PDA

View Full Version : Questions about upgrading to AP...

amarvel
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I just want to make sure I understand...

Can you upgrade a 5 day pass to AP on the last day of your 5 day passport??? And they just charge you the difference? So if I went from a 5 day at $169 to a deluxe, which is $209 then I only pay $40, even if I have already used the 5 days on my pass???

Also, can you upgrade to the Deluxe pass on a Sunday that is a block out date for the deluxe AP??? If so how does that work, I just couldn't leave the park?? Or once I do I wouldn't be able to get back in?

I would like to go to Disneyland for 6 days, August 31st - Sept 5th (labor day weekend)

I was planning on buying a 5 day passport for the $169. The deluxe AP has block out dates for that Saturday and Sunday (Sept 3/4), thus I would need a regular passport for these days. So could I upgrade my passport on that Sunday night to a Deluxe pass for only $40 more?? So that I could get into the park that Monday??? And then of course use the AP for my trip next year...

Thanks!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
You are correct on all accounts.
Your AP start date will go back to the first day you used your parkhopper.
As far as it being a blackout day, that happened to us, and we had a bit of trouble when we tried to go from DL to DCA. We worked it out but if you don't have to leave, I wouldn't.

sierranevada
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
That is my understanding and yes, you can upgrade on your last day even if it is a black out day. Now, I am not an AP expert so I am sure others will confirm or correct your information.

amarvel
05-25-2005, 05:38 PM
thanks a lot! glad to know I had it right!

tinksmommy
05-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Why start a new thread when my question is about getting an AP as well...

If I book through Disneyland travel and get an AP (our trip is 8 days and we might make it back in less than a year), what is the official "start" date of the AP? Is it when we purchase or when we actually get to DL for the trip? This is important because our first trip is this November and the second trip would not likely be until October 2006.

Second question - Deluxe vs Premium. Are the discounts worth it? My hubby and I are considering getting ONE of us a Premium and just deluxe for the other and for our daughter. Any thoughts, suggestions on that one?

Thanks!

Darkbeer
05-25-2005, 11:20 PM
If you get an AP voucher from AAA or WDTC, it is a voucher that when turned in, starts the 365 days... so if you buy now, and arrive in November, your expiration date would be November 2006.

The cost difference is $120 between Deluxe and Premium, and based on waht you posted, you won't need the Parking Pass, so now we are talking about spending over $1200 in merchandise, and extra food discounts. All AP's come with Downtown Disney, and some food discounts. You can see all the discounts at MouseSavers.com.

So will you spend $1,200 in stuff... if no, and don't need to go during one of the few Deluxe blockout days, don't bother with a Premium.

Space Mountain Mike
05-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I bought a two day park hopper and on the second day it occured to me to upgrade to a pass, and I was able to do it. It seems to me it's on any day that the park hopper ticket is valid.

Tiki Junki
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
A couple more questions to the AP gurus,

We have AAA vacation we booked in November that includes 2 adult and 1 child 5 day hopper. Keep in mind we have a second child who is 2 and will be free this trip but turns 3 in December. (Can we say under the wire?)

We plan to upgrade to an AP on day five for the two adults and one child. For my free child, should I buy her an AP or just a hopper when we return? We're NoCal folks so it is likely we'd only squeeze one more, multi-day, trip into the next 365 days.

Secondly, I had heard that with a deluxe AP, if you do want to enter during a blackout date that is only $20 per person. Is this True? It is likely our post-November visit would include a black out date.

Thanks

amarvel
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Secondly, I had heard that with a deluxe AP, if you do want to enter during a blackout date that is only $20 per person. Is this True? It is likely our post-November visit would include a black out date.

i would be interested in knowing this as well!

angela

tinksmom
05-26-2005, 12:18 PM
So here's another permutation. . .

If we purchase a AAA parkhopper to get the Enhanced Pastpass option (yes we are staying at GCH) can we upgrade this parkhopper to AP on day 5?

sierranevada
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
The black out pass is $30.

amarvel
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
The black out pass is $30.

Is that for both parks or just DL???

Darkbeer
05-27-2005, 12:54 AM
The Blockout pass is currently $30 a day, and if purchased, is good for BOTH parks...

As for upgrading, the best thing (usually) to do is upgrade on the last day, especially with a AAA Enhanced FP ticket.... upgrade after you have gotten your FP's for the day... as with any other PH, you get the entire "cost" (actual price paid, not the face value) as a credit towards any AP that has a higher price than your PH.

Make sure and have used your Early Entry and ESPN Zone Game Card prior to upgrading....

tmshpkns
05-27-2005, 02:50 AM
So will you spend $1,200 in stuff... if no, and don't need to go during one of the few Deluxe blockout days, don't bother with a Premium.

Remember also that Disney Visa cardholders also get 10% off merch. purchases of $50 or more, so if you have the card you may be paying $120 for a discount you could have gotten anyway.

Tom

Gone2Disneyland
05-27-2005, 06:27 AM
The cost difference is $120 between Deluxe and Premium, and based on waht you posted, you won't need the Parking Pass, so now we are talking about spending over $1200 in merchandise, and extra food discounts. All AP's come with Downtown Disney, and some food discounts. You can see all the discounts at MouseSavers.com.

Darkbeer, I've seen you post this reasoning elsewhere before, and I still don't quite understand it. I guess I'm dense, or stubborn.

