PDA

View Full Version : Which Beach near DL

Pages : [1] 2

DizMagic
05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
I will be arriving in OC (SNA) around noon on Friday June 3. I have a friend picking us up and would like to go see a true West Coast beach. We will have just a short amount of time, as we will be doing DTD that evening, so which one beach would you all recommend for someone who has never seen the West Coast?

MsYumiBr
05-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I will be arriving in OC (SNA) around noon on Friday June 3. I have a friend picking us up and would like to go see a true West Coast beach. We will have just a short amount of time, as we will be doing DTD that evening, so which one beach would you all recommend for someone who has never seen the West Coast?

Huntington Beach is my personal favorite and it is a straight shot down Beach or Harbor Blvd.

Oh yeah. If you want touristy there is Newport Beach, Balboa Pier, and Laguna Beach.

Enjoy!

olegc
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
If you are being picked up at SNA - then either Newport, Corona Del Mar State Beach, or Laguna beach (these are in order, north to south) are closets - laguna is south... Corona Del mar is nice but limited parking - has not too many waves (it's in a cove).

dlandnut
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Newport Beach so you can eat at the Crab Cooker

Huntington Beach so you can walk out on the pier and eat at Ruby's Diner

(Notice my post involves food, AGAIN, lol) :)

JosieGirl71
05-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Laguna Beach is my personal favorite. It's a beautiful beach with great shops and art galleries. My son even got to swim by a pod of dolphins when we were there!

Disneyfun
05-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Corona Del MAr is my personal Favorite. . . It is low waves, Good for body boarding. Of course up on the cliff is it is where I got married so It hold a speical place in my heart

TimBuk2
05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Newport, Laguna, Corona Del Mar, all nice. Go to Newport and visit the Balboa Island via the car ferry.

Local website listed below.
Balboa Island, CA (http://www.balboa-island.com/)

Phydeaou
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
My wife and I just took a weekend down in Newport Beach, and we spend the afternoon in Laguna Beach. I haven't been there in about 10 years. I really enjoyed it. We had drinks at the Montage Hotel (http://www.montagelagunabeach.com) and just strolled the grounds.

If you get a drink at one of the bars, the valet is only like $4.00 and you can walk down the path to the beach and feel the Pacific Ocean.

The drinks are not cheap, but the service is wonderful and the views are absolutely the best.

The great thing about southern California is that the dress code is always so casual that the hotel staff doesn't know if you are a guest or not, and since the standard room rates begin at $500 a night, all of the staff are courteous.

Check it out if you have the time.

PirateSmile
05-26-2005, 03:46 PM
We always go to Huntington. It's only about 15-20 minutes away, the way we drive at least. My favorite beach ever is Venice Beach, but that is probably a little too far from DL (we went on a tour bus.)

MrsG
05-26-2005, 06:19 PM
I'd vote for Laguna Beach.

sediment
05-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Huntington. You'll see beaucoup surfers there, dude.

Seal Beach is a cute little eclectic town. Reminds me more of East Coast shores, though (without the beach fee, of course).

DizMagic
05-27-2005, 05:10 AM
what's the beach fee? And what beaches require it? Will we need to pay to get on the beach, park, etc. Just need to know how much extra cash to bring along. Thx.

CrazyTrain
05-27-2005, 07:29 AM
But with Venice, you get the beach AND colorful locals!

VickiC
05-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Corona Del Mar is a flat entry fee, 7.00 I think? Some of the otehr beaches have metered parking or parking where you pay when you exit based on time spent there, usually around a buck an hour.

Disneyfun
05-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Corona Del Mar is a flat entry fee, 7.00 I think? Some of the otehr beaches have metered parking or parking where you pay when you exit based on time spent there, usually around a buck an hour.
Do not know when this was last update but her is a web site regard info on Corna Delmar beach. Parking is $6 And there is a phone number to call for other info

ucube
05-27-2005, 11:49 PM
I would definitely say Laguna.
It's the nicest beach town of all the ones mentioned.
Clean water, cute town, clean and easy.
There are no beach fees to access beaches in California.
However, there are sometimes fees to PARK.
Bring your bathing suit, but note that the water is not so warm (but I wouldn't let that stop you).
Have fun!

phillyorig
05-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Seal Beach is a cute little eclectic town. Reminds me more of East Coast shores, though (without the beach fee, of course).

