PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to the rumor - Space Mountain soft opening

Pages : [1] 2

Terri
05-22-2005, 10:50 AM
In surfing around...there seems to be a rumor of a soft opening for space mountain during memorial day weekend...

Any one know anything?!?

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 10:52 AM
In surfing around...there seems to be a rumor of a soft opening for space mountain during memorial day weekend...

Any one know anything?!?
Nope have not heard anything. BUt I am planning on going on Memorial day I will let you know.

sdfilmcritic
05-22-2005, 11:00 AM
This concerns me. The original plans were set for an opening in November which got bumped up to July. Now there's rumors about Memorial Day soft opening? Even if the rumors are true I'm concerned about the safety of the ride if the refurb would be rushed.

Alex S.
05-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Depends on how it was rushed.

But that is why they do soft openings. Killing people before official opening doesn't count.

nursemelis374
05-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Depends on how it was rushed.

But that is why they do soft openings. Killing people before official opening doesn't count.

Thank you for that vital piece of information.I will stear clear of soft openings. :)

Disney Village
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
This concerns me. The original plans were set for an opening in November which got bumped up to July. Now there's rumors about Memorial Day soft opening? Even if the rumors are true I'm concerned about the safety of the ride if the refurb would be rushed.

I see your point...if the crowds have been lower then expected since 5/5, there could be a sense of urgency to open SM to pump up the numbers on a major holiday weekend.

But if its a "soft opening", no one will know its going to be open in advance (not counting the internet community who are mostly AP holders) and therefore shouldn't affect attendance.

With the media spotlight on Disney for the 50th and after everything that's happened over the past 2 years with BTMR, I can't fathom Disney even considering compromising safety with what is arguably their most popular ride in the parks history by rushing to open it early.

If it is open this weekend, then (hopefully) all safety issues have been addressed and the reason is that they're ahead of schedule and ready for soft openings.

b-dof
05-22-2005, 01:09 PM
keep in mind that the track hasnt been changed.
so one wouldnt have to worry about the safty of the ride that much more now then they would have before the renovation.

mrcoffee
05-22-2005, 01:13 PM
keep in mind that the track hasnt been changed.
so one wouldnt have to worry about the safty of the ride that much more now then they would have before the renovation.

I was under the impression that they didn't change the layout of the track ,but they replaced the track. Making your point moot.

But looking past that, it's not like Disney can rush the ride through, and open it. This ain't the 1930's. It has to be signed off by quite a few people who determine it's safe, way before anyone can ride it.

Terri
05-22-2005, 02:46 PM
which then leads to another question...does anyone know why the Disney website no longer lists Space Mountain as closed for refurbishment? It was listed as being refurbished on Wednesday and then this morning the site states "no information available at this time" but only for the refurbishment section of the calendar. Everything else on the calendar is now up to date (including movies and entertainment in DTD) and it wasn't on Wednesday. That coupled with the rumors kinda looks like everything may be signed off...it's an iffy thing, I know, but it would be nice...

ChurroLad
05-22-2005, 03:16 PM

Any one know anything?!?

It might be the CM previews or general stress test. Same thing happened with Buzz, it opened before scheduled to test heavy amounts of people.

HorizonsA
05-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I hope not.

Terri
05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I hope not.
why?

Disneyfreak
05-22-2005, 04:37 PM
You know how rediculous that sounds when you guys say they are rushing and it has been closed for 2 years?

Mooshu
05-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Maybe they finished ahead of schedule and they are testing the capacity load on the ride?!?

Does that sound right?

splashmtngurl
05-22-2005, 04:51 PM
something doesnt sound right to me.....they have already been working over time to finish the ride early but i dont see how they could possibly open it THAT much earlier, even if it is a "soft opening".

HorizonsA
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
why?

Well...Before Buzz Lightyear opened they had soft openings, but they had announced soft openings. This annoyed me because how can you call it a soft opening when everyone knows about it? To me, soft openings should be unannounced so that when people go to the Parks, they would see that they are letting people on the attraction and that is would a surprise and previledge to exerience the attraction before the general public. But before Buzz Lightyear open, every day I would see thread saying, "Buzz Lightyear to have soft openings this Monday" or something. To me, that's not a soft opening because now the whole world knows. And then, after people ride it, they come to these Dieny sites and ruin the whole thing for the rest of us by telling us what they saw and how it goes. When I see those kinds of threads, I avoid them because I'd rather see/ride the attraction for the first time without knowing ahead of time what to expect. I know that Space Mountain is the same layout, but I don't want to know or see what they've changed in there yet.

That's my point of view about soft openings. I started a similar thread on another site about this very same issue but I was attacked and bashed for it, hopefully it won't happen again.

Terri
05-22-2005, 06:43 PM
That's my point of view about soft openings. I started a similar thread on another site about this very same issue but I was attacked and bashed for it, hopefully it won't happen again.

I think most of the people here are quite caring and should be open to everyone's opinions - whether or not they agree. I was curious as to your opinion and can agree with it. I'm hoping to go and see a non-advertised soft opening...

Traveling from Alaska, I'm hoping for Space Mountain to open...though I'm not holding my breath!
:p

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I do not know of any ride that has not had what you are all calling a soft opening. from my experiance disney has alway announced that a ride would open on such and such date yet everytime I could go early and it would be opened already. Some times it coudl be a few weeks early to just a few days early. It is just not announced And I find that because you walk by at one time and see it open you can come back ater and will be closed.

Baloo
05-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Well...Before Buzz Lightyear opened they had soft openings, but they had announced soft openings. This annoyed me because how can you call it a soft opening when everyone knows about it? To me, soft openings should be unannounced so that when people go to the Parks, they would see that they are letting people on the attraction and that is would a surprise and previledge to exerience the attraction before the general public. But before Buzz Lightyear open, every day I would see thread saying, "Buzz Lightyear to have soft openings this Monday" or something.

It's not that they are announced. Its just that with the internet infroamtion gets spread pretty fast. All they need is for one of CM to find out and the information is leaked thru the internet.

screamin4ever
05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I was under the impression that the roller coaster has been installed and is testing. All that is happening right now is the final installation of the effects and props. I have no idea if this is correct.
I did hear that the "suits" had already ridden and that the track is essentially the same with the same slow lift hills. Hopefully the effects make up for lack of a "launch."

LibertyCall
05-22-2005, 08:39 PM
*oh please, oh please, oh please.* :eek:

SilverStyle
05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Seriously doubt it. Sched to be open the 15th

DCAWhites
05-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Zero chance... The opening crew hasnt even been officially announed yet, let alone trained. Give it a month and a few days then lets bring a thread like this into the picture.

melmel
05-23-2005, 01:36 AM
When these sort of threads get created, any murmurs about this sort of thing at TDA get completely scrapped. They can't have you being "the first to know".

Terri
05-23-2005, 06:44 AM
When these sort of threads get created, any murmurs about this sort of thing at TDA get completely scrapped. They can't have you being "the first to know".

So then...will I be to blame if it's not open simply because I asked a question? :confused: