PDA

View Full Version : What changes when it rains?

Pages : [1] 2

justagrrl
01-27-2002, 06:33 AM
What changes when it rains at Disneyland/DCA?

I'm guessing they don't shut down completely...but do have to close some things?

WizKidRyan
01-27-2002, 07:11 AM
Some rides close, always Alice in Wonderland and the Teacups. If there is lightning as well, rides such as Splash Mountain, which would put people in danger will close.

At California Adventure, all rides remain operating, unless there is lightning, in which Screamin, Maliboomer, Sunwheel, Mullholland Madness, and Grizzly all close.

Previously, Mullholland madness could not be operated in the rain. The purpose of it's current refurb is to change out the breaks to allow wet weather operation and to raise the wall next to it.

justagrrl
01-27-2002, 07:15 AM
Thank you so much. That's just the info I was looking for. :)

Ace
01-27-2002, 09:51 AM
you know, I asked this same question qhen I was going to go...and no one answered. Do they close TOT in Florida when it rains?

Matterhorn Fan
01-27-2002, 10:30 AM
TOT in Florida is all indoors, so I doubt they would have to close it in the rain. It's kinda tall, so maybe they would close in lightening?

Isn't there a TOT CM who posts here?

Ace
01-27-2002, 10:40 AM
yeah, I was talking about lightning more than rain. And didn't they say that the new TOT will have a window that opens at the top, letting you see the outside? That would be unsafe in lightning, you'd think.

Rallymonkey23
01-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Another thing that changes is they heavly market them lovely yellow raincoats with Mickey on them

Dlandmom
01-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Anyone want to head over to Disneyland tonight and give us an update on what really happens? It looks like rain!

blusilva
01-27-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh, heck, I've been to Disneyland in the rain before. I'll tell you what happens.

The place empties out and there are no lines for anything. Parades and fireworks are cancelled. But the shops seem way more crowded. :)

The rides listed above close, but you can do really fun things like The Matterhorn. Nothing compares to The Matterhorn in the rain. And Splash Mountain, cuz heck, you're already wet and cold, why not? If it were open, of course. And there's always the fun of bailing out the IASW boats...if that were open, naturally. And it's kind of fun to watch the little waves whip up on the Sub Lagoon.

Dlandmom
01-27-2002, 04:18 PM
One of these days I'm going to go on a rainy day. I've always lived nearby, so we never went on a day when there was any chance of rain. Now that I have a pass, I guess that doesn't matter anymore!

mousey_girl
01-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Our first trip with The Boy, it rained...not just rain, but it poured. It was a major spring storm. It was dark and dry when we entered the line for Spash, only about a 5 min wait. When we got into the log, I couldn't firgure out why the CM was pouring water out of one of the shade umbrellas. We were dripping wet before we ever made it down the drop. The lightening was going off every where. IT WAS GREAT!!!
All of the walkways had an inch or two of water. The dip leading into Toon Town had over a foot at the bottom. It was closed, but we were soaked and curious. It was so much fun!!! I love going in the rain, there are no crowds or lines. It is an excuse to play in the rain. The Boy had a blast. I do have a Bad Mommy confession... his first experience on BTMR, he was 3, it was dark, and the rain kept hitting him in the face... He isn't too traumatized, that is probably his favorite ride.

mad4mky
01-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
yeah, I was talking about lightning more than rain. And didn't they say that the new TOT will have a window that opens at the top, letting you see the outside? That would be unsafe in lightning, you'd think.

TOT at WDW has a window at the top that opens so you can see the outside. That will not be a "new" addition if they put that in.

Ace
01-27-2002, 07:57 PM
well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.... I haven't been to Florida, but after seeing how utterly cool it is (they have like 20 hotels and 7 parks), not to mention IOA (mmmmmmm.......).... I'll be heading there soon.

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 10:07 PM
Well the odds of lightning hitting people in the window are near zero since lightning would only stike the top of the tower since it wants the fastest way down. But I think they still run it in lightning (should have checked since their rainy season is summer).

Gemini Cricket
01-28-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
What changes when it rains at Disneyland/DCA?

