PDA

View Full Version : 50th Merchandise Event Changed AGAIN!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disneynut1955
05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Posted today on disneygallery.com:

FESS PARKER WINE COUNTRY INN & SPA EXPERIENCE - Thursday, July 14, 2005

It is with regret that we announce the cancellation of the Fess Parker Winery package. We frankly did not get enough Guests registering for this add-on package and so the decision was made to cancel it and provide full refunds to those who had signed up. This was an exciting opportunity but we realize that there were just too many offerings to choose from and so we will look at offering it again in the future. Thank you for your interest in this package.

This is another glowing example of how poorly this event is planned. I am saddened to see the numerous troubles associated with such a milestone. First, they under estimated the demand for the higher priced packages. Second, they removed a number of the cheaper packages and then added to the number of attendees in the much hyped "exclusive" packages (and attempted to get away with it). Third, They over estimated the number of guests who wanted the Fess Parker experience. The diluting of the overall experience is from Special Events inability to come up with a solid plan and stick with it. As we have seen in the past, complicated pricing schemes and micro-events contained in one overall theme is a recipe for disaster.

The 50th event should have been 100% planned prior to being placed on sale. The evolution of the event with cancellations and additions is not how professional business is conducted. It is a true disservice to Disneyland during this important time. I for one think the experience for Fess Parker would have been wonderful but it is simply not the time nor place for it. Certainly, Mr. Parker should be invited to participate in events at Disneyland. Everyone at Disney seems to forget that this is the birthday celebration for Disneyland Park (not for WDW, the Disneyland Hotel, Fess Parker, Mickey Mouse or anyone else). I would prefer to see an event that was well thought out and planned around the central theme of Disneyland.

What do others think? My opinion, Event Services should have anticipated demand, remained firm on their packages and honored the experiences they have promised without regard for profit or loss. Is this truly about the customer and the loyal fans or about the dollars they hope to extract from us. Seems to me the magic is lost...

jiminycesq
05-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Posted today on disneygallery.com:

The 50th event should have been 100% planned prior to being placed on sale. ..... What do others think? My opinion, Event Services should have anticipated demand, remained firm on their packages and honored the experiences they have promised without regard for profit or loss. Is this truly about the customer and the loyal fans or about the dollars they hope to extract from us. Seems to me the magic is lost...

I guess I see it differently.

I do not feel the "magic is lost". True, the scheduling of the Fess Parker event seemed odd from the beginning - BUT, it would be an assumption, and nothing more, to think that timing was Disneyland's. Let us not forget Mr. Parker is not lacking in money and perhaps it was he who wanted to structure and price the add on package the way it was! It is possible Disneyland tried to work with his demands, isnt it? Possible? And perhaps he had a minimum and decided if it wasnt reached, he was opting out. You cant blame him, or Disneyland, and none of us here will ever know all the facts.

But I think it is unjustified to paint the entire planning team with a broad brush of incompetence and greed, as well. I will post my own experience on this subject when I have more time. For now, I will just say I am one of the 28 added to the Walt level and I am grateful. And I am one of the loyal fans, not some last minute wannabe party guest. I signed on just about the time the "gates " were supposed to open for registration and was left in the cold. The communication, responsiveness, and I dare say courteousness of everyone at Disney dealing with not only my disappointment but undoubtedly many similar complaints was consistent and professional throughout. Moreso than some of my own whining as well as that I have read on various boards!

I dont think we can lay all the changes at the feet of event services. Some, yes. Some you or I or others might find delightful, others disappointing. But I do believe that as a group they are trying to make this a great experience for everyone who opts to participate, and I fully expect it to be one!

Of course, sometimes life brings you what you expect - you see what you seek in events, and people. I see people trying hard to make an unforgettable event when they really dont have to do anything to sell that merchandise - this is a treat for collectors and with or without Mr. Parker, who is a very thoughtful and intelligent man, it will not be one iota less "magical".

Just my two cents. Thanks!

PS please dont make me wear a crossed out Mickey head at the event so you can ostracize me for being "allowed into the party".

maryxmas
05-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I believe Fess Parker was celebrating 50 years as Davey Crockett all this past year. It was on the winery website. Seems like a good cross promo to me.

Disneynut1955
05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
...But I think it is unjustified to paint the entire planning team with a broad brush of incompetence and greed...".

