PDA

View Full Version : Will Disneyland observe a moment of silence...

Pages : [1] 2

LibertyCall
05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
at 3pm on Memorial Day? I'm sure it's a long shot but I figured if any theme park type place was going to do it, it would be DL. Just curious.

TikiGeek
05-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm sure that the flag retreat ceremony will be all that more poignant on Memorial Day.

Disneyfun
05-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I highly doubt it. The one sore subject I have with disney, as much as I love them. Many years ago when a military barack was bombed during the middle of the night, (non war time) we had lost hundreds of men. All the flags were lowered in the USA. We had family at the time form out of town and went to spend the day at disney. There flag was not lowwered. When we complained at City Hall we were told. " Disney land is a place people go to forget about the real world. It is a world of imagination and they would not lower the flag. Needless to say this did not go over well with my family. As it turned out we had a family member who was in that barack. by sure luck he could not sleep that night and had left the building he passed the car that had the bomb inside it. He looked the killer in the eye. He had his hand on the door knob of the other building when THe bomb went off. He lost many of his friends and it was four days be fore we knew that he was actually alive.
Yes we went to disneyland that day. Thinking he had been blown up. We wereing trying to continueon with our lives. But we felt a second blow to our family when the park said they would not honor those who had died.

Now on the flip side. to our great surprise just recently we did see the flag at half mass. I even took a picture of it because I was so shocked. I do not remember if it was for the death of Regan or the Pope. It seems more recent that Regan. Either way it was down so I was surprised.

Rhiannon8404
05-21-2005, 03:05 PM
to our great surprise just recently we did see the flag at half mass
It was at half mass in obsevance of the death of the Pope. ;)

I believe it was at half mast when President Reagan died.

cstephens
05-21-2005, 03:07 PM

It was at half staff.

Rhiannon8404
05-21-2005, 03:13 PM
It was at half staff.
Ack...you're right...it's only half mast if it's a ship.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
05-21-2005, 04:37 PM
It was at half mass in obsevance of the death of the Pope. ;)

I'd think the Pope would rate a high mass. ;)

Simba's Mom
05-21-2005, 04:46 PM
I know this isn't in time for Memorial Day, but from mid-June til early August, DL has a more elaborate flag retreat ceremony with the All-American Band performing.

experiment626
05-21-2005, 05:53 PM
at 3pm on Memorial Day?
What is the significance of 3pm?

stitchfan_cm
05-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I plan on Disneyland doing the same this as every other institution that will be flying the American flag around the country on Memorial Day. The flag will be raised to half-staff in the morning, then at noon, will be raised to full-staff, until retreat, which should be around the 5 o'clock hour.

I knew my high school Air Force JROTC training would pay off. ;)

LibertyCall
05-21-2005, 08:24 PM
There's supposed to be a "National Moment Of Remembrance" at 3pm local time.

experiment626
05-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I have never heard of this until now. Is this something new or just something I have never heard of until now.

Mark Goldhaber
05-21-2005, 10:02 PM
The flag will be raised to half-staff in the morning
My turn at nitpicky. Flags are not raised to half-staff. They are raised fully, then lowered to half-staff. Always to the top first.

Osky
05-21-2005, 10:55 PM
My turn at nitpicky. Flags are not raised to half-staff. They are raised fully, then lowered to half-staff. Always to the top first.

Ahhh good. Glad I am not the only one. I was taught that:

1. You raise the American flag to full staff as quickly as possible.
2. You raise all other flags to full staff as quickly as possible and then lower slowly to half staff.
3. You lower the American flag slowly to half staff.

When bringing them down:

1. Raise the American flag as quickly as possible to full staff.
2. Raise all other flags as quickly as possible to full staff and then lower slowly to the bottom.
3. Lower the American flag slowly to the bottom.

So in short, always as quick as possible to the top, and slowly on the way down. Everytime you are raising/lowering the flag, they need to go to the top. And most important of all, the American flag is always higher than any other flag. Always.

Alex S.
05-21-2005, 11:01 PM
And of course, Disney being a private institution is under no obligation to do anything in particular with its flags.

If the flag was at half staff then I'm surprised. I didn't know they'd changed their policy (or I'd always heard their policy was as Disneyfun says).

