PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary Impact

buzzzz
05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi -- I have a question for the DLR regulars. I just got back from two days (Thurs and Fri) at DL / DCA with my family. In my opinion it was horribly crowded. Now, the only thing I have to compare this to are my two previous trips, last year and the year before during the week following Labor Day. Those trips were admittedly during low season. While I was expecting somewhat more of a crowd this week, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. After all, this should have been between Spring Break and Summer Vacation.

So, the question is: is attendance up due to all the 50th Anniv. marketing, versus what I would have seen, say, last year at this same time (or might expect next year at this time)?

Follow-up question: how much more crowded *can* it get beyond yesterday. Is there even space to walk down the pathways on a capacity day?

Many thanks for any comments!

disney jones
05-21-2005, 07:32 PM
. In my opinion it was horribly crowded. ugh! i'm going next week Th/F and this is disappointing. :( i have no comments for you, but can you describe the wait times for some of the rides on Th/F? That will help clarify what you mean by "crowded"... thanks!

Ilovemypixie
05-21-2005, 07:38 PM
My girlfriend and I were there at 6 AM on the 5th, and the line was already backed up to C.A. At opening, the lines were past the tram entrances (I think... that's as far as I could see!!) We got in at 9:30, booked it (as fast as we could smush through the sea of people) to Tomorrowland to Store Command for the pin release, and stood in line for three and a half hours (were crazy pin traders). I'll post the pics my girlfriend took of the lines sat 6AM at the Entry Plaza, then the ones of Main Street, U.S.A. at 9:30. We were half way down Main Street when "traffic" stopped, then turned around to see a sea the other way, all the way back to the Railroad loading platform. I don't think we rode much of ANYTHING on the 5th. Lucky for us, we did C.A. the day before, and stayed until the 8th!

The only time I think it will be any worse is going to be on July 17, the official 50th. (Haha, were crazy AP holders. We're going back for the 17th. My girlfriend has never been on Space Mountain. She was too scared to go when she was a kid.)

buzzzz
05-22-2005, 04:04 PM
ugh! i'm going next week Th/F and this is disappointing. :( i have no comments for you, but can you describe the wait times for some of the rides on Th/F? That will help clarify what you mean by "crowded"... thanks!

It's difficult for me to quantify "crowded" other than comparing against my previous experiences. In general, I would say that the big rides commonly had a 60 minute wait. The fact that I arranged my day around Fastpasses made me think it was busy. I didn't even dare try the lines at Fantasyland rides, which all filled every queue switchback and then continued beyond that (although for some reasons Teacups was empty when we went by there, which made my daughter happy).

Like I said in my first post, I'm not a good one to measure "crowded", so I was hoping others could tell me what they consider crowded, and whether this time of year is normally crowded or if it's just the 50th marketing blitz that's packing 'em in.

Mooshu
05-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I was there on May 11th & 12th...I have to say it was MORE crowded than other days than when I have been for non peak days. I usually plan my DL vacations around non holiday, non peak days,

I am a ap'er and i usually go to DL around the times when school is out and when there are no major holidays...so to be there during mid-week and a non-holiday..and having to wait for Peter Pan or Indy for about 20 minutes was A TOTAL SHOCK!!! Not to mention Jungle Cruise...and the parade and fireworks WERE SOOOO CROWDED! (claim your space about an hour prior).

HAVE FUN! PLAN TO WAIT IN LINE AND YES IT'S MORE CROWDED THAN USUAL.

Terri
05-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Crowded is a relative term when it comes to amusement parks. a 60 minute wait for the rides is a "typical" summer crowd. It's pretty open and less crowded during fall and spring (unless it's spring break). Then there's the holidays...the worst is New Year's eve. I've only done that once (1978 - back in the stone age) and it was elbow room only. As much as I would love the crowds to be small (wide open spaces in frontierland...open area behind BTMR) I'm expecting lines for food and lines for rides (thus ridemax and fastpass) but no lines for restrooms...one can only hope! :D

RocketRob
05-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I've been to Disneyland at least once during each season and we usually try to plan our spring trip in mid-May and our winter trip the in early-December.

We just got home last night from an eight day stay (5/13-5/21). While mid week wasn't too bad, Friday and Saturday were really packed in my opinion. Being a non-holiday, non-summer time I was shocked at the crowds, wait times and the overall "packed" feeling the park had.

