PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Rods Replacement

BJW
01-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been reading articles on Mouseplanet for quite some time and am an AP holder at DLR and other California parks. Glad to finally join the forum. I have a question regarding whether or not WDI will replace Rocket Rods with another attraction. Last time I was at the park I stopped a CM in Tomorrowland and asked him if he knew anything and he mentioned something about a ride inside a tube that would ride on the track after it was retrofitted to hold the weight. Has anyone else heard about this? If so, what could this ride be like? I'm not trying to start any rumors here so I will go on record and say if no one knows what I am talking about this CM was probably just misinformed or telling me something that was pure speculation. So if that is the case please disregard this as false.

MonorailMan
01-26-2002, 06:33 AM
So far I haven't heard anything. Also, how I hate to say this, some CMs may "Oull your leg". Let's just hope the tracks don't stay empty forever! Maybe they could bring back a "PeopleMover:2002"!

And, welcome to the forum, and many lost hours. :D

coronamouseman
01-26-2002, 06:44 AM
Ah - the ever-continuing story of the RR's.

The only thing certain at this point is that the tracks won't be coming down or reworked anytime soon because Disney obviously does not want to spend the money to do either task.

So for now, let's hope for world peace and for attendance at DLR to begin to pick up sometime in 2002 so that Disney will feel that they can spend some money to reinvigorate DL's Tomorrowland.

socabch
01-26-2002, 08:50 AM
A CM told me that the new ride being discussed is a Buzz Lightyear ride. But things could have changed since then. I was told this a month after RR closed down. I only rode RR once. Everytime we went the line was either 90 (or more) minutes or the ride was broken.

mrfantasmic
01-26-2002, 11:52 AM
BJW : Welcome to MousePad!
The Rocket Rods saga has been going on for quite some time now. The Buzz Lightyear ride idea has apparently been scrapped.
The problem with Rocket Rods is when they made the change from People Mover, they didn't bother to make the track compatible with the Rocket Rods. If you'll notice, the PM/RR track is still flat today. This proved to be a disaster when the Rods went into operation. Unfortunately, the mechanical difficulties were inevitable.
With the mechanics going down, they took with it the elaborate software system that powered the Rods. The software controlled the sound, wheelie, and acceleration.
Rather than spending thousands of dollars to revamp the track to make it compatible, they decided to shut down the ride.

The story in those days was that there would be a replacement on the way:

As Walt Disney himself once said, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world." Walt continually evaluated existing attractions in order to make changes, modifications, and occasionally close attractions to make way for new and exciting adventures. In keeping with our philosophy of making Disneyland exciting and ever changing, we are continually evaluating our attractions, closing some existing attractions and developing new facilities to reflect progress and to maintain the interest of our visitors.
Walt Disney Imagineering has already begun formulating preliminary design and conceptual plans for a new attraction. We are sure that you will agree that our Disney Imagineers have an outstanding track record with creating exciting attractions that appeal to visitors of all ages. We hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland Resort.

This is from correspondence with the resort at the first sign of the Rocket Rods closing. I will write today and see what happens.

mrfantasmic

disneyland dave
01-26-2002, 01:58 PM
In agreement with mrfantasmic, rocketrods could have been better with banked track that allowed the cars to keep the speed up thoughout the ride. Wonderful scenery, indoor and outdoor though tomorrowland. Very shortsighted, didn't want to spend the extra money to make it right.

mrfantasmic
01-26-2002, 02:20 PM
BJW mentioned something about a tube ride.

Ever played roller coaster tycoon? The ride they could be throwing around is something like a heartline twister coaster... with turns.
This seems perfectly feasible:
The cars are guided from side rails that twist to steer the car. Instead if having to bank the track, all they have to do is make sure the track can hold the weight.

The cars be propelled in the same way that Screamin' is: electromagnets spinning underneath.
If that gets too expensive, power the wheels on the side rails to propel the cars forward. The downside to that is the working of a software program that can execute all the commands reliably, without breakdowns. If Indy can do it...
Around the first turn, for example, the right rail would move up so the rail goes above the track. The left rail would move down so that it formed at least a 45 degree angle with the other rail. The car would twist and shoot around the turn.
Sounds like great fun!