Besides, the flag is located in turn of the century America. If the flag is ever at half staff it should be because McKinley was shot.

sleepyjeff
05-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Besides, the flag is located in turn of the century America. If the flag is ever at half staff it should be because McKinley was shot.

:geek: Shot at an expo where the very x-ray machine that could have helped save his life(had they thought to use it) was being exhibited :eek: :geek:

but I digress.........

I agree that the flag should stay at the top of the Poll. Says right on the dedication plaque why.

cstephens
05-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I've seen the flag in Town Square at half-staff on a number of occasions. Sometimes, I know what it's for - sometimes I don't.

PragmaticIdealist
05-22-2005, 02:44 AM
And of course, Disney being a private institution is under no obligation to do anything in particular with its flags.

If the flag was at half staff then I'm surprised. I didn't know they'd changed their policy (or I'd always heard their policy was as Disneyfun says).

I agree completely. Main Street, U.S.A. needs to be a remembered time and place divorced from contemporary reality. News of the 21st Century should not intrude on the middle America of the turn-of-the-19th-Century.

Does anyone remember the Disney characters in the original D.C.A. commercials. Snow White says, "The world ends at the gate." And, Goofy adds, "Disneyland is flat."

In a similar way, I do not understand the reason the California state flag flies over Town Square, either. It's not Main Street, California, U.S.A., after all.

Fly half-staff the American flags elsewhere on Disney property, but preserve the insularity of Disneyland, as well as the internal logic of the premise upon which The Magic Kingdom is based.

There is a reason newspapers from the outside world are only sold from the Newsstand on the Outer Lobby side. The Inner Lobby side has no knowledge of such things.

Drince88
05-22-2005, 03:38 AM
I don't know if they'd changed their policy earlier, but on our visit the week after Sept 11, 2001, ALL the flags on main street and around the park were at half-staff.

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I don't know if they'd changed their policy earlier, but on our visit the week after Sept 11, 2001, ALL the flags on main street and around the park were at half-staff.
I can not remember exactly but it seems to me that it has been since 9-11-01 that Ihave seen the flag down. But not much pior.
As for it being turn of the century main street, but then like others said there should be no California flag.
And as for it being on private property. That does not hold for me. Many people put flag poles on thier private property and would never even dream of not showing respect.

h_lehmann
05-22-2005, 06:46 AM
You went ahead with your plans to go to Disneyland that day because you wanted to "continue on with your lives", yet you appear to chastise Disneyland for doing the same thing. You can't have it both ways.

Disneyfun
05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
You went ahead with your plans to go to Disneyland that day because you wanted to "continue on with your lives", yet you appear to chastise Disneyland for doing the same thing. You can't have it both ways.
Yes I went to continue my life but In no way was I being disrespectful to the solidiers who lost thier life. A flag holds many feelings for many people. It is considered the emblem of our country and there are certain expectations that are expected when one has a flag. And certain expectations one expects to see when looking at a flag.
Disneyland has since changes its policy. My point was to share a story in regards to the topic, to show that I highly doubt DL will observe silence at 3:00 through out the park.

The old man
05-22-2005, 07:36 AM
...there are certain expectations that are expected when one has a flag.
Please, I see people displaying the flag incorrectly all the time--unlit at night, left in the rain, not hung correctly. To many it's just a feel-good to show what a "real" American they are. Better to worry about honoring the principles of America--freedom of speech, religion, democratic form of governance, etc. than to worry about the technicalities of honoring the emblem. IMHO.
David

Alex S.
05-22-2005, 08:30 AM
While I personally am not bothered by it, I can understand not liking Disney's policy (or, apparently, former policy) on this since in every other way they do follow the protocols for the flag on Main Street. So for them to decide not to do so in the instance when the flag is used in its most concrete symbolic role (to express mourning at a national level) for somewhat frivolous reasons (is anybody's day at Disneyland really going to be worse because the flag up front is at half-staff?) makes the rest of the pomp they surround that flag with seem somewhat hollow.

I doubt anybody is pounding their fists into the pavement and rending their hair from their head, but if it is important to you, I can see being a bit bothered.

experiment626
05-22-2005, 08:42 AM
I highly doubt DL will observe silence at 3:00 through out the park.
The fesability of this would just be way to difficult IMO.

Does Walmart or Home Depot observe the moment of silence at 3pm?

If you want to observe a moment of silence at 3pm go to TSI and there is usually a quiet area or two that you can do your observance.