I'm a PAP and simply reason that for the money, I've pre-paid to go (now) seven times within a year. I'm a local, so I go more than that. And the discounts that come with it I consider perks. But I'm content that after I enter the park on my seventh visit (which after several years, I frankly don't keep track anymore if I've hit visit #7 yet), that I'm "good." I also appreciate that I have no blockout dates I need to worry about; I just go whenever I want to go.

I know you're reasoning has to do with taking optimal advantage of the discount, I think. Just curious and open to your feedback. Thanks.

Darkbeer
05-27-2005, 09:43 AM
I am talking about the DIFFERENCE between a Deluxe and a Premium... the costs are $209 for the Deluxe, $258 for the Deluxe with Parking ($49 more), and $329 for a Premium....

The first thing a person should do is look at the Blockout days. Locals are more likely to get a Premium, just like g2d, my girlfriend and I have a Premium, the main reason why is that we want to be able to attend the park any day we want to, and not worry about blockout days, and the associated $30 cost, plus we need the parking (both of us).

But many folks don't want to attend the park on a very busy day (days that only Premium AP folks can attend)...

Heck, for folks that work weekends, or retired, etc.. a SoCal Select might be the option.

But for folks that want to attend during ther summer months, there is only two real choices, a Deluxe, or a Premium.

Remember, that many of the folks asking about upgrading to a preium are not locals, but are planning two or more trips to the DLR in 12 months. Since they already bought a multi-day ParkHopper for their first trip, they are looking to upgrade to an AP.

In this case, the vast majority will not need a Premium, they can just schedule a visit to Knott's, USH, the beach, or shopping on the one saturday that might be blocked out, or just pay the $30.

So the question comes down to, is the Premium "Worth" it?

First question, do you need a Parking Pass, most "visitors" do not, they don't have a car, or can leave it at the Hotel and take a shuttle or walk. For those who need it, it still leave a $71 difference between a Deluxe with Parking, and a Premium.

Next, are they planning to buy a Blockout pass? Still would leave $41 more for those that need parking, and $90 for those who don't need parking.

So, what is the better deal??? In most cases, the Deluxe, or for some families, getting ONE Premium for the parking and discounts, and Deluxes (or SoCal's) for the rest of the family.

There is NO reason to give Disney more money than you need to!

lenzs4
05-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I am going to try to upgrade as well. I know that if I buy a hopper I can upgrade it and only pay the difference. I purchased the 50th birthday package - room, entrance and perks... Does that count as a park hopper ticket? How do I find out how much of my package was ticket price and how much was room.... so that I can figure out what the difference will be?

Gone2Disneyland
05-28-2005, 12:22 AM
I am talking about the DIFFERENCE between a Deluxe and a Premium... the costs are $209 for the Deluxe, $258 for the Deluxe with Parking ($49 more), and $329 for a Premium....

Remember, that many of the folks asking about upgrading to a preium are not locals, but are planning two or more trips to the DLR in 12 months. Since they already bought a multi-day ParkHopper for their first trip, they are looking to upgrade to an AP.

Gotcha now. Good points all, very insightful. Thanks.

evrythngwmn
05-28-2005, 01:58 AM

Remember also that Disney Visa cardholders also get 10% off merch. purchases of $50 or more, so if you have the card you may be paying $120 for a discount you could have gotten anyway.

Tom

So Cal Auto Club (AAA) members also save 10 percent on food and beverage purchases and dine with Disney Characters at: Goofy's Kitchen at the DisneylandŽ Hotel, Disney's PCH Grill at Disney's Paradise PierŽ Hotel, or Plaza Inn in DisneylandŽ park. Also, save at Ariel's Grotto and Wine Country Trattoria in Disney's California AdventureTM park.

HskrShelby
05-29-2005, 06:34 AM
I am going to try to upgrade as well. I know that if I buy a hopper I can upgrade it and only pay the difference. I purchased the 50th birthday package - room, entrance and perks... Does that count as a park hopper ticket? How do I find out how much of my package was ticket price and how much was room.... so that I can figure out what the difference will be?

I'd be interested to know this too. Anyone have experience with this?

vegasmommytoDL
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM

For packages right now this SHOULD be the ticket price breakdown:

Ticket Type / Adult Value / Child Value
3 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $139.00 $109.00
4 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $159.00 $129.00
5 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $169.00 $139.00
6 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $179.00 $149.00
7 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $189.00 $159.00
8 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket $189.00 $159.00

So my family got 6 day tickets. The value is printed on the tickets usually, but ours actually don't have it on there. So make sure you know what YOU paid for your tickets so they don't try to devalue them in case the value isn't printed on them. The easiest way to figure out the price of the tickets is when you run a quote select "Premium Pass". The value of these is ALWAYS $329. Make sure to recalculate the page. Then it will display all the tickets with a negative sign. So from there you can figure out the value of all the tickets.

Example: If you run a quote for 3 people (2A/1C) for 3 Premium AP's you KNOW the value is $987 since they are ALWAYS the same price. Look above that and it will say "6 Day Park HopperŽ Bonus Ticket -$480" This means that 3 6-Day passes are $507 ($987 -$480). So then you know if you want to upgrade to Deluxe AP's for $627 (3 x $209) then you will need to pay only $120. I sure hope that made sense!