Were were stuck in a twenty minute dead stop trying to leave the 9:00 Fantasmic and head towards the hub. It was craziness, people were pushing and running over each other and this was AFTER the fireworks so I don't know where all these people were going.

I was kinda dissapointed at the crowds.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-22-2005, 09:21 PM
My girlfriend and I were there at 6 AM on the 5th, and the line was already backed up to C.A. At opening, the lines were past the tram entrances (I think... that's as far as I could see!!) We got in at 9:30, booked it (as fast as we could smush through the sea of people) to Tomorrowland to Store Command for the pin release, and stood in line for three and a half hours (were crazy pin traders). I'll post the pics my girlfriend took of the lines sat 6AM at the Entry Plaza, then the ones of Main Street, U.S.A. at 9:30. We were half way down Main Street when "traffic" stopped, then turned around to see a sea the other way, all the way back to the Railroad loading platform. I don't think we rode much of ANYTHING on the 5th. Lucky for us, we did C.A. the day before, and stayed until the 8th!

The only time I think it will be any worse is going to be on July 17, the official 50th. (Haha, were crazy AP holders. We're going back for the 17th. My girlfriend has never been on Space Mountain. She was too scared to go when she was a kid.)

We got to the park about 10ish on the 5th and were surprised the lines to get in the park were not bad. Then we got stuck in the gridlock on Main St and waited until that whole thing was done, none of which we could see, just the pigeons and fireworks.
But for the most part, I really didn't think the lines were all that bad. Walking through the park was crowded but I actually thought it was going to be worse. We were able to hit quite a few rides and saw POD, Remember and Fantasmic!
I am looking forward to a more relaxed trip in early November, when crowds are normally very slow.
My trip before May 5th was spring break and WOW, that was crowded and not fun!

socaltexan02
05-22-2005, 09:39 PM
I was there Monday, Thursday and Sunday of this week. (More than I usually go in one week! :D) I was unpleasently surprised at the weekday crowds. I guess w/ the 50th and all more crowds are to be expected...but I was thinking it wouldn't really it until this summer. (Once the initial 50th kick-off was over.)

I guess it's going to be like that for awhile!

nursemelis374
05-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I do think it is going to be more crowded. I usually go on Fridays when it is already crowded, but this week I might go on Thursday or Sunday for a change of pace so I will check the crowds. Probably pretty bad since it is going to be a holiday! The good thing is the crowds are better dispersed because more things are open.

olegc
05-22-2005, 10:26 PM
that some schools start to let out by Memorial Day across the country - so now with the 50th advertising and trying to get people to stay multiple days, plus more locals going, you will have constant crowds from now until September.

You may have a lull the 1st full week of june, before all of the Los Angeles schools let out, but that's about it. I was in San Francisco last week and to see all of the bus benches with ads for travelling to the park it was if the park was down the freeway. This huge blitz marketing is making is seem like you have to go - for multiple days - which means more weekdays being full.

My take? If you are a local - Go on a tuesday or wednesday for now until mid june - and plan your day. Have contingencies, take breaks, and figure out what you want to see - and come back again. It's going to be this way all summer so you might as well live with it.... or not go at all (yikes!)

RStar
05-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, I would say that the crowds are larger, and I would say it is due to:

1) The 50th. But not just because it is the 50th, but all of the advertising. However, I think a lot of the guests right now are mostly APs enjoying the new 50th stuff before the summer crowds hit.

2) The new parade and fireworks

3) The new Buz ride

4) Word is out how nice the park is looking

5) People are over the 9/11 travel fears and are comming back

And in that order, but that's just my guess.

EandCDad
05-23-2005, 05:59 AM
We went yesterday and the park was pretty crowded, but as usual, if you get there right at opening or soon after, you can ride quite a few things without much of a wait. No matter what day you do go, get there early, before opening.

RStar
05-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Hey Ed! I didn't know you changed your name to Paul McCartney! ;)

Gone2Disneyland
05-23-2005, 07:27 AM

I'm a Star Trek fan, tho' less so these days, and one of those who easily goes to midnight showings for Star Wars movie premieres. Over-crowding at fan-based events is nothing new to me. So frankly with me, it's all about expectations going into Disneyland this year as far as crowding goes. And I plan on bringing lots of patience on my visits there for the rest of this year. That and just going early when I can. Generally, the new things at the park I feel are worth the waiting and dealing with the crowds (mostly).

