PDA

View Full Version : LARGE Party for Dinner

dlandnut
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I just found out that a cousin of mine and her extended family are going to be in DL when we are. Our paths will actually cross on one day, Thursday, June 2nd, where they will be "winding down" their trip, while we will just be arriving there that day. There are 23 of them, 12 of us. We have decided to meet somewhere that evening for dinner. Wow! All ages, from seniors to babies. Any suggestions? We don't want a "sit down" reservation-type place, but rather a central location in DL or CA where we could meet, everybody sort of scamper and order their own thing, via fast food or whatever, and be able to enjoy each other's company (and the magic of DL, of course) for a short while. Any suggestions? :)

05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian. Eat early.

Disneynerd
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
You're trip sounds like so much fun - the more the merrier! If you choose a place where you can all just show up and eat, it will be difficult to all get tables next to each other. Then you're not REALLY eating together. If you call ahead (like today) for priority seating, I'm sure the staff could push a bunch of tables together so you can all visit.

Captain Josh
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
With that many people around, you can really cover much of the Hub for fireworks camp-out.

So, get to the Hub around 7:00pm and make sure everyone has a spot, then you can go out on shifts and get dinner from eateries around the park to-go.

At least, I THINK you can get most meals in a take-away plastic container.

Just a thought from your friendly Fireworks planning guy.

adriennek
05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I think you might be better off at DCA because it's less crowded there than anywhere in DLR.

Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian is a good suggestion, but like Helen said, I'd eat at an odd time to make sure you'll all have places to sit.

At DCA there's the Mexican restaurant, the Boudin bakery restaurant and people could go to Taste Pilot's Grill or Paradise Pier and haul it back to the Bakery area where there's lots of seating.

At Disneyland, Tomorrowland Terrace is big and people could go to Redd Rockett's Pizza Port or Tomorrowland Terrace.

Outside of the Riverbelle Terrace, you can sit there and go to StageDoorCafe or into New Orleans Square and even Bengel BBQ or Coke Corner to bring food back.

Again, I think the key here will be to eat at an off-time in order to get enough tables "together." Perhaps as early as 4?

Adrienne

cstephens
05-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I just found out that a cousin of mine and her extended family are going to be in DL when we are. Our paths will actually cross on one day, Thursday, June 2nd, where they will be "winding down" their trip, while we will just be arriving there that day. There are 23 of them, 12 of us. We have decided to meet somewhere that evening for dinner. Wow! All ages, from seniors to babies. Any suggestions? We don't want a "sit down" reservation-type place, but rather a central location in DL or CA where we could meet, everybody sort of scamper and order their own thing, via fast food or whatever, and be able to enjoy each other's company (and the magic of DL, of course) for a short while. Any suggestions? :)

I would definitely suggest Rancho Del Zocala in Disneyland. Even back when it was Casa Mexicana, we used to refer to it as the "food court" because it was centrally located. You can either get food from that restaurant, or you can get food from nearby Cafe Orleans, French Market, Stage Door or even Plaza Inn, and then bring the food back to that location. There's also a lot of seating area, so that would probably do well for your large group.

wabby1
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I think the idea of meeting at Coke Corner and getting together there would be good....then basically find a spot and take turns going around getting some meals from the eateries around there. Looking forward to it! (I'm dlandnut's brother)

dlandnut
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I appreciate ALL these suggestions! Keep 'em comin', lol! :)

adriennek
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Coke Corner could be tricky. You might find seating at Plaza Pavillion patio, but seating at Coke Corner for that many people would be tough.

Adrienne

cstephens
05-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh, there's always Fantasia Gardens (we hang out there a lot), which could accommodate that many people, but it's a bit farther from all the food places.

CinemaGal15
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM

Thats sounds great that everyone will be there at the same time. As for a place to eat. There are lots of places that are cafeteria style that should work for you, but there are a few problems with them all, so just be prepared. I would Plaza Inn because you can see the parade and fireworkds. However, because you are so close to those, depending on what time you go, it'll be packed and you might not find tables together. Also, I would say New Orleans, but there aren't many tables that'll be open because of Fantasmic, so pick your time well there too. I think the best place would have to be Pizza Port because there isn't really anything to affect you there other then the Buzz Lightyear show at Club Buzz. So have fun and enjoy.

wenderella
05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I too would also suggest Plaza Inn. There are tons of seats outside and the menu should appease most. Try calling Disney Dining @ (714) 781-3463. They may have other suggestions. They'd be the ones to talk to. Have fun. We'll be there too...May 31st - June 6th.

