PDA

View Full Version : Tax at Disneyland

disneychelle
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Does anybody know what the tax rate is at Disneyland? We are trying to figure out spending. Thanks for your help!

Disneyfun
05-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I believe it is 7.75 I always figure 8% TO be sure.

adriennek
05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
7.75% is the sales tax rate. Hotel occupancy taxes are much higher.

Adrienne

disneychelle
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks!

pboeoahr
05-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Does CA honor sales tax rebates for those from states that don't have Sales Tax? I now WA honors it for us Oregonians :D

Disneyfun
05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Not sure but I think not.

adriennek
05-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Does CA honor sales tax rebates for those from states that don't have Sales Tax? I now WA honors it for us Oregonians :D

They might, I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing that the process would not be worth trying to deal with.

I know someone who tried to get a sales tax rebate. First Disney said she had to go to the state, then the state said she had to go to Disney. Back and forth, back and forth. I'm guessing that the amount of sales tax you would spend on a vacation might not be worth the time it would take to file for and fight for your rebate.

Adrienne

Mark Goldhaber
05-23-2005, 09:23 PM
If the item is shipped directly from the store to your home state, you should be able to pay only shipping and no sales tax. Otherwise, I doubt you'd be able to get the tax back.

Esmerelda
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM

Nope, sorry.

disney jones
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
If the item is shipped directly from the store to your home state, you should be able to pay only shipping and no sales tax. i bought something at the Jewelry store in New Orleans Square and they offered to do this. But they were a private store, not a Disney owned store. It would have been worth it, but it was just a gift, and just a few days before Christmas so i couldn't take advantage.

Drince88
05-24-2005, 03:32 AM
Also, if it's for something to be used IN the state, you are supposed to pay the sales tax. That's why in Washington you have to pay sales tax on fireworks, 'cause you HAVE to use them in Washington because they aren't legal in Oregon :)

Ulysses
05-24-2005, 10:17 AM
No. Washington does that in border cities (like Vancouver) so people from Portland will shop there, but a state's sales tax is not a tax just on state residents. It's a tax on sales that take place within the state.

The only way to avoid paying CA sales tax on your purchase is to have it shipped to your out-of-state address (because DL is not responsible for collecting sales tax on those sales). Of course, then you have to pay the shipping cost.

pboeoahr
05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
No. Washington does that in border cities (like Vancouver) so people from Portland will shop there, but a state's sales tax is not a tax just on state residents. It's a tax on sales that take place within the state..

When I go to Mariner games in Seattle I show my Oregon DL and they drop the sales tax right off the purchase. I have done this for the past 15 years. I just didn't know if other states offered the same.

mkcbunny
05-24-2005, 03:01 PM
7.75% is the sales tax rate. Hotel occupancy taxes are much higher.

Adrienne
So the state tax in Anaheim is less than CA state tax up north? We pay 8.75% tax up in Oakland.

There's that Anaheim tax they charge per day per room, though I forgot how much it is. Something like $11 per day? Is that different from the occupancy tax you are describing?

I should go try to find my receipt from HoJo, but I'm not sure I saved it.

VickiC
05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
The state tax is the same everywhere in CA but counties can add their own sales tax on top of that, for example here in OC we have the 1/2 cent Measure M for trasportation tax.

pisces
05-24-2005, 05:55 PM
It's that $11.00 fee that they tack on to hotel rooms in Anaheim. That's in addition to the 15% hotel tax. :eek:

adriennek
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
So the state tax in Anaheim is less than CA state tax up north? We pay 8.75% tax up in Oakland.

It's a sales tax. Each county has its own rate. There's the minimum that's paid to the state and then the counties add on their own sales tax. LA County is 8.25%, Riverside and Orange Counties are 7.75%, Ventura is less. This is common in many states that I've done business in with sales tax- that the rates vary from county to county.

Adrienne

Osky
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Just for the record, the resort hotels add 15% room tax, and then they charge a $10.00 per day resort fee + 15% tax which equals $11.50. For one day of my room quoted at $219.00 per night:

$219.00 Room charge
$32.85 Anaheim Room Tax
$11.50 Resort Fee + Tax

$263.35/night total

Disneyfun
05-24-2005, 09:49 PM

There's that Anaheim tax they charge per day per room, though I forgot how much it is. Something like $11 per day? Is that different from the occupancy tax you are describing?

I should go try to find my receipt from HoJo, but I'm not sure I saved it.
Up in oakland you are still paying for BART, Which is a laugh because I use to live up there and when the voters voted that in it was for a limited time. Yet it never came off!

bradk
05-30-2005, 05:16 AM
although the question has been answered, i think what typically happens with sales tax is that the state has a sales tax and then the county has its own. in new york, i believe the state sales tax is 4% and then the counties also hover in the ~4% area. it got really fun a few years back when the state decided to waive sales tax on clothing, as did some of the counties, but other counties still charged their tax. so sales tax for non-exempt in NYC was 8.25%, but exempt was 0%, but in long island, it was 4% or whatever.

and not that it applies, but I believe while Europeans (or at least members of the EU?) do have to pay the sales tax when making purchases here, they can rebate the taxes back home.

pisces
05-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh, that's a cute little maneuver.

Basically, they are taxing you twice. You get a tax on: 1. The actual room rate (15%), and then 2. A tax on the Resort Fee.

Sweet.

Is the tax on the resort fee also 15%???

Ya know, I wonder if that "Resort Fee" is even legal. You can't waive it. I tried. All it covers is basically the newspaper----which I don't read. And, then to put a tax on it.......

:mad:

Osky
05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Is the tax on the resort fee also 15%???

Ya know, I wonder if that "Resort Fee" is even legal. You can't waive it. I tried. All it covers is basically the newspaper----which I don't read. And, then to put a tax on it.......

Yes, the resort fee is $10.00 and comes out to $11.50 with the 15% tax. It covers a newspaper delivered to your room, high-speed Internet access in your room, high-speed wireless Internet access in the common areas, maintenance to self-parking facilities, cleaning and maintenance of the pools, and cleaning and maintenance of all common areas in the hotel. I am sure there is more they use to justify the fee, but that is the last list I was told.

Osky
05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
As far as the legality goes, they can charge what they want and it is your call if you want to stay there or not. If it was illegal, they would just raise all room prices by $10.00 per night.