I was there on May 5 and honestly didn't expect Disney fans to be as faithful, excited, and abundant as Trek or Jedi fans, but they were. I got to the park at 7:30 a.m. and you can see my photos of the crowds I fell in line with on my site.

http://www.frankpepito.com/SnapShots_Disneyland50/Disneyland50.html

And because of these crazy fan forum boards I signed up on to get the scoop on when others were getting to DL on 5/5, I'm getting anxiety-filled thinking I'm going to have to get in line much earlier to be there on 7/17. :p

jennia
05-23-2005, 09:06 AM
We spent the day at Disneyland May 22. The crowds were lighter than I expected to be honest. We rode on all the rides we always ride on. The kids rode on MORE than we normally do in a visit. We were there at 8:00AM walking into the entry plaza.

DS brought a friend and we were able to get them on a number of rides by using our (4) tickets to get Fast Passes and then only the 2 boys used the 4 Fast Passes with only a 15-30 wait from the time we rode the first time (no fast pass) to the time that they were able to board *with* Fast Pass.

Around 3-4 PM the boys wen't to ride Autopia with Fast Pases I had collected before HISTA and the CM told them to keep the FPs that Autopia was "walk on". That has never happened to us during any of our Park visits!! :D

I'd have to say that (to me) Sunday seemed to be a very nice day crowd wise.

mkcbunny
05-23-2005, 10:44 AM
We went May 11-13, got there early every day, and we never waited more than 20 mins [that was only once, for Indy] and never even needed FastPass. That said, EE Thursday and Friday [especially Friday night] seemed VERY crowded. So, while we got on all of the rides we wanted to [which was just about everything, including all of the Fantasyland rides] and saw the fireworks and Fantasmic!, it did seem like the park itself was FULL of people. Maybe they were shopping and doing things besides rides [other 50th attractions, like the parade, etc.]. We tended to leave by 2 and rest during the afternoon and go back at night. It was mobbed on Friday night, around the fireworks and Fantasmic! shows.

peng
05-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes it was crowded, expecially around Pirates/Splash Mountain on Saturday. By noon my 5 year old wanted to go home. New Orleans Square was crowded and there was jostling to get through the crowds. But to compare to other crowded days, I happened to be there the first day of Indiana Jones, this was not even half that crowded.

On Sunday, May 8,{the day of the Regis and Kelly taping} still crowded in the afternoon but the morning was still very enjoyable and ToonTown was quite empty until around 2.

Both days we got there at least 1/2 hour before opening and had several hours of good quality fun. In fact the first day we rode Buzz Lightyear twice in a row with no line-up.

One other comment, the shops were crazy busy. I wanted to get a silhouette of my son and both days it was lined up. Twice I left a shop without getting what I wanted because the queue for the check-out was too long. But I actually expected it to be much worse.

vegasmommytoDL
05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Geez I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad yet.

I'll try to stay optimistic (see the countdown) ;)

Tutter
05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm still here at Disneyland hehehe yaaay. It's been very crowded - Indiana Jones wait is usually 60 to 90 minutes - but if you go during Fantasmic it is down to 30 minutes. Timing is everything - and of course Fast Passes make it easy.

I have been very suprised at how busy DCA is. Last week Grizzly River Run line was 45 minutes and Soarin' the same. The only one without a wait time seems to be Tower of Terror.

As others have said, word about the fireworks seems to have got out and trying to move immediately afterwards is nigh impossible for about 20 minutes.

All that said, the crowds haven't hindered my enjoyment at all. There are some rides I haven't been on, which I'd like to, because I don't want to stand in line (eg Peter Pan) - but there is still plenty to see and do - now with the cloudier, cooler weather on the way maybe the crowds will get smaller.

CinemaGal15
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
So, the question is: is attendance up due to all the 50th Anniv. marketing, versus what I would have seen, say, last year at this same time (or might expect next year at this time)?

Follow-up question: how much more crowded *can* it get beyond yesterday. Is there even space to walk down the pathways on a capacity day?

Many thanks for any comments!

The park is crowded partly because of the 50th, but it is also because colleges are out. High Schools are having their grad nites and so they come from different states, they get here early. Summer season begins in May through Sept. So enjoy the rush. It'll just get worse. As for how worse it could get... the day of May 5th will be the worse because it will be just as bad on July 17th, the 50th Anniversary.