PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Fun Facts

snappy
01-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Disneyland Fun Facts
Guest: More than 400 million guests have passed through the gates of Disneyland Park since Opening Day, July 17, 1955.
Numbers: During the peak of summer, The Disneyland Resort work force includes nearly 14,000 men and women. Winter period employees total 12,500.
Talents: There are between five and six hundred arts, crafts, professions and skills contributed by Disneyland employees during Park operation.
Maintenance: More than 5,000 gallons of paint are used each year to give the Park a better-than-new look. There are almost 20 million gallons of water in the ten bodies of water found in Disneyland. There are more than 100,000 light bulbs used in Disneyland, including 11,000 "rim lights" used to outline the buildings on Main Street, U.S.A. The streets of the Park are washed and steam-cleaned after the Park closes each day.
Landscaping: There are more than 800 species of plants from more than 40 nations represented in the Park. The Disneyland landscape panorama includes about 5,000 trees and 40,000 shrubs. More than 25 different varieties of grasses are found at Disneyland, including three acres covered with five different varieties of turf grass. Each year, approximately 1 million annuals are planted. Grounds are watered with the help of more than 50,000 drip emitters and sprinkler heads. It takes a 65-person landscaping staff to maintain the Park. Trees range in size from one-foot Dwarf Spruce trees in Storybook Land to the 75-foot high Eucalyptus trees at the Park's perimeter. The Mickey Mouse flower "portrait" located at the Main Entrance is planted nine times a year.
Custodial: Disneyland uses 26 million hand towels in its restrooms a year. Additionally, the Park uses 1,000 brooms, 500 dust pans and 3,000 mops a year to keep the Park clean. Approximately 30 tons of trash is collected during a busy day. Custodial collects 12 million pounds of trash a year.
Recycling: Disneyland has an extensive recycling program in place. Recycled in one year: 3.1 million pounds of cardboard; 500,000 pounds of office paper; and 9,390 pounds of aluminum cans..
Food: In one year Disneyland guests buy: 4 million hamburgers, 1.6 million hot dogs, 3.4 million orders of fries, 1.5 million servings of popcorn, 3.2 million servings of ice cream, 1.2 million gallons of soft drinks and 2.8 million churros.
Costuming: Total Disneyland costume inventory is 500,000 pieces. From initial design to public view, a new costume takes from eight to 12 months to produce. The Disneyland Costume Division stocks approximately 500,000 yards of material, covering 900 different fabrics. Disneyland issues, maintains and cleans costumes for more than 7,000 employees and more than 650 Audio-Animatronics figures. Over 20,000 garments are exchanged per week for cleaning during the summer. Approximately 100,000 individual items are repaired each year. Approximately 150,000 individual pieces are replaced each year, with the average life of an operational costume being nine months.
Calling Disneyland: During the past 12 months, the Park received more than 2,200,000 phone calls. The most frequently called person: Mickey Mouse. The most frequently asked questions (apart from those answered by the recorded information line) relate to merchandise and collectibles.
Disneyland Band: The Disneyland Marching Band has stepped off nearly 3,500 miles since its first parade down Main Street, U.S.A. on opening day in 1955.
Fireworks: Unquestionably one of the world's largest displays of fireworks, Disneyland utilizes the summer-night sky as a stage for "Fantasy in the Sky" every evening from mid-June to early September. At the end of 1999, approximately 4,325 pyrotechnic shows had been staged since the first rocket started the tradition in 1956.

MonorailMan
01-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by snappy
[B]
Maintenance: More than 5,000 gallons of paint are used each year to give the Park a better-than-new look.

Really? I'd suprize the Heck out of me!

J/K :D

Or Am I?

Rallymonkey23
01-26-2002, 07:28 PM
You beat me to the puch there Monorailman.

Ace
01-26-2002, 09:33 PM
you know, they COULD save money if they CUT DOWN ON THE USE OF HAND TOWELS!!! 26 million towels cost MONEY!!!

Nigel2
01-26-2002, 10:11 PM
So what year is this from?

PinkFloyd
01-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks Snappy! I love this type of Dland trivia!

blusilva
01-27-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
you know, they COULD save money if they CUT DOWN ON THE USE OF HAND TOWELS!!! 26 million towels cost MONEY!!!

Not to justify the lack of painting, but paper towels are the only practical way to stock the bathrooms. Hand blowers can't handle the type of traffic the Disneyland bathrooms see - too many people, not enough time. And those linen towels they use in gas station bathrooms are unsanitary.

Ace
01-27-2002, 10:03 AM
yes, I know. I was just joshin' you. Those blower things take at least 3 minutes to finish.

they can't really cut back on anything on this list...because if you add it all up, it = Disneyland. If you take something out, like the fireworks, it = Di*neyl*nd. something's missing.

Morrigoon
01-27-2002, 01:40 PM
hand blowers can't be that efficient... look at the power they use up!

MickeyD
01-27-2002, 02:08 PM
It would be very cost effective if everyone would just wipe their hands on their friends' shirts. I'll start doing this on my next trip. Who wants to come with me?

snappy
01-27-2002, 02:53 PM
To All:
Information was taken from Disneyland Resort Press information packet I received last week. Package was filled
with a lot of cool information on Disneyland and California
Adventure. Would anyone like me to post the California Adventure fun facts on that park? Let me know. Be happy to do it:)

MammaSilva
01-27-2002, 03:00 PM
sure post away, fun facts are....well.... FUN LOL

Rallymonkey23
01-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Post away buddy! I love this stuff!

Dlandmom
01-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Thanks...it's always interesting to me to read these kinds tidbits!