PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of Disneyland on July 17th

Pages : [1] 2

mystycalchyk
05-23-2005, 02:38 PM
OK, so we had decided that we had to choose between May 5th and July 17th, but once we got there for the 5th we just couldnt bear the thought of not going on the 17th. So here we are planning this trip in July....and today I started thinking about all the great things I could do with the money we would spend if we didnt go.

*sigh*

It'll be at least $1200 if we go (including air, hotel, food and buying the next two Olszewski pieces). And I keep thinking....well if we just buy the two pieces we could pay off another bill or something...maybe get out of debt a bit more......or even start saving a bit for our Christmas trip...

*sigh*

Quick, I just need a nudge....talk me out of July...tell me how nightmare hot it is....remind me how much I hate humidity. Express how unbeleivably crowded it will be. Help me be responsible....or *sigh* just tell me how much I will regret not being there for the single most important day since day 1. :(

MammaSilva
05-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Victoria...you have GOT to be joking? If you think you're going to get any reinforcement to be a responsible adult from this bunch over July 17 then you need a chemical check done on your water supply sweetie ;)

Seriously, if you want to be there, then decide which is more important, the next two pieces in your collection (which you could potentially purchase later)....a less expensive hotel maybe? Eating 'lighter' while you're on the trip. There are things you can do to have a smaller budgeted trip but don't think anyone here is going to discourage you from being there on the 17th!

tod
05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
It'll be crowded and busy as hell. Hot. The people will be short-tempered and nasty. They may well run out of food and drinks, and if you leave... you probably won't be able to get back in.

You will have to stake out a spot for the evening parade by 4:00, and God help you if you want to see the fireworks and you aren't in the Plaza by 6. After the fireworks are over, Main Street will be a solid mass of people. You will be swept to the exit gates whether you want to be or not, and if you trip, or somebody else does, you could get trampled.

You will probably have a dreadful time. And if you miss it, you will regret it the rest of your life.

--t

Niwel
05-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Sorry sweetie -- we love you, but you came to the wrong place....
When I read the title of the thread I thought you meant you were planning to stay in the park as long as possible and needed help in leaving. I thought -- cool!
On that note:
Eat kid meals -- (that always helps me) and buy one piece instead of two; If you don't go, you might always wonder "what if..."

Disneyfun
05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
It'll be crowded and busy as hell. Hot. The people will be short-tempered and nasty. They may well run out of food and drinks, and if you leave... you probably won't be able to get back in.

You will have to stake out a spot for the evening parade by 4:00, and God help you if you want to see the fireworks and you aren't in the Plaza by 6. After the fireworks are over, Main Street will be a solid mass of people. You will be swept to the exit gates whether you want to be or not, and if you trip, or somebody else does, you could get trampled.

You will probably have a dreadful time. And if you miss it, you will regret it the rest of your life.

--t
That is 4 am and 6 am TO get your spots Right! :P

mystycalchyk
05-23-2005, 03:40 PM

--t

*sigh*

Yeah thats what I figured.

Well....guess I'll see ya'll there. Thanks for ....umm...yeah thanks for making me realise how silly I am to think about not going to the Hottest Sweatiest Busiest Cramp'diest Muggiest Insanest Happiest Place on Earth

Financial responsibility is highly overrated ;)

stinkerbell
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
No way. I can't help you if I can't help myself. :D

Leash81
05-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok I feel really bad now because I have actually been talking myself and my boyfriend out of iut for a while, of course I still haven't cancelled any reservations just in case. They way I see it Disneyland might do something to commerate the actual birthday or they might let the "Eisner Mentality" rule and be cheap and not do anything worth noticing. The other thing I worry about is if they do something what are the chances that we will actually be able to see it with the mass of people that will be there that day. I read all the posts about how crowded it was on the 5th and I just go into claustophobic shock thinking about it. Now I love Disneyland and I would love to be there but I am just worried about it being hot and crowded and I think I might actually get too cranky to enjoy myself. Of course we will be ther from July 7th to the 12th so we would have to drive back just a few days after a week there so that might be a factor because if we weren't going to be there right before I would definatley be going.
What it all comes down to is do the pros outwiegh the cons. Do you really want to spend all that money just to say you were there? :confused:

Ok, I am done being all rational please nobody kill me for what I wrote! :eek:

disneyperson
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
We know it will be outragously crowded,that we will most likely spend the day listening to music and people watching rather than doing much riding. But we would never consiider missing it no matter how unpleasant the crowds may be. It is the only 50th birthday Dl will ever have. Our addiction will not allow us to miss it. I was there on the 25th, my daughter and I will be there on the 50th, and if the powers that be smile upon us,she'll be pushing her grouchy old Disneyland addict of a mother around in wheelchair on the 75th.

See ya on the 17th! You will be glad you were there to see it.

Opus1guy
05-23-2005, 06:28 PM
You will be there. You have no choice.

:)

TimBuk2
05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Consider what Walt Disney did for you (and many others) 50 years ago and how much that means to you.

