PDA

View Full Version : How much cash do you bring?

Pages : [1] 2

arpinl
05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Has anyone found/developed a useful formula for figuring out how much cash to bring to DLR (e.g. X dollars per day)? At home, I use plastic for just about everything, and while I know that most locations at DLR will accept that, I don't have a good feel for how often I'll need cash.

MyBeast
05-22-2005, 08:35 AM
The only things you really need cash for are the outdoor vendors. So things like popcorn, churros, chocolate covered bananas, balloons and such. All stores take credit cards, travelers checks, cash, disney dollars etc.

Alex S.
05-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I generally only make sure I have at least $20 or so with me. If I find I'm going to need more cash than that I can always stop by Disneyana and get some Disney Dollars (which avoids the ATM fees).

disneyhound
05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
The only things you really need cash for are the outdoor vendors...
I like to bring plenty of Travelers Checks with us, easy to cash at the Hotel, and use around the park in stores. Cash is necessary for carts and such. I hate putting our purchases on plastic, always a shock when the next statement comes in... :eek:

SCUBAbe
05-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I always go with at least $100.00 per day. Most of the time I don't come close to spending that much per day, but if I need it...it's there...:)

on a side note when I go to vegas I bring $100.00 a day to play with...however, in vegas I usually do use it all...LOL

Pat-n-Eil
05-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Right.. I usually use my debit card so I can avoid carrying a lot of cash. But certain things I like to pay Cash for. Restaurant tips are one of them.. if I plan on dining at Blue Bayou or another sit-down restaurant like Wine Country Trattoria or Storyteller's Cafe, then I'll leave the tip in cash so my debit card doesn't get those extra holds on it.

When I was using a "credit card" it didn't affect me too much, but once I started using the "debit card" I realized that if I left a tip on the card, then that amount of money available to me would be reduced by double.. Because they run the card when they give you the bill, then once you add the tip, they run it again for the whole amount.. and the first authorization (without the tip amount) stays as an authorization for awhile. This could add up to hundreds of dollars in authorizations tying up your account funds if you are on vacation and dining out a lot.

rentayenta
05-22-2005, 10:14 AM
No matter how much I bring, it's never enough. ;)

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 10:15 AM
When I was using a "credit card" it didn't affect me too much, but once I started using the "debit card" I realized that if I left a tip on the card, then that amount of money available to me would be reduced by double.. Because they run the card when they give you the bill, then once you add the tip, they run it again for the whole amount.. and the first authorization (without the tip amount) stays as an authorization for awhile. This could add up to hundreds of dollars in authorizations tying up your account funds if you are on vacation and dining out a lot.

Good point!

experiment626
05-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I bring $25/day cash for my family of 3. This is just for vending carts that do not take Credit Cards. We never use it all. So fo my upcoming trip I will bring $150 cash (for 5 days). Since I never know when we will want Popcorn or a Mickey Bar I always plan on it. But half the time we are too busy. So I expect to bring $50 - $75 of it home.

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
In other words small amounts of cash for vending is all you need. BTW I would think the places like the fruit stands would need cash only too but they actually do take plastic. I wonder if they have a regster if they will take plastic. And only thoses using an apron to hold money are the only ones not to take plastic. Just a thought.

disney jones
05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
usually just whatever i have with me, which isn't much. swinging by to get a fist load of Disney Dollars on a credit card is a good thing - it immediately establishes a budget for the trip and makes me cognizant that my resources are finite. i may have double-dip again for some Disney Dollars, but at least i have a great idea how much cash i'm going through on the trip and am not sunk by 28 line items from my VISA statement that is 2x what i thought i'd spent.

Speaking of $$$$CASH$$$$, one night last summer, we arrived in the middle of the night on Disney property to see an armored car with about 6 dudes inside, followed by an unmarked car with a guy talking on a radio. It seemed like a SWAT team or two - they appeared very heavily armed. I could be wrong, but it seemed apparent to me these guys in this convoy were taking the daily cash income from the parks off the site to bank or some other financial institution. I imagine the daily cash (bills and coins) to Disney from the Hotels and the two parks is an incredible sum - they probably haul out of there well over $1 million each day what we all have brought in. Say 40,000 people putting $100 each into Disney hands every day - that's $4 million in cash they have to get out of there each day. and i think my estimate is conservative. :eek:

PragmaticIdealist
05-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I generally only make sure I have at least $20 or so with me. If I find I'm going to need more cash than that I can always stop by Disneyana and get some Disney Dollars (which avoids the ATM fees).

That's a great tip, Alex. I have never used an ATM at Disneyland before, but, now, I'll never have to. I can just purchase Disney Dollars with a credit or debit card and even exchange the Disneyland currency for U.S. Dollars if I want.

Susan L
05-22-2005, 04:01 PM
I use plastic for the big purchases and cash for the little ones.

derraj25
05-22-2005, 04:05 PM
We are another family you can put in the "no credit card" rule. We have a family of four, and budget $125 a day for everything, (3 meals a day plus munchies). Our kids are 6 and 8 and they "save" their spending money via allowances, birthdays, holidays etc. It's tight, but it can be done.

--derraj

Shortiemetoo
05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I know its hopelessly old fashioned but I get travelers checks from my bank for free, so I travel with those and my debit card and only about $100 cash!

Vlyger
05-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I bring around $50.

pirateabbie
05-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I know its hopelessly old fashioned but I get travelers checks from my bank for free, so I travel with those and my debit card and only about $100 cash!

I like to bring most of my money in the form of travelers checks as well. You can cash them at the hotel, you don't have to keep making trips to the ATM and you don't have to worry if they're lost or stolen. You get change back from your purchases in the form of cash which you can use for the few places that don't take travelers checks.

