PDA

View Full Version : Why get Disney dollars?

Pages : [1] 2

Grendel's Mother
05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I've seen lots of references to people wanting "Disney Dollars." What is the advantage of having them? Is it just money you can spend at the park?

hlbtimes2
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
No real advantage. They are fun because of the cute pictures and bright colors. They are great for gifts. Disney gift cards are very new and only come in $25 amounts (from what I've seen). Disney dollars could be bought in other amounts. The few times we've had them it was because of gifts. My dd will be asking for them for her birthday so she'll have her own money to spend on vacation, and if its disney money she cant spend it before we go!

disNeytEen
05-26-2005, 01:22 PM
The only advantage is that they are cute Disney imitations of money. If you have little ones, then you can exchange real money for Disney Dollars, or money that you can only spend at the Disney Parks. So its another elimante to the experince at DLR

JosieGirl71
05-26-2005, 01:22 PM
There is no advantage except that you can buy them at any Disney store prior to your vacation so it is a good way to save money that can only be used at Disneyland. Both of my sons had Disney dollars for our vacation and I ended up buying the DD from oldest son as he is a teenager and didn't want any Disney merchandise. :eek: (He didn't get that from me. Must be from his muggle father!)

Disneyfun
05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
There is no advantage except that you can buy them at any Disney store prior to your vacation so it is a good way to save money that can only be used at Disneyland. Both of my sons had Disney dollars for our vacation and I ended up buying the DD from oldest son as he is a teenager and didn't want any Disney merchandise. :eek: (He didn't get that from me. Must be from his muggle father!)

I love that Muggle Father!!1

As for the Disney gift cards, I saw some place were they cave a gift card you can add too. Usually those type can be for any amount

cstephens
05-26-2005, 01:38 PM
I've seen lots of references to people wanting "Disney Dollars." What is the advantage of having them? Is it just money you can spend at the park?

Not trying to stifle conversation, but just as an fyi, here's a prior thread on the subject (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=40752) that might answer some of the questions you have.

Wendi
05-26-2005, 01:41 PM
#1 - They're cute and fun - you can save one for your scrapbook too!

#2 - You can avoid ATM fees if you just want to get some cash to spend in the parks, just buy some with your debit card and you won't have to pay any ATM fees.

rblythe
05-26-2005, 02:22 PM
You can have friends or relatives give them to your kids to collect before a big day at Disneyland.
The advantage is that can’t spend them anywhere, only at Disneyland. You know that the money will goto the day trip only.

sleepyjeff
05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=Wendi
#2 - You can avoid ATM fees if you just want to get some cash to spend in the parks, just buy some with your debit card and you won't have to pay any ATM fees.[/QUOTE]

Hear, Hear!!!

Disneyfun
05-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Side question:
Can you spend the Disney Dollars at the disney store? Or Only buy them there?

SoCalDude
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM
#2 - You can avoid ATM fees if you just want to get some cash to spend in the parks, just buy some with your debit card and you won't have to pay any ATM fees.

THAT is a major advantage!! I am glad to see it was posted :)

I like to carry a few DDs in my wallet at all times - just gives me a reason to go back to DL! Not that I spend them when I am there, but still....

MrsPooh
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Side question:
Can you spend the Disney Dollars at the disney store? Or Only buy them there?

Far as I know they can be spent in the Disney Stores.

We, too, buy them so that Piglet's money is saved just for the trip. Otherwise he will spend it before. We usually have a garage sale before our trip, and we quickly change his money right afterwards. This gives him an incentive to get rid of unused toys and not be a pack rat.

Disneyland2004
05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
poop...

Grendel's Mother
05-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Where at DLR can they be purchased?

stinkerbell
05-27-2005, 12:05 AM
For sure at the bank on Main Street, but I've seen people buy them in various stores throughout Disneyland.

Also, you can spend DD's anywhere in the resort....DCA, Downtown Disney stores, etc. My kids use theirs at Build-A-Bear, and I used mine (my mom gave me some last year) at Sephora.

When you buy them, SAVE your receipt. If you don't spend them all, and you want to get cash back for them, you'll need a receipt to get cash. Otherwise, you have to spend them.