Comments?

mrfantasmic

BJW
01-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the forum and for answering my question. I think mrfantasmic has a good idea about writing the park. I might try this as well. It's ashame to have so much empty space in Tomorrowland. I have played rollercoaster tycoon also. The heartline twister things sounds like a good idea. They could fit upside-down maneuvers into the ride and avoid banking the turns.

Ace
01-26-2002, 09:44 PM
um..... I don't believe heartline coasters can turn. And that would be too intense for Disneyland. Peoplemover 2005.... 50th anniversary. My predictions (I know everything, it would do you good to listen to me.....)

shoom shoom shoom <--- secret sounds I make when predicting the future....bother me not!!!

shoom shoom shoom shoom shoom

SHOOM SHOOM SHOOM

[list=1]
Peoplemover will return in some form at or shortly after the 50th anniversary.
Tommorowland will be re-re-done. Innoventions will be gone. New Paint will cover all. I sense new movie and/or a new ride where Star Tours is.
Tom Sawyer's Island will be redone, as will the ROA.
Pooh will not be as spectacular as it could have been.
Tiki Room will be changed to Lilo and Stitch. Riots ensue, and it is changed back.
Fantasmic will come back, but in a different form.
[/list=1]

there you are....you would be advised to print that, and check each off as they come into existance. I'm not "oulling your leg"!!!!

yuk yuk yuk...

Nigel2
01-26-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
[list=1]
Tiki Room will be changed to Lilo and Stitch. Riots ensue, and it is changed back.
[/list=1]

Hmmm odds are if they did do the lilo and stich thing to the tiki room it would be like the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse.

Also (for BJW) the only disney owned "functioning" Rocket Rod car that wasn't destroyed (the one sold on Ebay was a promo that didn't run) is on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA.

Also the buzz lightyear ride discussed was belived to be a copy of the one at the MK, this ride was predicted as well as the return on Circle Vision (which never happend)

And as usual for my response to the PM return...odds are peoplemover will never come back, blah blah blah...

coronamouseman
01-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Agree with Squinky - "heartline" coaster is more a SFMM or a Knott's type of attraction and most likely will not be something Disney would put in

Let's face it - Tomorrowland (name should be changed to Nowhereland) will remain "as is" for quite a while until the economy turns and/or Disney decides that the quality of each park should be maintained .......

So simply look and marvel at the PeopleMover/RR track and the empty Submarine Lagoon and recall back when DL was truly growing and/or stretching it's imagination ........

Morrigoon
01-27-2002, 01:29 PM
First of all, welcome BJW! Be sure to introduce yourself on the welcome thread in the lounge!

Buzz Lightyear was also predicted for the upper floor of the TL arcade (which has been emptied and closed for some time now). What amazes me is that they took out arcade games, which are money makers (and they used to have the BEST air hockey tables, the old, big kind with the metal surface!) only to replace it with nothing. Better they should at least put back the arcade games, rather than have that empty space and those gates around the escalators!

I want to see a return of the peoplemover. TL is sorely lacking in family rides. Heck, it's sorely lacking in rides period. I'd like to see a new movie in 1/2 the pods for Star Tours. Also, I want Innoventions GONE - either put in Carousel of Progress, or knock the whole thing down and build a ride just like DLP's Space Mtn, but call it Mission to Mars (be cool to revive that name, wouldn't it?) or something. That way we could have BOTH SM's (I love the DLP one but I'd be furious if we lost ours in the process). Then all we need is a new attraction in the theater and TL would be a real land again! Hey, how about an indoors, glow in the dark bumper car ride? Better yet if they can revive the flying saucer attraction! If not, put Buzz there.

MonorailMan
01-27-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Agree with Squinky - "heartline" coaster is more a SFMM or a Knott's type of attraction and most likely will not be something Disney would put in

Let's face it - Tomorrowland (name should be changed to Nowhereland) will remain "as is" for quite a while until the economy turns and/or Disney decides that the quality of each park should be maintained .......

So simply look and marvel at the PeopleMover/RR track and the empty Submarine Lagoon and recall back when DL was truly growing and/or stretching it's imagination ........

