PDA

View Full Version : Monorail should stop at DCA

Pages : [1] 2

justagrrl
01-28-2002, 06:50 AM
Yeah - I know that we are in the minority as far as people that like going to DCA...and yeah - I can see the problems with people not having tickets for the right park - but I want the monorail to make a stop in DCA too.

Brown Monkey
01-28-2002, 07:46 AM
I always wondered why they didn't add a stop at DCA. I think that they should've also put a stop at the Grand Californian. The monorail already runs through these areas, so doesn't it make sense? Come to think of it, they should have reworked the whole route of the monorail system, and extended it to stop directly at the Disneyland Hotel also.

MonorailMan
01-28-2002, 07:55 AM
1 Answer:

Money!

It takes A lot of time, and a lot of money to redirect the Monorail!
Anyhow, the tickets for each park would be confusing for guests! Think of the people "Oh, I have a DL ticket, I thought that would get me into DCA too.", anyhow a quick walk from the DTD isn't that far!

Brown Monkey
01-28-2002, 08:34 AM
That's true. It would cost alot of money. I guess it's just my wishful thinking! But when you think about it, the monorail was created to have something unique for transportation and convenience, right? I shouldn't have to take a shuttle or walk my way to the areas that are not monorail accesible. And I don't think that it would be that confusing for those visiting the parks to distinguish the difference between the two. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist. If you can ride on a subway system, then you can navigate the monorail. Besides the fact that it is an important icon of the Disneyland Resort, I really don't feel that it serves it's main purpose anymore if it only stops at two locations.

driftwood714
01-28-2002, 09:34 AM
If they added a stop in DCA and another one at the Grand, it would waste unnecessary money. The current cycle of a single monorail around the track is between 11 and 13 minutes.. Imagine adding 2 more stations and doubling the time it takes to loop around. Not to mention staffing and buying more monorails. There's no need for a monorail to DCA because you walk out of Main Street and it's right there.. When they build the 3rd park area across Harbor I can see them adding a station over there..

Brown Monkey
01-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Hey Driftwood!

There's no need for a monorail to DCA because you walk out of Main Street and it's right there..

This is assuming that you could exit from the monorail at Disneyland and hop over to DCA, which would require a park hopper, right? ;)

Anyway, I see your point about the time it would take to make cycles, and again the money. It's just nice to dream!
:D

AliKzam
01-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Maybe they could've put a stop at DTD. Is there one? I've only been through DTD twice, and I don't really remember seeing one. I may have missed it. That way, if it's a quick walk to DCA via DTD, just make sure your hand is stamped.
A quick fix for setting people straight on who gets to get off at DCA from Disneyland or vice versa would be to have massive signs in at least three different languages all over the stations. Have one at the entrance, one wherever the line will make a turn, and one right before you get onto the monorail. Plus, have it in the opening speil before it takes off and the closing speil as it stops. Those would be small changes that would cost chump change, besides the buco bucks it would cost to reroute the track and build new stations.

Rallymonkey23
01-28-2002, 02:29 PM
I think that if they were to put a stop in DCA it should have been where they put in the lamest ride ever. SSL. I mean, a monorail stop instead of that ride I think alot of people here would agree on.

innerSpaceman
01-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Forget DCA, I want a monorail extension to Mickey & Friends parking.

Ghoulish Delight
01-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
Maybe they could've put a stop at DTD.

There are only two stops on the Monorail line. One is, of course, Tomorrow Land. The other one is in that same location it always has been. It serves as both the hotel stop and, now, the DTD stop. It is a little more than half way "deep" into DTD, coming from the parks. It's behind the House of Blues (right? Hrmm, now my memory is fuzzy, no matter, somewhere around there). So it's a much longer walk from there to DCA than to just walk from gate to gate. But it's not far enough to warrant adding a stop at the front of of DTD. That'd be barely 3 lengths of a monorail train away, if that much. Of course, if the track gets laid out similarly to the Tomorrow Land portion, it'd take about a half hour to get between the stops :P

gautry
01-28-2002, 02:58 PM
THRID GET NO MONIRAIL STOP SINCE THE RAIL WOULD GO OUT OF DISNEY PROPERTY THE CITY OF ANAHEIM WOULD OWN THE MONRAIL. THINK OF IT A RIDE WOULD LEAVE TOMARROW LAND CROSS OVER HARBOR TO THE SIDE OPPOSITE OF DLR AND CROSS KATELLA AND GOT TO THE THRID GATE. THESE GOES ALL OF YTHE HOTELS LIKE THE SAGE THE MIMI MALL AND OTHER HOTELS ACRESS TEH STREET FROM DLR. THAN CROSS HARBOR AND GO THROUGH THE COVENTIONAL CENTER AND NORTH OF WEST STREET TO DTC TOO MUCH TRACK AND THE CITY WOULD CONTROL THE MONIRAIL, AND THE AREAS UNDER THE TRACKS OUTSIDE THE PARSK WOULD BECOME GANG AND HOMELESS PEOPLE HANG OUTS. THE ONLY UPSIDE THIS PATH WOULD STIP DCA OF THE RAIL MAKING IT BETTER BUT LOSSING THE BAY BRIDGE

Ace
01-28-2002, 03:33 PM
it should NOT stop at DCA.