Shortiemetoo
05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I like to bring most of my money in the form of travelers checks as well. You can cash them at the hotel, you don't have to keep making trips to the ATM and you don't have to worry if they're lost or stolen. You get change back from your purchases in the form of cash which you can use for the few places that don't take travelers checks.

So true pirateabbie. I only bring my ATM card for emergencies...the travelers checks are for all the reasons you mentioned!! :D

melmel
05-23-2005, 01:35 AM
I generally debit out $20 Disney Dollars for each full day trip for myself, in case I decide I want something from ODV or the Tiki Juice Bar. Of course, Disney is trying to switch over to the gift card, so it's becoming increasingly more difficult to get Disney Dollars. I think the only place you can get them is at ticket windows or City Hall.

mw9955
05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
We are another family you can put in the "no credit card" rule. We have a family of four, and budget $125 a day for everything, (3 meals a day plus munchies). Our kids are 6 and 8 and they "save" their spending money via allowances, birthdays, holidays etc. It's tight, but it can be done.

--derraj

You have the best budgeting rule! We visit the DLR at once or twice a year with our 5 year old.. (We stay with my brother in Fullerton thank goodness). But one trip last year, we decided to use our credit card for almost everything we bought in the resort. We thought it would be "safer" than carrying around cash.. It took that one trip to learn your budgeting rule - seriously we got our statement and could not believe how much we spent in 5 days at the resort :eek: .. pins, hats, pencils, pens, bags, toys, shirts, kid jewelry, coffee mugs, the darn PoTC rocks, and much more... Things that we don't use, have a need for, and stuff my daughter hardly ever plays with when we got home. I guess this being our only child we thought she would have a more memorable experience having all those "things." But of course what does she talk about?? All her memories are of mommy, daddy and her going on a certain ride together, or character interaction, parades etc.. I think the only purchase she cares about is her autograph book where we pasted pictures in.... Even if we had tons of vacation money to spend, which we surely don't, we would never do that again. $125 a day and a camera is perfect.. We don't need extravagant meals or endless souvenirs.. Maybe that one thing that we each GOTTA have..lol...And great idea for the b-day and allowance money - I bet my girl would love to earn that souvenir she wanted and will put more thought into choosing what it will be. I feel better getting that out!

SuefromRI
05-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Personally I don't like to carry large amounts of cash, so i use my credit card.
We bring $200 for a weeks trip, and I bring the ATM card for back-up, but have not needed it.

Leash81
05-23-2005, 07:14 AM
I try to use cash whenever possible so that I can keep track of how much I'm spending. If I use a credit card it seems like I'm not really "spending" any money so I buy way too much stuff. If I have cash I notice that my walet is starting to feel a little light and I try to control myself. That being said if I am making a large purchase, wether planned or not, I do use a card so that I will have the cash if I need it. Of course this time my family and I will be staying at GCH so I will have that whole thing of charging to my room which may prove disastrous to my bank account. :~D
As for how much cash I bring per day I budget about $10 per meal and $10 for snacks, what can I say I love the food at DL, this usually ends up being a bit too much but I like to have too much rather than not enough. And I bring between $30-$50 for souviners.

SummerinFL
05-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Here is how I budget.

Disney allows you to put X amount of dollars as a credit on your hotel room, providing you are staying onsite. I budget out how much per day it will cost for us to eat and add an additional $100.00 for the week we are there.

The girls each get $100 Disney Dollars that they can spend on whatever they want, I just make sure and tell them they get $100 and no more, mainly because I can't afford it.

When I go to the parks I leave all of my credit cards and debit cards in the room and charge everything to the room. The way I keep from over spending is I take a small spiral notebook and I document everything I spend, totalling it up as I go along. However, I do keep $20 cash with me just in case, although I have never had to use it because even those carts along the streets take the room key now, at least at WDW. :)

This way it keeps me under budget, the girls have their own money and I don't have to factor that in and the notebook takes up very little room that keeps me from going over budget!

Leash81
05-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Here is how I budget.

Disney allows you to put X amount of dollars as a credit on your hotel room, providing you are staying onsite. I budget out how much per day it will cost for us to eat and add an additional $100.00 for the week we are there.

The girls each get $100 Disney Dollars that they can spend on whatever they want, I just make sure and tell them they get $100 and no more, mainly because I can't afford it.

When I go to the parks I leave all of my credit cards and debit cards in the room and charge everything to the room. The way I keep from over spending is I take a small spiral notebook and I document everything I spend, totalling it up as I go along. However, I do keep $20 cash with me just in case, although I have never had to use it because even those carts along the streets take the room key now, at least at WDW. :)

This way it keeps me under budget, the girls have their own money and I don't have to factor that in and the notebook takes up very little room that keeps me from going over budget!

That notebook is a great idea Summer I think I will need to do that since I will be going for so much longer than I am used to, otherwise I will probably run out of money by day 2!

hlbtimes2
05-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Our up coming trip will be the second one that we've used the disney dinning plan. It doesnt save money, but it helps us budget. We've already paid for $300 worth of meals. We'll both start the day with about $20-40 in our pocket for little things- like paying the difference bettween a $6 food purchase and a $5 voucher, autograph book, pressed pennies, etc. Other souv.'s will be paid on our debit card. I dont worry to much about cash, I know where a couple cash machine's are in the park and on vacation I dont really stress over the couple bucks to use the machine. I know that might be a bad attitude, about wasting money, but vacation is the only time I do it, and I would rather leave most of my money in the bank until I need it.