PDA

View Full Version : Very SCARY Sun Wheel Ride

Pages : [1] 2 3

peng
05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I took my 5 year old sun to DCA 10 days ago and we had a very scary expereince on the Sun Wheel. We opted for the moving cage. There was some amiss with the way the ride was loading, so it took a long time to work through a not very long line. When it was our turn to load I asked the mom behind us if she and her daughter (who I think was 4) if they wanted to come with us. She said sure.

The four of us got into the cage. No one said anything about holding on or securing the children.

The ride started, we progressed slowly up the turn to about the 10 o'clock postion when the cagpe started to slide down the track and then thudded against the end of the loop. The little girl went flying off her seat, and crashed onto the floor of the cage, narrowly missing the corner of bench seat I was sitting on.

Needless to say, she was terribly frightened and started to scream. I don't blame her at all. She fell really hard. I have no doubt she had a good bruise by the end of the day.

Her Mom tried to comfort her as best she as we made our way the rest of the way around to the bottom. At bottom, they got off.

Both the other mom and I were very shocked that there was no way to secure children on this ride, given that we had to be belted in for very slow, uneventful rides in the Bug's Life like the Chew Chew Train.

Has anyone else had such an expereince?

Does anyone have a contact at DCA that I could tell about this?

I can't believe this is the first such incident.

QueenAlisha
05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah the cages Move very very fast and there is nothing to hold on too, i refuse to go on that at all (moving or not) once was enough for me. i think they should at lest tell you that theres nothing to hold on too.

Shortiemetoo
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow, how scary...poor little ones!!!! I didn't even go on the moving ones! )The line was too long or i would have ;) )

notlemc
05-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Let me re-assure that Disney would never make an unsafe ride. Granted there are errors with rides, but none are made unsafe on purpose. Each ride before it is opened to the public is throughly tested. Once these tests are completed then the ride is open to the public. Each ride must meet strict criteria for it's type. If a ride does not meet the criteria and guidelines then the ride is not opened until it meets the guidelines. If you want proof on the security of each ride they have the official certification certificates in the theme park available for public viewing. I don't know where the certificates are held in DCA but in Disneyland they are held in City Hall. Each ride explains where you can find this document usually by some sort of sign near the loading area. As for your concern on the safety of the ride, perhaps maybe if you feel the ride is unsafe you should either 1) not ride the ride or 2) choose to ride a stationary car. There are plenty of signs in the queue line for the Sun Wheel about the moving cars. Perhaps acknowledging these signs could have helped you to avoid an unpleasant experience on a mild ride. As for my own personal opinion, I do not feel that it is necessary to place seatbelts in the Sun Wheel as they are not necessary. In the moving cars my nephew at the age of 3 was able to sit without difficulty and not fall off the seat, in a moving car. As for the Chew Chew Train seatbelts are placed on the ride so that unwatched children do not climb out of the slow moving car with low sides and run in front of the train and get run over. They may seem un-necessay but are meant for safety. The bottom line is if you feel the Sun Wheel is too dangerous or unsafe, don't ride it. If you still feel that it is necessary to complain about the Sun Wheel here is the address you can write to them at:
Disneyland Resort
P.O. Box 3232
1313 S. Harbor Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92803-3232

or if you prefer to e-mail them you can go Here (https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage) and send an e-mail.

Klutch
05-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow, that story surprises, me peng. While I certainly believe you, it's surprising because it appeared to me the Sun Wheel had so many safety features that it was downright boring. The cage surrounding the chairs made me feel like I was in a giant fry basket and I was the proverbial chicken nugget.

In comparison, the old skyway seemed like a near-death experience.

Tinker Bell
05-22-2005, 07:03 PM
this is my DD ( who is 2) Favorite ride. She has never fallen off the seat.

lovegrumpy
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
My kids also don't like the moving cage on the sun wheel. My youngest woun't even go on that ride anymore.

SCUBAbe
05-22-2005, 08:18 PM
I love tis ride and I would hate to be strapped into it. They do run safety speils all over the park...something about "parents please keep an eye on your children." The "thudded agaist the loop" confuses me. The loops are designed to allow the car to swing. If their was a problem witht he loop part it would have ated up on every slide down and swing portion.

Mermaid
05-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I can totally see how this could happen! I am not a person that is afraid of rides but that moving car scared me to death!! Now- do I doubt that it passed safety code- no. Do I know they have warnings about the moving cars-yes. I can also see they are moving so I know what I am in for. BUT- on that first slide, it is scary. I can see how a kid who may be too short to even see what is coming up can fall off their seat. When I went on, there was a three year old in our cage. He FREAKED out when the car slid. His parents told me he had been on Matterhorn and HM w/o problem. So- I don't see the sliding cars as a "mild ride." I can see how this could happen but can't see Disney putting belts unless it happens with some frequency.

Baloo
05-22-2005, 08:27 PM
I have never had an problem with my young one on this attraction. I am glad the child was not seriously hurt. One thing to remember in all attractions wether they be slow or not is that Disney stresses that all people remain seated and that small children be watche at all times. Oneof the possibilties for the childs misfortune could be that she was not properly seating and was probably trying to look out the cage innapropriately. I hope she is doing fine and that this does not cus here to not want to ride it again. usually adults will tend to frighten childen more then they get. Most children forget these things just as fast as they happen.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I took my 5 year old sun to DCA 10 days ago and we had a very scary expereince on the Sun Wheel. We opted for the moving cage. There was some amiss with the way the ride was loading, so it took a long time to work through a not very long line. When it was our turn to load I asked the mom behind us if she and her daughter (who I think was 4) if they wanted to come with us. She said sure.

The four of us got into the cage. No one said anything about holding on or securing the children.

The ride started, we progressed slowly up the turn to about the 10 o'clock postion when the cagpe started to slide down the track and then thudded against the end of the loop. The little girl went flying off her seat, and crashed onto the floor of the cage, narrowly missing the corner of bench seat I was sitting on.

Needless to say, she was terribly frightened and started to scream. I don't blame her at all. She fell really hard. I have no doubt she had a good bruise by the end of the day.

Her Mom tried to comfort her as best she as we made our way the rest of the way around to the bottom. At bottom, they got off.

Both the other mom and I were very shocked that there was no way to secure children on this ride, given that we had to be belted in for very slow, uneventful rides in the Bug's Life like the Chew Chew Train.

Has anyone else had such an expereince?

In my opinion EVERY ride on the Sun Wheel is scarey. While I can ride roller coaster, I do NOT ride ferris wheels. I had a terribly traumatic experience as a child, being stuck on the very top of a double ferris wheel at the AZ State Fair and having to be brought off with ropes, a fireman and finally a ladder!
My DH talked me in to the Sun Wheel, on our first trip to DCA in early 2001, I was 5 months PG with our first son. Not having a clue, we chose the swinging cage! HOLY CRAP! It is not right. Those things should NOT swing like that. I cussed my DH up one side and down the other. I was in tears and shaking so hard by the time we were done. I have not been on the Sun Wheel since. DH takes the kids and I wait with a frozen lemonade.
I can see how a small child could fall off the seat, if you were not prepared for the fast way the cage slides down the track.
I don't think they should be strapped in, but I see nothing wrong with writing a letter of concern.

socaltexan02
05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
In my opinion EVERY ride on the Sun Wheel is scarey. While I can ride roller coaster, I do NOT ride ferris wheels. I had a terribly traumatic experience as a child, being stuck on the very top of a double ferris wheel at the AZ State Fair and having to be brought off with ropes, a fireman and finally a ladder!
My DH talked me in to the Sun Wheel, on our first trip to DCA in early 2001, I was 5 months PG with our first son. Not having a clue, we chose the swinging cage! HOLY CRAP! It is not right. Those things should NOT swing like that. I cussed my DH up one side and down the other. I was in tears and shaking so hard by the time we were done. I have not been on the Sun Wheel since. DH takes the kids and I wait with a frozen lemonade.
I can see how a small child could fall off the seat, if you were not prepared for the fast way the cage slides down the track.
I don't think they should be strapped in, but I see nothing wrong with writing a letter of concern.

I SO relate!!! When I was a young kid I had a traumatic experience in a gondola ride at Astroworld in Houston. We were stuck in the gondola for about 4-5 in a major thunder/lightening/hail storm, w/ small tornados within view. I was very young but it scarred (and scared!) me for life. I love roller coasters, but don't do well in anything suspended, like a ferris wheel car or a ski lift, etc. Anyway...my DH and 3 yr. old ride the Sun Wheel in the non-moving cars, I wait on the boardwalk and literally can't watch! :eek:

Anyway, I agree, DCA should be notified about the incident. I'm glad the child wasn't hurt more seriously. That would have been really scary! One more reason for me to not ride it!!!

biolabetty
05-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I truly hate this ride. My two little ones did fine, I did not like having no seatbelts. I also did not like that the door had a gap in it so I could see open air through it. I must admit I am not a fan of heights, but I would do TOT anytime over this. While we were in line, we saw a group trying to convince one girl to go on. She literally laid down on the ground and refused to move. I understand now how she must have felt. Never again for me.

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 11:08 PM
I don't think the ride is worth it if the line is more than a fifteen minute wait. You only go around the wheel one or two full turns before you have to unload. More than half the time is spent filling and unloading the wheel and then you get only two turns or so around. If it's a slow day at the park I wouldn't mind hopping in line for the ride.

sunfun94
05-22-2005, 11:13 PM
This is my 3 year olds absolutely favorite ride at DCA...This is the 1st thing she talks about when we get there..and hates when our turn is over...I am such an over protecter sometimes (made known by my DH!! :)) I hold her with my arm .. she likes to be "a big girl" and have her own seat next to me...even when we go on the stationary ones...she likes either but I refuse to wait in that horrendously SLOW line for the swinging ones...