Tambour
05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
With a party that size why not plan a private picnic in Big Thunder Ranch or Festival Arena. That way you still get to be in the park, but not have to deal with so many people. It's like your own private resturant.

PragmaticIdealist
05-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Whitewater Snacks is, by far, the best suggestion and the one that I recommend for your specific circumstances. Just try to be respectful of the other diners there. One of the reasons the place is appealing is because it is relatively quiet and peaceful.

You may want to call ahead and ask for suggestions from Disneyland, itself. Whitewater Snacks might be overwhelmed by such a large group.

The Festival Arena is a possibility, and the picnic area to the west of the gates of Disneyland might also work. Disney would probably prefer you make reservations for whatever you choose to do.

tjaa
05-23-2005, 07:07 PM
I would definitely suggest Rancho Del Zocala in Disneyland. Even back when it was Casa Mexicana, we used to refer to it as the "food court" because it was centrally located. You can either get food from that restaurant, or you can get food from nearby Cafe Orleans, French Market, Stage Door or even Plaza Inn, and then bring the food back to that location. There's also a lot of seating area, so that would probably do well for your large group.

Last visit Rancho Del Zocala had 2 large parties going at once, lots of seating and food is reseaonable and great :) . I would plan ahead, by talking to them at lunchtime. Also as said Plaza Inn has lots of seating and could book in advance with Proirity Seating :cool: .

cstephens
05-24-2005, 12:15 PM
The Festival Arena is a possibility, and the picnic area to the west of the gates of Disneyland might also work. Disney would probably prefer you make reservations for whatever you choose to do.

I'm sorry but I'm going to seriously disagree with your last sentence. I don't know that Disney cares what people decide to do when they have a large group. From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like something as formal as a private party is really what is being asked for. I think a lot of people have had some good suggestions, but that last sentence just hit me wrong.

adriennek
05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
With a party that size why not plan a private picnic in Big Thunder Ranch or Festival Arena. That way you still get to be in the park, but not have to deal with so many people. It's like your own private resturant.

The Festival Arena is a possibility,

You're looking at about $2800 minimum for that.

Just FYI.

Adrienne

soccerlady16
05-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Riverbelle terrence area has lots of tables and chairs

CoasterChickie
05-25-2005, 10:45 PM
How about setting up a few blankets for Fantasmic then have people go in shifts to whatever eatery they want and then come back to the blanket to eat? We did that with a large group and it was really fun. Plus we had great seats for Fantasmic!! :)

Wendi
05-26-2005, 08:04 AM
There are a large number of tables in DCA in between Rancho Cucamonga (or whatever the Mexican restaurant is called) and the eatery across the way (no idea what else is there, I just can't remember). You could try sitting there. There are also a lot of tables at Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA. Other than that I think it will be pretty difficult to find that many tables together. You would have much better luck setting up PS at Storyteller's or someplace where they can give you your own section and put tables together for your group... not sure what your reasoning is for not wanting to eat at one place though.

cstephens
05-26-2005, 11:19 AM
There are a large number of tables in DCA in between Rancho Cucamonga (or whatever the Mexican restaurant is called) and the eatery across the way (no idea what else is there, I just can't remember).

That's a good suggestion. You're right, there's a lot of space there. We sit there a lot and get food from other places. The Mexican restaurant is the Cocina Cucamonga, and the closed location used to be Lucky Fortune Cookery. The Pacific Wharf Cafe is next to the Mexican restaurant, and they have good salads there. It's also not too long of a walk to get food from Paradise Pier.

PragmaticIdealist
05-26-2005, 03:14 PM
There are a large number of tables in DCA in between Rancho Cucamonga (or whatever the Mexican restaurant is called) and the eatery across the way (no idea what else is there, I just can't remember). You could try sitting there. There are also a lot of tables at Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA. Other than that I think it will be pretty difficult to find that many tables together. You would have much better luck setting up PS at Storyteller's or someplace where they can give you your own section and put tables together for your group... not sure what your reasoning is for not wanting to eat at one place though.

I agree. That is a good suggestion.

With The Lucky Fortune Cookery closed, that area should have plenty of space.

adriennek
05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Ok, well my description didn't have the exact names of the restaurants, but I thought it was a good suggestion, too, when I made it in post #5 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=627362&postcount=5) of this thread:

At DCA there's the Mexican restaurant, the Boudin bakery restaurant and people could go to Taste Pilot's Grill or Paradise Pier and haul it back to the Bakery area where there's lots of seating.

:D

Adrienne

Edited to add: Great minds think alike, Wendi? :)