PDA

View Full Version : Observations on a recent trip/a few questions

RocketRob
05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Just got back from an eight day stay at the resort. This was kind of a strange trip for us.

A few comments, if I may:

Indy seemed to be down a lot. What's the deal? I noticed other rides having problems too. Screamin, Tower, Grizzly River, Big Thunder and the Monorail.

What happened to Pinocchio in Fantasmic? I thought they fixed him. However, I do like the new tink effect which replaced the fiber optic part of the show. Still, what a gap without Pinocchio.

I realize it's the 50th celebration but wow was it unexpectedly crowded on Friday and Saturday (20th and 21st). After Fantasmic and the fireworks on Friday the crowd trying to get to main street was unbearable. Is it always like that? I mean we were at a dead stop near Aladdin's Oasis for fifteen minutes! ....and the trash...everywhere after the fireworks when there is a trash can every ten feet! Not to mention people pushing and running each other over and people yelling at others to sit down during the fireworks.

There seemed to be a high demand for 50th merchandise as stores were running low or out of golden antenna toppers, shirts, snowglobes, etc.

As always it was a fun trip overall. The fireworks are AWESOME, Parade of Dreams is much better then Parade of the Stars was. I liked Astro Blasters a lot. I just noticed many more un-magical things on this trip compared to other trips we've taken.

nursemelis374
05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Glad you had a good time! I love the fireworks to! I think that as time goes by DL will get better at the crowd control and trash situation. Doesn't just make you sick that people can't walk 10 feet and throw something away? It drives me mad!

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Indy seemed to be down a lot. What's the deal? I noticed other rides having problems too. Screamin, Tower, Grizzly River, Big Thunder and the Monorail.Don't worry. It's just a conspiracy to rob angry guests of their money. :|

RocketRob
05-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Don't worry. It's just a conspiracy to rob angry guests of their money. :|

That is EXACTLY what I thought it was. I overheard a lady on the tram saying she was going to write a letter because Indy was down for over half the day. I realize the rides are probably more complicated than they seem but it just seems like there have been a lot of problems lately with breakdowns, etc.

RocketRob
05-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Glad you had a good time! I love the fireworks to! I think that as time goes by DL will get better at the crowd control and trash situation. Doesn't just make you sick that people can't walk 10 feet and throw something away? It drives me mad!

Yes the crowd after the fireworks was crazy. Everyone trying to go a different direction while trying not to step on the popcorn and empty bottles people have left behind. It took us a half hour to get out of the HUB and down main street.

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
That is EXACTLY what I thought it was. I overheard a lady on the tram saying she was going to write a letter because Indy was down for over half the day. I realize the rides are probably more complicated than they seem but it just seems like there have been a lot of problems lately with breakdowns, etc.It bothers me to listen to over angry guests at the park when it comes to issues like attractions closures. I would much rather the ride be temporarily shut down for safety issues. The phrase "to error on the side of caution" comes to my mind. I don't want to loose my life if the attractions stay open and operating if there may be a safety issue that needs to be attended to.

nursemelis374
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
I agree that it is good when they close down the ride for safety issues, but I must admit it is still frustrating when something is broken down that you are really wanting to ride or have just waited for!

RocketRob
05-22-2005, 10:05 PM
It bothers me to listen to over angry guests at the park when it comes to issues like attractions closures. I would much rather the ride be temporarily shut down for safety issues. The phrase "to error on the side of caution" comes to my mind. I don't want to loose my life if the attractions stay open and operating if there may be a safety issue that needs to be attended to.

I feel the same way. While it is an inconvenience and not a desireable thing to travel all the way to the park to have a certain attraction closed, one does need to consider that maybe it's not a conspiracy against them but rather a safety/mechanical issue. It's easy to get mad and complain but life and limb is more important than a two minute thrill ride resulting in injury.

That said, what a pain to grab a fast pass in the morning only to come back and find the ride closed not once but three different times in the same day. I see both sides of the story and please don't think I'm one of "those people" that complains about every little thing. Just noting some observations.

My main question is about Pinocchio in Fantasmic. Anyone have some news for me?

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Pinnochio is out again? I don't have any "connections" so I don't know what the trouble may be. It's been about twelve years or so since the show has been in operation and that's quite a long time to maintain those puppets. They should make some adjustments to the Pinnochio segment like they have done to the "fiber optic/Tinkerbell" effect.

Tutter
05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
We saw Fanmtasmic this evening. The Pinnochio bit was odd because it was as if the show suddenly stopped with that gap. Just the sound and the fountains going - stands out quite a bit as something missing.

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 10:14 PM
We saw Fanmtasmic this evening. The Pinnochio bit was odd because it was as if the show suddenly stopped with that gap. Just the sound and the fountains going - stands out quite a bit as something missing.That's true. I've also seen the show without the puppets and felt something was missing. With all the other special effects and what not leading up to this point it felt like something wasn't right to have a water fountain display going for a good forty five seconds or so.

evrythngwmn
05-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Yes the crowd after the fireworks was crazy. Everyone trying to go a different direction while trying not to step on the popcorn and empty bottles people have left behind. It took us a half hour to get out of the HUB and down main street.

I've made it a habit to just step to the side and stay put during fireworks/ fantasmic mass exodus. Like you said the crowds move at a snails pace. We'll generally just stay put for five or ten minutes and talk about the show and/or our next move until the crowd dissapates some.