Things get really wet.

I'm joking.
I was at DL once and they had a special Rainy Day Parade. Characters in slickers w/ umbrellas etc. It was neat.
:)
Oh yes, and there is a special recording at the front gate. It starts, "The old saying goes, 'In every life a little rain must fall. Here at Disneyland..." I don't remember the rest.;)

hbquikcomjamesl
01-29-2002, 08:31 AM
They cancel The Parade, since the DCA parade route has uphill sections that get awfully slick in the rain, and the Flag Float tends to get stuck somewhere between Golden Vine and Paradise Pier. Except that when it rained last summer, they pulled out a tractor to tow the Flag Float.

I might add that I only ride Splash Mountain on rainy days: the lines are shorter, and I'm dressed for it. I would have tried Grizzly River this past Sunday afternoon, except that it wasn't yet rainy enough, my rain-parka was a "factory second" from Burlington Coat Factory, that was missing its hood, I haven't yet found myself a "sou'wester," and an umbrella wouldn't be especially safe on GRR; somebody could end up with an eye injury. :(

downingfamily1
01-29-2002, 09:25 AM
When we were at DCA in December it rained for about 5 minutes. It was enough time for everything to get wet, but that's about it. The Electric Parade was delayed, but still ran. The one thing I did notice was how slick the walk ways get. There were kids running and sliding. My 6 year old was being fidgety and ended up falling down. So if you go in the rain just be careful.:)

Ghoulish Delight
01-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Is the 'window' in TOT an open window, or is it a glass window? A glass window would be no problem at all. With an open window, there may be some issues with the rain getting in, but like any tower, as long as they stick a lightning rod on top, lightning's not an issue. The only reason Splash closes in lightning is that a rod on top of a mountain does not fit particularly well with the theme.

We were at DL when it started raining once. We headed to Main Street, grabbed some chow at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, sat under the umbrellas, and watched nearly every guest stream out. Then, headed off for fun! No lines, no crowds! What could be better? Got to do all the things I'm usually not willing to wait in long lines for (like Dumbo). Of course, rides like Dumbo got your butt wet, but who cares!?

Gemini Cricket
01-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Is the 'window' in TOT an open window, or is it a glass window?

If I remember correctly, the window at the top of TOT is an open window. Not good for those projectile vomiters.:)

Dave Z
01-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Kevin Yee did a Cast Place article a while back about rainy days at DLR: http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/ky010719.htm

Check it out.

Rallymonkey23
01-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by downingfamily1
When we were at DCA in December it rained for about 5 minutes. It was enough time for everything to get wet, but that's about it. The Electric Parade was delayed, but still ran. The one thing I did notice was how slick the walk ways get. There were kids running and sliding. My 6 year old was being fidgety and ended up falling down. So if you go in the rain just be careful.:)

Where were you sitting/standing during the parade? I was there on that day. I know for sure cause it only rained for like 5 minutes when I was there too. Just curious.

downingfamily1
01-29-2002, 02:09 PM
I'm not very familiar with DCA because we just did a few things there and I didn't really learn my way around. From looking at my map I think we were in the Pacific Wharf area. We were standing by a railing that overlooked the water. I hope that makes sense. Were you in that area also?

Rallymonkey23
01-29-2002, 02:17 PM
No I was near the area where they first come out. Near the entrance of DCA.

Ozymandius
01-29-2002, 02:28 PM
I was in DL one day last year when it rained very hard and I saw the Rainy Day Cavalcade (Disney Drive-by Parade, I call it).

For those who don't know, its when you get all of the characters you can find and shove them on the double decker bus and haul @$$ down Main Street towards Small World.

I thought it was the funniest thing I have ever seen there. However it was a little tempered by the fact that the parents/kids who had probably paid full price saw the "cavalcade" drive by so fast that if you blink you might miss it.

Of course I'm exaggerating the speed, but you get the idea; everyone is expecting a meandering parade and get a drive by... Too funny :D :D

Ozy

Dave Z
01-29-2002, 02:31 PM
At least no one got shot.