Gemini Cricket
01-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Good thread.

I didn't know there wasn't a stop in DCA! I did the park so fast, I didn't even notice! I was too busy running back to DL like a lost child to his mama.

:)

2CN
01-28-2002, 08:35 PM
gautry- the City of Anaheim would not own the monorail if it went off property, nor would it become a place for gangs or homeless people- they could put it down the middle of Harbor blvd... the supports wouldnt give homless people a place to live... It wouldn't have to go thru the convention center- they could just route both sides down Harbor Blvd on parts, and some along the backside of DCA, around to the PP hotel, then to DTD/DLH stop, and continue on with the same path... most of it could be done on Disney property, and the parts that may have go off, could be, or is probably already, bought up.

cemeinke
01-28-2002, 09:59 PM
I don't know why they couldn't designate certain cars of the monorail as having certain destinations. You could board all cars at the Hotel DTD site. One car for Park Hoppers, would open at all sites. The rest would open only at DL or DCA. That way your destination determins what car you ride in.

Of course this would make the Monorail more transportation than ride, making the round trip longer and a bit more utilitarian.

Iceman
01-28-2002, 10:42 PM
This is a GREAT thread! I used to ride the monorail all the time, because I would park at the Disneyland Hotel and then ride into the park. My last trip, I only went to DCA, so I didn't pay any attention to the monorail except when it went cruising over the Golden Gate Bridge (a very nice touch, if I do say so myself).

I have often thought that Disney needs to build a new monorail loop in Florida to connect the new parks and some of the new resorts. I have been told from multiple sources that the cost of new monorail track is approximately a million dollars a mile!! As a guest, I think Disney could and should easily suck up that cost in order to dramatically enhance the guest experience, but I wonder what the cost would be in Anaheim, where (as far as I know) no thought has ever been given to extending or adding to the monorail system?

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 11:16 PM
Actually some of the pylons for the monorail use to sit on the median for the street it use to cross. Then when the bridge was built it didn't need to go to the street level.

Oh and the DTD station is after Y'aribia... but I believe its before Rainforest (definately before ESPN though)

2CN
01-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Iceman- actually, there had been thoughts about extending the monorail, but it would've, I believe, gone from like the Anaheim train station, possibly LAX or Orange County airports... I remember reading an article on it.. it was one of the ideas floating around at the start of the resort expansion.. never happened, obviously... which I think was due to the cost- like you said, a million a mile.

AliKzam
01-29-2002, 07:25 AM
Yeah, remember when you would stand in line for the Rockets Rods, and they had that little red map on the wall of future destinations for the Rocket Rods? They were supposed to go to places like LAX and the beach and San Diego? Remember? Yeah...
...That would've been an interesting ride. Disneyland to LAX in a Rocket Rod. A cold ride. Probably a slow ride. But an interesting ride.

MonorailMan
01-29-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by AliKzam
Yeah, remember when you would stand in line for the Rockets Rods, and they had that little red map on the wall of future destinations for the Rocket Rods? They were supposed to go to places like LAX and the beach and San Diego? Remember? Yeah...
...That would've been an interesting ride. Disneyland to LAX in a Rocket Rod. A cold ride. Probably a slow ride. But an interesting ride.

Yea, I can see it now with my family:

"Me: Cool Idea :)"
"Mom: Why Does It Speed Up And Slow Down So Much"
"Me: Maybe Cause the Peoplemover Would Have Been A Better Idea ;) "
"Mom: Oh, Ok!"
"Me: Stupid thing broke down again!"

PeopleMover to LAX or SD wouldn't be bad, you'd need a lot of Goodyear tires though! :)

Ace
01-30-2002, 03:15 PM
your sudden obsession with the peoplemover frightens and confuses me.
anyhooooo, when I grow up I'm gonna hire some imagineers to build me a small-scale peoplemover. Except mine will have speed controls. MUHAHAHAHAH!

MonorailMan
01-30-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
your sudden obsession with the peoplemover frightens and confuses me.
anyhooooo, when I grow up I'm gonna hire some imagineers to build me a small-scale peoplemover. Except mine will have speed controls. MUHAHAHAHAH!

Really, I'm allready designing one for HO scale to run around my trainset!

Used The Back Bogey from an old F7 Engine, Build a Larger case out of plastic, place it over the old bogey, and your done!

Looks weird traveling over RR tracks though!

MonorailMan
01-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Also, I only obsess about whats in my avatar, your glad I don't have Swiss Cheese in there.

Techie7
01-30-2002, 09:05 PM
Well in place of the monorail running into DCA what about a dedicated People mover that could run between the two parks. Although it would probably look strange running accross the midway and near the "modern" monorail. Maybe a Skyway :D . I guess I can just walk accross if I have to.

Rallymonkey23
01-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
Well in place of the monorail running into DCA what about a dedicated People mover that could run between the two parks. Although it would probably look strange running accross the midway and near the "modern" monorail. Maybe a Skyway :D . I guess I can just walk accross if I have to.

This just gave me a revalation!! Forget about the people mover going to and from DCA and Disneyland. How about they build one in DCA!!?? That would eliminate alot of walking!! And god knows there is ALOT of walking going on in DCA to get from one place to the other.