PDA

View Full Version : Lost Bar or Top Brass?

Pages : [1] 2

Hoppypooh
05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
We want to check out the DL hotel and have a drink, which one should we go to? Which of these do you prefer for a drink? What is the atmosphere like?

Thanks for any advice!

millionairegirl
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm not impressed by the Lost Bar as other people are. It's just a pool bar, and it's in pretty bad shape if you ask me.

I haven't had a drink at Top Brass, but it's in much better shape.

I personally enjoy the bar at Ralph Brennan's. Good (but STRONG) drinks.

Hoppypooh
05-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Oh a "pool" bar? Does that mean it's outside? Is it still open at night?

CoasterChickie
05-25-2005, 08:10 AM
You can order drinks at the Lost Bar and take them to the pool.

Where is the Top Brass?

Darkbeer
05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Lost Bar and Top Brass are both located at the Disneyland Hotel.

Top Brass is located between Goofy's Kitchen and Granville's, in the convention center area of the hotel.

The Top Brass opens early, but also closes around 9 PM. Indoors, air conditioning, nice furniture, laid back, designed for "business"...

The Lost Bar opens around Noon, but stays open late, around 1 AM or later (but before 2 AM, due to California law). Has both Indoor and Outdoor seating, more like good patio furniture (metal and stuff). Sometimes offers entertainment (small bands) at night. No AC, but they open a lot of the doors during the summer. Much more casual, and while not next to the pool, the pool is nearby, and guests do come up to get drinks. It is next to the "mini" Jungle Cruise coin operated boats, and is basically in the middle of the three towers.

Both have Wifi, and priced the same...

I like them both.....

Hoppypooh
05-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks very much darkbeer - that's defintely the kind of info I was looking for!

I guess with a name like "darkbeer" I can trust your opinion on matters of alcohol! ha ha :D

disneyochem
05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I have to admit that I have drinks at both places! My personal preference is the Lost Bar. I like the casual atmosphere and rarely drink at the bar but take the drinks somewhere else. The Top Brass is a place that I go to when my in-laws or parents are with us. It is definately more upscale and, for me, not as child-friendly! At the Lost Bar, we can enjoy drinks and appetizers while the kids swim or play. At Top Brass I worry about disturbing other people in the bar.

Andrew
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I like Top Brass during the day, because of the above-mentioned air conditioning and nearby restrooms. I like the Lost Bar at night for the atmosphere. Another nice one you didn't mention is the Hearthstone Lounge in the Grand Californian.

danyoung
05-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Or the outdoor Uva Bar in Downtown Disney - great martinis!

CarlieB
05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Must agree on the Uva Bar - love it, and they have great drinks. I also enjoy Ralph Brennan's. Haven't been to either of the bars at the DLH yet, but the Hearthston Lounge at the GCH is really nice - try their Chocolate Martini, or one of their liqueur coffees:)

mrcoffee
05-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Didn't they have a bar/restaurant at the top of one of the towers? I thought that elevator shaft you can see from Downtown Disney on the side of the tower went to the top, and it used to be a nice restaurant..

Opus1guy
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Didn't they have a bar/restaurant at the top of one of the towers? I thought that elevator shaft you can see from Downtown Disney on the side of the tower went to the top, and it used to be a nice restaurant..

The "Top Of The Park" cocktail lounge has been gone for years now. The space (and the glass elevators) are now used for the Disneyland Hotel's Concierge Lounge.

SCUBAbe
05-25-2005, 09:02 PM
the last time I hd drinks at the lost bar it was called the neon cactus...or somethinglike that...it ws about 11pm and we were all really tipsy and having fun...anyway, a cm came up to us and told us to keep it down because it's a family bar!:confused:...a faimly bar?? ...ok...it's a BAR..it's 11PM!! why would kids be there...???..it's also a tuesday night during the winter before winter break...why owuld kids be there at that time?? and it is a bar...I was vey confused....but it was all good...we just comtinued on with our fun were not told to keep it down anymore...:)

Andrew
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
The Neon Cactus was in the old TravelPort building, next door to the old Monorail station. About where Starabillia is now. I can't recall the former name of the Lost Bar.

sdfilmcritic
05-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Ah yes. The Lost Bar. :|

Neon Cactus
05-26-2005, 04:27 AM
The Neon Cactus was in the old TravelPort building, next door to the old Monorail station. About where Starabillia is now. I can't recall the former name of the Lost Bar.