Thats a shame to hear of the little one... that must have been a bit scary for her... :crying:

TP2000
05-23-2005, 12:38 AM

I think if you are serious about making your concern known, you need to skip the 10 dollar an hour, 20 year old hostess in the plaid vest at Guest Relations who would just give you the standard Disney-speak answer. Or worse yet, the form letter from the same department.

Instead, you need to contact the California Department of Safety and Health (DOSH). Disneyland is a theme park in California, and it's regulated by this department. They have an office in Anaheim to handle concerns and investigations exactly like you described.

Here's info directly from the DOSH website;

"Two amusement ride district offices have been established, one in Southern California (Anaheim) and one in Northern California (Sacramento). The office in Anaheim carries out the responsibilities of the new Permanent Amusement Ride program in Southern California. TO contact these amusement ride offices for more information on the amusement ride programs, to file a complaint, or to report an accident, see the information below:

Southern California Amusement Ride Office
2100 East Katella Avenue, Suite 280
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 456-1872
Bryan Eckman, senior engineer

I really think that is who you need to speak with, rather than someone in Disneyland's Guest Relations department.

melmel
05-23-2005, 01:20 AM
I love the Sun Wheel. It makes a normal ferris wheel ride VERY FUN! :)

Vegitabeta
05-23-2005, 02:18 AM
I haven't been on the moving cages because I don't want to be swinging around at a great height (I'm a bit afraid of heights :( ) But
I do think they should have a harness or belt for the small people.

arpinl
05-23-2005, 03:11 AM
My DH talked me in to the Sun Wheel, on our first trip to DCA in early 2001, I was 5 months PG with our first son. Not having a clue, we chose the swinging cage! HOLY CRAP! It is not right. Those things should NOT swing like that. I cussed my DH up one side and down the other. I was in tears and shaking so hard by the time we were done. I have not been on the Sun Wheel since.

I know there is nothing worse than being stuck on a scary/uncomfortable ride. But--although I haven't been on the Sun Wheel--I don't see a problem with having some of the cars swing. After all, the Wonder Wheel (at Coney Island) has a very similar design and has been successfully operating since 1920.

AlbertaMinnie
05-23-2005, 06:04 AM
I am not a personal fan of the sun wheel, it scare the wits out of me. However, my children, ages 9 and 12 drag me on it EVERY time and I find PLENTY of holes in the cage wire around us to wrap all 10 of my fingers around to hold on tight. Really though, was this mother not watching the moving cars before loading her 4 year old onto them? Could she not see how they move? As a mother, my first instinct, as the car started to run down the track, would be to put my arm out to help support my child. (I even do it to my husband or whoever I am with!) There is nothing wrong with the Sun Wheel (and this is just my opinion) but I think people should stop expecting CM's and other guests to look after their children.

SuefromRI
05-23-2005, 06:59 AM
My kids, aged 15 and 20, and I went on the moving cars of the SunWheel and we all hated it. I knew I would, but my kids love every ride, the higher and faster the better-love every one at Magic Mountain, so i was surprised how much they disliked it. I agree to try any Disney ride once, and have grown to love TOT as my favorite in WDW, and Screamin is my favorite coaster anywhere. But we didn't find it faulty in construction, just made us feel sick. I'm sorry for this little girl's injury and tramatizing ride. Are the warnings clear and they didn't pay attention? I don't remember what the warnings were, I knew to hold on tight cuz I was scared to death and my kids are old enough to know to watch out for their chicken mom rather than her watching for them.

DangerMouse
05-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Our family has a saying on this topic:

The Sun Wheel is PURE EVIL!!!!! We usually chant this as we are walking by it.

TikiGeek
05-23-2005, 07:53 AM
The Sun Wheel is PURE EVIL!!!!! We usually chant this as we are walking by it.I agree. I'm "forced" to go on this nearly every trip. I like to wait until we get to the top and say "are we having an earthquake? Oh I hope not, this wheel would go right into the water if that were to happen". Everybody gets real quiet. It's my little revenge for making me go on that ride :~D

pisces
05-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Try going on the Sun Wheel during extreme wind and hail. That was my first introduction to the Sun Wheel. I loved it!!!! I'm someone who refused to go on California Screamin (going upsidedown is my limit).

I find the ride very calming and soothing. When you are up at the top, you've got great views of everything. But, I always chose the non-swinging cars. In high winds, the cars move around enough as it is.

As long as it doesn't go upside down, I'm good.

Disneyfun
05-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I first went on this ride with my daughter who at the time was probaly two mybe one. At that time we went on a moving cage. I held on to her because I new it would move. She had a blast the adults were scared silly. We have since gone back on that ride now that she is three almost four. But she want to go on the non moving side. She kept hopping back and fourth to the differnt sides. I was glad we were not in the moving one.
Allhtought I feel bad for the little one that got knocked off her seat I think sometimes parents need to be responisble as well. However that said you can always make a complaint and Disney will look into and make actions as needed.