also saw the DVD of the full show for the first time Saturday evening. Well worth it, although it's not the same as live.

Don't buy it in DCA, though! List price is $24.99; Amazon price is $19.99 + S&H.

DCA sticker price is $40 + tax!

I'm occasionally willing to pay a premium for a CD or DVD at, say, the Hollywood Bowl gift shop, or the Spreckels Organ Pavilion gift table, or the gift shops at the Music Center (LA), the Cerritos Performing Arts Center, Davies Hall (SF), or Benaroya Hall (Seattle), but only because that premium would be supporting a non-profit organization.

I don't think anybody is prepared to argue that Disney's merchandising wing is a non-profit organization.:rolleyes:

I got mine on Amazon, BTW.

Ghoulish Delight
01-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Wow! That's quite a mark-up. I'm actually kind of surprised. When HM Holiday opened, we got the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack at Le Gourmet (where they originally put the HM Holiday merchandise before openeing the ODV cart). It was an excellent price (around $10, I think) for a CD! I doubt we could have found it elsewhere new for less. I guess since Disney doesn't own Blast! they felt they had to mark it up a bunch to make a little more profit since they don't get to keep all the money from the register.

bluepearl
01-28-2002, 09:29 AM
I have to admit it was slightly strange not seeing Kit come out after Bolero, but it's still a fantastic show. The Asian drummer does a fantastic job taking that first solo spot, and the new drummer is pretty cool too. I still miss Kit's part, though!

Just to add to the prices - I used to work at Borders, and we sold the DVD and the VHS at the same price: $19.99 plus tax (where as, the VHS at DCA is $30 I believe). The CD isn't too different from DCA's price: $18.99 plus tax (where DCA's is $20). Definitely check around. And if you have a friend that works at a music/video store, you should definitely ask if they can pick it up for you with their discount! ;)

Ghoulish Delight
01-28-2002, 09:34 AM
I really like the fact that they change the show some. I'm sure it gets boring after a while for the performers to do the EXACT same thing every time. I've only seen it twice. The one difference I noticed was that the first time, the bit after Bolero, with the Asian guy and the snare, he pulled out metal sticks and used his metal harnass as a drum, really cool. The second time, he pulled out metal sticks, and used a metal snare! Also very cool.

bluepearl
01-28-2002, 01:44 PM
I like the Asian drummer's new part as the opening solo drummer. When he was originally the second drummer, he had some good beats with the number, but the new number is really great. I also noticed that the new drummer took his place as the opening drummer in Bolero.