MyBeast
05-27-2005, 12:40 AM
No real advantage. They are fun because of the cute pictures and bright colors. They are great for gifts. Disney gift cards are very new and only come in $25 amounts (from what I've seen). Disney dollars could be bought in other amounts. The few times we've had them it was because of gifts. My dd will be asking for them for her birthday so she'll have her own money to spend on vacation, and if its disney money she cant spend it before we go!

Gift Cards go in Incriments of 1 dollar starting from 5 dollars and going to 5000. Disneyland Gift Cards can only be used at Disneyland and Disney Store ones only at the Disney Store. Disney Dollars can be used at both, and at Disneyworld and Disneyland Paris I believe.

Colin
05-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Disney Dollars can be used at both, and at Disneyworld and Disneyland Paris I believe.

I won't say that I know for sure, but I have never seen Disney Dollars spent in Paris, and there is also the issue of the exchange rate. I won't go as far as saying they definitely don't accept Disney Dollars in Paris, but for Practical reasons, I just can't believe that they would....

C°o°lin

sdfilmcritic
05-27-2005, 01:26 AM
The true reason why I would get them would be for a collectors item or just to have a little extra fun while at the parks.

Drince88
05-27-2005, 03:37 AM
The true reason why I would get them would be for a collectors item or just to have a little extra fun while at the parks.
And that's what Disney REALLY wants you to do with them! :fez:

(Same reason the Post office pushes stamp collecting as a hobby, you spend the money on the product, but never need the services!)

Animalia
05-27-2005, 05:13 AM
I fall under the collector catagory when it comes to DDs. I get 2 of each when they are issued and display them in an album showing the front and back. I know Disney gets the real cash while I end up with colorful little sheets of paper, but I get a certain amount of joy flipping through the album and seeing the different years commemorating a special occasion like the year 2000 or WDW's 25th anniversary. This year will be a little pricey because of the new $50 bill but I'm a sucker when it comes to Disney miles stones. And this being the 50th anniversary with the $50 bill issued for the first time makes it irresistible. A fool and his money I guess. :D

outlaw8
05-27-2005, 10:55 AM
I fall under the collector catagory when it comes to DDs. I get 2 of each when they are issued and display them in an album showing the front and back. I know Disney gets the real cash while I end up with colorful little sheets of paper, but I get a certain amount of joy flipping through the album and seeing the different years commemorating a special occasion like the year 2000 or WDW's 25th anniversary. This year will be a little pricey because of the new $50 bill but I'm a sucker when it comes to Disney miles stones. And this being the 50th anniversary with the $50 bill issued for the first time makes it irresistible. A fool and his money I guess. :D
DO they have an Expiration date? If not then you will ALWAYS have money for DL...I don't really forsee DL closing shop anytime soon....
So when your Great,Great, Great Grandchild needs that Dolewhip Fix at DL they can thank YOU!! Beats the heck out of "Beanie Babie" Collecting..LOL

Animalia
05-27-2005, 06:19 PM
DO they have an Expiration date? If not then you will ALWAYS have money for DL...I don't really forsee DL closing shop anytime soon....
So when your Great,Great, Great Grandchild needs that Dolewhip Fix at DL they can thank YOU!! Beats the heck out of "Beanie Babie" Collecting..LOL

Ahh, I can see it now. My descendant orders a Dole Whip while attending the parks 200th birthday and pays for it with a $50 DD from the 50th birthday. He doesn't get change back because by then a Dole Whip is $49.99. ;)

SummerinFL
05-27-2005, 07:04 PM
For me they were a great budget feature. I wanted my girls (5 and 9) to be able to have some souvenir money when we went to the parks. So the DD were a great way to have a budget for them without me having to keep track of it. They each got $100 a piece for the week and it was seperated into an envelope for each so all I had to worry about was anything I wanted for myself and food. One less thing to worry about. ;)

ksejr1
05-28-2005, 10:18 AM
with how everything is so expensive at the park, I save some money, then when I go to DL, I go to the bank and exchange them for disney dollars. Until I really want something, I buy it with the money I've saved, that way, I cant spend the money on anything else outside the park like the Mall.

Disneyfun
05-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Ahh, I can see it now. My descendant orders a Dole Whip while attending the parks 200th birthday and pays for it with a $50 DD from the 50th birthday. He doesn't get change back because by then a Dole Whip is $49.99. ;)

TOOO FUNNY!

But I would have to come back and haunt that person for even trying to spend that important memory!!!! LOL