The Lost Bar used to be the Wharf Bar and it was all open air before. It's a nice casual place to catch a drink. Of course, nothing topped the Neon Cactus! In response to an earlier post, it doesn't matter what time of day or night, the parents bring their kids into the bars with them. Yes, it's a bar, but it's a Disney bar! At Disney World, you'll see kids running around Pleasure Island until 2 AM.

danyoung
05-26-2005, 04:58 AM
...try their Chocolate Martini...

If you like the chocolate martini, you'll LOVE my famous QA martini (family forum prevents me from giving the full name, and no bartender would know it anyway!) - order an Absolute vodka martini, with frangelico instead of vermouth. No fruit, straight up. Frangelico is an almond liqueur that cuts the bite of the vodka perfectly. They make 'em good at the Uva bar.

sdfilmcritic
05-26-2005, 05:07 AM
My Two Cents: Bars on the DLR property is too expensive for me. I have to cut my supply off really early in the night or I'll go bankrupt when the bill comes. Last time I went "bar hopping" to two whole bars at the park I think I spent around fifty dollars or so for three drinks and two "sips" (they called them shots) of whiskey.

Hoppypooh
05-26-2005, 07:01 AM
OMG! I just checked the drink prices at DL bars on dlresortinfo :eek:
And I still have to convert from Canadian funds! Holy expensive batman!

cryan71
05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Everytime I've been to the Uva Bar (which sounds dirty, but really isn't), I've had really bad service.

Hearthstone is my favorite, plus at night you can sit outside by the huge fireplace. I do like the Lost Bar for the fact that it seems to be a gay hangout. There is also House of Blues for drinking -- a little pricey, then everything is pricey at the resort.

danyoung
05-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Everytime I've been to the Uva Bar (which sounds dirty, but really isn't), I've had really bad service.

That's too bad. I always sit at the bar, and they take good care of me. I've gotten to know a couple of the bartenders over the years, which adds to the fun. Is it strange that bartenders in Anaheim and Orlando know me by name, but none here in Dallas do?

Darkbeer
05-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Of course, nothing topped the Neon Cactus! In response to an earlier post, it doesn't matter what time of day or night, the parents bring their kids into the bars with them. Yes, it's a bar, but it's a Disney bar! At Disney World, you'll see kids running around Pleasure Island until 2 AM.

Yes, a bar did top the Neon Cactus... Sgt. Preston's, the ORIGINAL name for the bar... great time, and great shows that were performed nightly, including some that required audience participation... plus the costumes the waitresses wore...:fez:

I really miss Sgt. Preston's!!!!!!!

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-26-2005, 01:47 PM
FWIW, the tods always patronize Top Brass. Less frenetic. Also, something to do while you wait for your table at Goofy's... ;)

-TLMt

CoasterChickie
05-26-2005, 03:49 PM
My Two Cents: Bars on the DLR property is too expensive for me. I have to cut my supply off really early in the night or I'll go bankrupt when the bill comes. Last time I went "bar hopping" to two whole bars at the park I think I spent around fifty dollars or so for three drinks and two "sips" (they called them shots) of whiskey.

Yes, they are expensive, but I find that one drink is about the strength of two so if you're a lightweight like me , you'll get your money's worth and a buzz from just one!! :~D

CarlieB
05-26-2005, 06:33 PM
If you like the chocolate martini, you'll LOVE my famous QA martini (family forum prevents me from giving the full name, and no bartender would know it anyway!) - order an Absolute vodka martini, with frangelico instead of vermouth. No fruit, straight up. Frangelico is an almond liqueur that cuts the bite of the vodka perfectly. They make 'em good at the Uva bar.

Sounds great - thanks!:)