PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe It - GCH for $169!

DangerMouse
05-26-2005, 07:31 AM
A few of you know that I've been trying to get the DLH for a reduced Expedia rate for my dd's birthday trip next week. I've been checking Expedia daily and the rate hasn't dropped below $179. So this morning, out of frustration, I typed in Grand Californian (which has been previously showing as sold out). IT CAME UP AS $169!!!!!

I begged dh to let me book it. It's an extra $100 over what we were planning on paying at the Candy Cane. He finally caved. OMG! I can't believe I get to stay at the Grand Californian! I never ever thought I would be able to stay there. Can you all tell me which part of the resort I should request for our room? I realize I probably won't get much of a choice, but if I am offered, where should I ask?

Thanks for letting me share! I really needed to!!!

<<<<HAPPY DANCE!!>>>>

TikiGeek
05-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Wow!!! I just checked Expedia - what a great rate - it's cheaper than the DLH by $10! Have lotsa fun! :)

Surfingstitch
05-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Congrats.

I would try to get a park view if possible.

Disneynerd
05-26-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm so happy for you!!! My hubby and I have stayed there twice and it just makes everything so much nicer and easier. I like the DTD view the best. The theme park view is awesome too. You'll love the robes, the chocolates, and the literature they place in your room regarding parade times and what-not. have fun!!!!!!!!!!! take me with you Have a great time! i'll sleep on the floor Enjoy your stay!

nursemelis374
05-26-2005, 08:09 AM
What are the dates?

Raven
05-26-2005, 08:10 AM
That is wonderful!!!! I stayed at the GC for the first time two years ago and I am addicted! Great price, HAVE FUN!!!

DangerMouse
05-26-2005, 08:10 AM
6/1/05 - just one night, but what a great night that will be!!!!!
:D

lisap
05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Wow--in June? [Napolean]Luuuucky!!![/] Have a great time and savor every minute. :)

05-26-2005, 08:56 AM
You will absolutely adore this hotel.

Have a fantastic vacation!

TikiGeek
05-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Do they charge for parking at GCH? If so, does anyone know how much they charge? TIA -Tiki :)

momtotwins
05-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Do they charge for parking at GCH? If so, does anyone know how much they charge? TIA -Tiki :)

$12 per night for valet parking. You can self-park for free, but it's a bit of a hike from the "free" parking lot.

SeansMom
05-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Our last stay we requested a courtyard view and had a great view of the monorail which was fun. We've stayed parkside, and that view was wonderful as well. Lovely hotel. I will say...not really a five star as I know it, but the location is great, and the building is lovely, and IMO it was WORTH the money.

If you have a little one or two, request a bunk bed. They think it's heaven!

Self parking...we did that, and the walk was quite easy. Probably less than two city blocks from where we parked to the front door of the hotel.

If you pack up early in the morning, they will pick up your bags for you and hold them all day. This was a no hassle experience, and then we didn't feel the need to rush back to pack.

Now here is a side note: If you find yourself in the lobby and suddenly realize someone in your party needs a restroom break (yeah, I know, you just left your room, but kids happen) then check out the restrooms near the courtyard, to the right of concierge services. They are beautiful!

Have a quick bite at whitewater snacks, near the GCH pool. When there were lines everywhere else this place was empty. Literally. Twice we ate there with nobody else around!

Enjoy!

biolabetty
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
I prefer the 5th floor in the main building. I didn't like the building that you had to enter from the elevators near Napa Rose, it felt strange going in there, and I really like the ambiance in the main lobby. The 5th floor just seemed a little quieter than when we stayed on the 3rd. We have had both DTD view and a courtyard view, and both were good if we stayed in the main building. We once had a DTD view from the building off Napa Rose, and our view was the parking tram drop off, not too spectacular. Enjoy your stay there, we really like it.

Pat-n-Eil
05-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Is That $169 for the whole room or per person?

DangerMouse
05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Is That $169 for the whole room or per person?

That's for the room, NOT per person. Of course, there is tax and service charges added to that which brings the total right under $200, but I am still thrilled with the price!

Pat-n-Eil
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
That's a great price. I'm paying a lot more than that per night on my trip in August, even with the AAA discount. I wonder if that might be a special 1 night rate to help fill rooms that may go unbooked otherwise? Good job :)

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
You'll never want to stay anywhere else...I just love this hotel. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

-TLMt

Disneyfun
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I am sooo Jeluos. YEs I live just a few minutes form disney no true reason to stay at any hotel. But DAng I want to stay there!

CoasterChickie
05-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm very happy for you that you get to stay there and for such a good rate!! Have a wonderful time!!! :D

sierranevada
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
I personally love the DTD view - love to sit on the balcony in the morning sipping my coffee and watching the resort come alive! You can even watch the fireworks from the balcony - although, with the new fireworks, you would lose a lot. As a resort guest, you can enter DCA 30 minutes before it opens and go on Soarin'.

Enjoy!