PDA

View Full Version : A hybrid "RocketRod / PeopleMover" attraction would be nice!

Vlyger
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I would like to see the track above Sci-Fi Land (aka Tomorrowland) utilized once again. It would be interesting if the Disney Imagineering Team could create new rocket vehicles that can accomodate up to 8 passengers (two in front, three in middle, three in back) for this new attraction. This should be a "moderate speed" thrill ride, not as fast as the RocketRods and not as slow as the PeopleMover, just somewhere in-between. That way, most people would be satisfied. I certainly would. Bring back the best of both worlds! So sayeth Vlyger.

Wendi
05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
It's been mentioned before, but the little pods on the island in The Incredibles would be perfect!

sleepyjeff
05-22-2005, 06:01 PM
It's been mentioned before, but the little pods on the island in The Incredibles would be perfect!

Hear, Hear!

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
My husband who knows zipppp About anything disney. Jsut told me last night that he heard the Rocket RODs people mover will be reopening up. He also added that the rockets from the front of TL would be moved back up top agian.
I told him that I had heard the Star tours was being redone and it has been suggested that these items happen but nothing offical has been said. He said he has a friend who is in matinence that told him this.
My other question was which Rocket Rods or The people mover. But thinking he had no idea what he was talking about I did not go into detail with him. But this idea would make his statement truer.
I also like the idea of incorporating the Incrediables. Now mind you (Do not throw anything at me) But I have not seen this movie yet. But I think from what I have seen in previews and merchandise that it would be a fitting into the theme.
Good IDea!!

nsyncitnd1787
05-22-2005, 08:26 PM
isn't there supposed to be a presentation by the imagineers to Matt, Jay, and Robert (those are the right guys right?) sometime next month about the ppl mover, ST, AO being moved, and other stuff??? i thought i read that somewhere. that's why they didn't anounce the Nemo subs on the 5th. maybe something will be accomplished b/w now and the REAL 50th. that would be nice. bring movement back to TL!!!

The Mouse Is Back
05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
My husband who knows zipppp About anything disney. Jsut told me last night that he heard the Rocket RODs people mover will be reopening up. He also added that the rockets from the front of TL would be moved back up top agian.

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let them be moving the Rocket Jets back up to the platform pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

But no combining of the Rocket Rods and People Mover - which reminds me, I know I have my old guides but I don't want to look for them, was it two words or one word? If they bring back the PM, it should be nice and leisurely like it was before. ALTHOUGH, if they could make speed through the Tron part, that might be cool, but then you'd miss the delicious cheesiness of Tron's voice threatening you through the blackness. ;)

-Allegra-

Disney Vault
05-22-2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.mousehub.com/pictorials/05202005/images/78.jpg

I thought this picture was interesting. The person who took the photo said "I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that silver support is new. What for?" So maybe something is going on with that track.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
I sure hope they are bringing back the PM.
The silver support might be new, just to keep the track from falling on guests. Isn't that what part of the problem was with Rocket Rods? The track couldn't handle the weight?
I don't ride AO, but I miss seeing it up there! MOVE IT!!!

PragmaticIdealist
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
The name of the PeopleMover is one case-sensitive word. But, neither "The Incredibles" nor anything else Pixar has done belongs in The Magic Kingdom. The Pixar films have settings that are too contemporary to fit with the timelessness of Disneyland. This fact is the reason so many Pixar characters have taken-up residence in the contemporary Disney's California Adventure. However, the connection between Pixar and California is not strong enough to support the ubiquitousness of the characters there, either.

If they must exist in the new park, the Pixar characters should only do so in a way that keeps the focus on California, and, specifically, on the factual reality of California. For example, if The Company insisted on importing "It's Tough to Be a Bug" when the park opened, a pre-show and post-show should have been developed that used the "a bug's life" characters to relate the show to agriculture and other industry in California. This is a "theme" park, after all.

Without a theme, what does Disney have but a big, multi-million dollar mess?

Andrew
05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
DBF, I think you're right; I don't remember that support beam there in the past. I hope it's temporary.

PragmaticIdealist
05-23-2005, 12:16 AM
http://www.mousehub.com/pictorials/05202005/images/78.jpg

I thought this picture was interesting. The person who took the photo said "I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that silver support is new. What for?" So maybe something is going on with that track.

The cylindrical object, which is now painted silver, actually has been there since the PeopleMover first opened. Back in the 1960's, a flag pole rose from that part of the track.

I believe that the flag pole was removed when Tomorrowland and the PeopleMover received a minor redesign to accompany the opening of Star Tours in 1986.

The lower portion of the pole was never removed, however. You probably just notice it now because of the new paint scheme.

Disney Vault
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
The cylindrical object, which is now painted silver, actually has been there since the PeopleMover first opened. Back in the 1960's, a flag pole rose from that part of the track.

I believe that the flag pole was removed when Tomorrowland and the PeopleMover received a minor redesign to accompany the opening of Star Tours in 1986.

The lower portion of the pole was never removed, however. You probably just notice it now because of the new paint scheme.
Never new that. It is amazing how there is always someone on here who can answer your questions. Thanks.