Thats Why I Never Raise My Rocket Very high On Astro Oribtor, because If I see the old RR/PM Loading Area/Tracks, I cry. :crying:

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Actually what you might want for a glow in the dark bumper cars thing... is the buzz lightyear game at Disney Quest, I believe they are a combo of battleboats and hovercrafts. You get in try to fly over "ammo" and shoot others to make them spin. All of it is like a glow in the dark I believe.

disneynut
01-28-2002, 10:09 PM
We were at DL a couple of nights ago and talked to a CM about anything new that might be coming. She talked about the Buzz Lightyear ride but that doesn't sound like too new an idea from this thread. She did mention an Ariel ride where the subs use to be. She also mentioned that the lagoon could never be removed because it anchors the Matterhorn and it would destabilize the ground its on if the lagoon was gone. Does this make sense to anyone or has anyone heard any of this before? (Besides the Buzz ride.)

On a separate note, we talked to a CM at Tom Sawyer's Island about the decaying bridges, no air guns, the fort falling apart, etc. and he said the only way to get it repaired is through alot of people writing letters and complaining. I don't even know if that would work but I will send a letter just in case.

And again on another note.... Welcome BJW. From your location it looks like you and I are almost neighbors! :)

Gemini Cricket
01-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

Buzz Lightyear was also predicted for the upper floor of the TL arcade (which has been emptied and closed for some time now). What amazes me is that they took out arcade games, which are money makers (and they used to have the BEST air hockey tables, the old, big kind with the metal surface!) only to replace it with nothing. Better they should at least put back the arcade games, rather than have that empty space and those gates around the escalators!

Oh no! They took out "Trog"! My favorite video game! You're a clay dinosaur that picks up eggs and turns into a TRex when you eat a mushroom. It was a great, great game!:(

Nigel2
01-28-2002, 11:28 PM
That has been gone for years I believe (even before they cleaned it out).

I do have to say it was a pain to play pinball there when the RR were running, they shook the balls so they wouldn't fall right.

Lacrosse Boy
01-29-2002, 11:55 AM
Having an empty track for over a year is really huting Disneyland's mage, and if Disneyland's image is ruined, than so is Disney.

Mouse
01-29-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by disneynut ...She also mentioned that the lagoon could never be removed because it anchors the Matterhorn and it would destabilize the ground its on if the lagoon was gone...

I have heard the same thing about the lagoon and the Matterhorn. I have also heard the reason they haven't changed anything is because if they even drain the lagoon (to do any work) the lost water pressure would contribute to collapse/sinking of the Matterhorn.

Originally posted by Squinky

Remember the Atlantice(sp) Submarine ride?

Originally posted by MonorailMan
Also, how I hate to say this, some CMs may "Oull your leg".

Typos aside, many cast members, myself included, may have "imaginative" answers to some questions that have been asked too many times that day. ;)

Ace
01-29-2002, 04:21 PM
2 ways the lilo and stitch tiki room will be ok:

1) the movie stanks like a sweaty hippo and they don't change it

2) they don't make it permanent and it stays changed as long as the mansion did, and then they re-hab it.

coronamouseman
01-29-2002, 05:57 PM
The story about draining the lagoon causing sinkage problems elsewhere is one which has been brought up before - the whole area of flat land (including Disneyland) in the Anaheim/Orange County area is on the very unstable flood plain of the old Santa Ana River delta.

But even if such were the case, what Disney wants to get done they can probably get done - they encountered a lot worse in terms of engineering problems when they built the Magic Kingdom in Florida........

mrfantasmic
01-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Back to ancient history, in the heartline style,
they could feasibly turn and do not have to go upside down. The ride doesn't have to be in a tube, it could just have the side rails and stuff.
With some theming, it could be possible.
By the way, anyone heard about the RR track from the Resort? They haven't written back yet!

Uncle Dick
01-30-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm still hoping for a Tron 2.0 movie tie-in. C'mon, you know you want a light-cycle ride. You know you want it!!! Alas, the most I can probably hope for is a new Tron arcade game in Starcade. :crying:

MonorailMan
01-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I'm still hoping for a Tron 2.0 movie tie-in. C'mon, you know you want a light-cycle ride. You know you want it!!! Alas, the most I can probably hope for is a new Tron arcade game in Starcade. :crying:

I Know I wan't it, maybe they could do a "Tron" themed ride, like when Tron and crew use the simulator to get to MCP.