Thanks for all the info on the beaches. We will be driving to a beach for one day and that Seal Beach sounds great since we are originally from the east coast.
Been to Long Beach a few years ago and toured the Queen Mary. Great tour but not for young kids.

A question on Huntington. We have descided to go there (till I heard about Seal but for right now it's Huntington). Can you get down on the shore line and "sit out" for a couple hours? My kids have never swam in the Pacific Ocean.
Thanks.

mcow1
05-28-2005, 10:16 PM

What beach fee? I live in Seal Beach, there's no beach fee. Great place by the way Ruby's at the end of the pier and lots of great little restaurants. You can stand on the pier and watch the surfers, see the Queen Mary, Catalina Island, etc...

I Heart Disneyland!
05-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Casting another vote for Laguna Beach! Great shops, great scenery, great food.

sediment
05-29-2005, 12:00 PM
what's the beach fee? And what beaches require it? Will we need to pay to get on the beach, park, etc. Just need to know how much extra cash to bring along. Thx.
The "beach fee" that I am referring to are ones that I've seen on the Jersey shore.
The beaches of California are free. Parking costs money, though, but there is no fee to walk on the beach.

sediment
05-29-2005, 12:09 PM
A question on Huntington. We have decided to go there (till I heard about Seal but for right now it's Huntington). Can you get down on the shore line and "sit out" for a couple hours? My kids have never swam in the Pacific Ocean.
Thanks.
Yes, the shoreline and the tide lines are all very accessible. Lots of sand. The water will be extremely cold, and the sand will be possibly pretty hot.
My kids go in, but I don't.
Do not leave anything of value just hanging around. Always have someone available to guard stuff. Not that it's any more dangerous, but it's easy pickens, and there are enough people around such that some of them might not have enough morals to be trusted.

mamunia
05-29-2005, 01:31 PM
i would definitely do balboa pennisula.. you can drive on down there and go to the very end of the pennisula to "the wedge", where there are usually awesome waves. and it's completely free to park since it's a residential area, and you can usually find an ok space. then you can travel back up the pennisula and eat at any of the wonderful restaurants in the touristy area.. don't forget to visit any of the ice cream shops and get a "balboa bar".. plus there is a great parking lot near that area (paid, of course), and you can visit the beach there, and do some shopping.

Disneyfun
05-29-2005, 03:49 PM
The "beach fee" that I am referring to are ones that I've seen on the Jersey shore.
The beaches of California are free. Parking costs money, though, but there is no fee to walk on the beach.
Okay this is a bit off topic but I need to know. Does NJ have state tax? I mean you have a beach fee you have a toll roads instead of freeways. . .It seems like everytime you turn around you are paying oe fee?

sediment
05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Okay this is a bit off topic but I need to know. Does NJ have state tax? I mean you have a beach fee you have a toll roads instead of freeways. . .It seems like everytime you turn around you are paying oe fee?
I think the purpose of beach fees is to keep unwanted elements off the beach. When you rent a home in the beach town, the beach pass comes with the rental.

phillyorig
05-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Yes, the shoreline and the tide lines are all very accessible. Lots of sand. The water will be extremely cold, and the sand will be possibly pretty hot.
My kids go in, but I don't.
Do not leave anything of value just hanging around. Always have someone available to guard stuff. Not that it's any more dangerous, but it's easy pickens, and there are enough people around such that some of them might not have enough morals to be trusted.

thanks for the info.

When we went to Long Beach, we tried to find an area to go but nothing was close and it seamed like a "Bay Side" of the water.

Been to the Jersey shore MANY MANY MANY times, so used to going on the boardwalk, paying a $1 and then the beach is there.

Looking forward to this side trip!!!!!!

Thanks again!!