But remember, when you first walk in the park, look up to the shining light in Walt's room above the Firehouse and wave. Even though we don't see him, I believe his spirit lives on and is with us throughout the park.

To me, I can't put a cost on it - I feel it's priceless.

:crying:

SCUBAbe
05-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I won't be there..due to intense heat, humidity and crowds. Not one of those things alone would keep me away, but when they all happen together there's no way on this earth I would go...and all I pay for is gas to drive there. I would never pay $1200.oo to fight crowds and humidity...no way!! Personally I would wait until it cooled off and had the holiday decorations out.

Disneyfun
05-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Ticket price $60 Parking $10. Food $50 Suviours $$$ Heat stroke Hospital visit $550, The abilty to say I was there PRICELESS. :D

disney jones
05-23-2005, 07:15 PM
don't go.

i'm very happy with missing May 5 (can't say the same about May 4 of course) and going 3 weeks later when the dusts has settled and the reviews are in. And i'm going on July 20th.

and if it makes you feel better, just plan on going to the anniversary that matters - July 17, 2055 - #100. God willing, I'll be there :D !!

Shortiemetoo
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
We know it will be outragously crowded,that we will most likely spend the day listening to music and people watching rather than doing much riding. But we would never consiider missing it no matter how unpleasant the crowds may be. It is the only 50th birthday Dl will ever have. Our addiction will not allow us to miss it. I was there on the 25th, my daughter and I will be there on the 50th, and if the powers that be smile upon us,she'll be pushing her grouchy old Disneyland addict of a mother around in wheelchair on the 75th.

See ya on the 17th! You will be glad you were there to see it.

Woo Hoo!!!! Way to go disneyperson!!! I am in Sacramento also!! We should get a caravan together ;) . Of course now I am thinking that it may be smarter to stay here and go to the Sacramento padders picnic...sheesh...I hate not being able to decide what to do...

skoolpsyk
05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't go if you paid me....can't take the crowds

SCUBAbe
05-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Ticket price $60 Parking $10. Food $50 Suviours $$$ Heat stroke Hospital visit $550, The abilty to say I was there PRICELESS. :D

PRICELESS???????....LOL....you couldn't pay me enough to go on that day...LOL...;)

Leash81
05-23-2005, 08:48 PM
don't go.

i'm very happy with missing May 5 (can't say the same about May 4 of course) and going 3 weeks later when the dusts has settled and the reviews are in. And i'm going on July 20th.

and if it makes you feel better, just plan on going to the anniversary that matters - July 17, 2055 - #100. God willing, I'll be there :D !!

That one I will go to. I will have just turned 74 when Disneyland turns 100, my birthday is June 17, so I plan on going for the 100th and making my grandkids push me around in my wheelchair all day! :D

Alex S.
05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok. If you don't go I'll give you $0.50. And I'll give you a quarter for every additional person you talk into not going (I'll need affidavits so you don't claim you talked China and India out of attending).

mystycalchyk
05-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok. If you don't go I'll give you $0.50. And I'll give you a quarter for every additional person you talk into not going (I'll need affidavits so you don't claim you talked China and India out of attending).

*chuckles*

Yeah.....its so hard....I know the heat will be killer, but honestly the crowds dont bother me all that much (considering the time of year we usually go). I was trying to be responsible but today Im back to my fickle irresponsible self. :D

Thanks for keeping it real and reminding me how much I will regret it.

We have great rates for our rooms (after the debacle a week ago where they tried to weasle out of our rate) And we can get flights cheap enough. We have no plans for fancy eats. The only big expense will be the two Olszewski pieces. I already have almost $600 put away toward the trip and the hubmeister is heading down to hell Phoenix next week for a few days to help out his dad with a big job and we will get some extra funds from that. (His dad is a painter and is working on a huge house). So we'll see how we can carve it out and make it as simple as possible. :) Thanks guys, you are the best

rentayenta
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Mystycal, I have been trying to talk myself out of it too. I haven't had any luck. ;) I'll be there with my kids, Coaster, and her youngest DD.

See ya there! :D

Vegitabeta
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Don't go, you'll be crushed to death! (And it's more important that you live to visit DL another day ;) )

Niwel
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
OK -- not only did you convince me that coming down the 17th was awesome -- I'll be there the 16th, too!!! Oy -- I just found a room at HoJo on Orbitz -- so make some room for me at 3 a.m. on the 17th :)

nursemelis374
05-24-2005, 10:39 AM
DId you guys hear they might let people sleep in Disneyland that are waiting in line to get in? Now THAT is something worth doing.

mystycalchyk
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
OK -- not only did you convince me that coming down the 17th was awesome -- I'll be there the 16th, too!!! Oy -- I just found a room at HoJo on Orbitz -- so make some room for me at 3 a.m. on the 17th :)

*cracks up*

we're there the 15th - 18th :D

I think on Friday night a bunch of us are planning on going to see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in DTD if anyones interested :). Probably a later show, I'm not missing the firewoks for anything.