Respectfully, I disagree. I have worked in the entertainment field for years. A decent promoter (which is what Event Services truly is) takes a risk on an event. They do not constantly change the experience or pricing tiers in an attempt to keep the bottom line positive. My opinion remains the same, you do not plan an event, sell it and then constantly change it mid-stream. Sorry, they should have anticipated demand (or lack of) and made adjustments that were not noticed to the paying guests. This is why these people receive salaries as they are supposed to be experts in this area.

I will just say I am one of the 28 added to the Walt level and I am grateful. And I am one of the loyal fans, not some last minute wannabe party guest. I signed on just about the time the "gates " were supposed to open for registration and was left in the cold. ...

You are certainly not at fault for signing on when Disney told you to do so. The fact remains that the problems experienced on that morning were, once again, the sole fault of Disney and their subcontractors. Without question, I had nothing to do with the signup problems yet Disney felt it was ok to change my experience without notice and/or compensation. You were upset at Disney for not getting what you wanted and I was upset for not getting what I was promised. As we can both see, this was their fault and not yours or mine.

The communication, responsiveness, and I dare say courteousness of everyone at Disney dealing with not only my disappointment but undoubtedly many similar complaints was consistent and professional throughout. Moreso than some of my own whining as well as that I have read on various boards!...

You prove my point, you called them asking to spend money and they were polite. Several of us who had already PAID the money were treated like second class citizens and were told that we would never get a refund. Only with blasting Disney in public were we offered such. For the record, my phone calls were very polite in nature and the attitude we received was out of line.

I dont think we can lay all the changes at the feet of event services. Some, yes. Some you or I or others might find delightful, others disappointing. But I do believe that as a group they are trying to make this a great experience for everyone who opts to participate, and I fully expect it to be one! ...

For the record, I was not signed up for this portion of the package (Fess Parker). I think the whole thing upsets me as they keep changing the experience of the people who pay their salaries. In fairness, it is just my opinion and nothing more. I do believe they should have planned this whole event and then either rode it to success or failure. What about the guests who made travel plans based on the experience that has now been cancelled? Disney admits that it cancelled this event because of lack of interest and they would have lost money on it (from those who answer the toll free number on their website).

Of course, sometimes life brings you what you expect - you see what you seek in events, and people. I see people trying hard to make an unforgettable event when they really don't have to do anything to sell that merchandise - this is a treat for collectors and with or without Mr. Parker, who is a very thoughtful and intelligent man, it will not be one iota less "magical"... ".

I do agree in part, but it seems to me that too many people act like they are doing us some sort of favor. This is their job, they are paid a salary to get this right. They do not work solely in merchandise, but merchandise special events. They are not volunteers, but "professionals" who are paid money to see that our experience is a positive one, that merchandise is sold and to keep us (the high dollar customer) coming back for more.

please dont make me wear a crossed out Mickey head at the event so you can ostracize me for being "allowed into the party".

No way would I ever think of this. We may disagree but we are both fans of Disney and the 50th. My argument and opinion is just that. I lay fault with Event Services and nobody else and it is in no way a party foul to disagree with my position. I am glad that those who want to attend, now have the chance to do so. I continue to disagree with the way that Event Services handled the problem, which had nothing to do with you or any other guest.

adriennek
05-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Why are you bothering to go to any of it if you're so upset with how it's being run?

Adrienne

Disneynut1955
05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Why are you bothering to go to any of it if you're so upset with how it's being run?
Adrienne

I, unlike those at Merchandise Event Services, honor my commitments. My wife wants to go and I feel that even though I am upset with this I should honor my promise to her. I am unsure if you are aware of my previous posts where I asked for a refund (prior to consulting with my wife) and was denied such.

At this point, I have paid for something and having to honor my word to my wife, deserve to get what was promised to me. Maybe if more people complained about what is wrong at Disneyland, then we would find ways to fix the few things that remain broken.

Was it your stance to abandon the park when the maintenance and upkeep were lacking or did you voice your opinion in the hopes that something that was once grand would be returned to what you have come to expect from a corporate giant such as Disney?

adriennek
05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I am unsure if you are aware of my previous posts where I asked for a refund (prior to consulting with my wife) and was denied such.

Yes, I saw that and I saw where at the beginning of that thread, it said to call Martha if you had a problem. Then AVP twice encouraged you to call Martha - the phone number was on that thread. Did you ever do that?

Was it your stance to abandon the park when the maintenance and upkeep were lacking or did you voice your opinion in the hopes that something that was once grand would be returned to what you have come to expect from a corporate giant such as Disney?

I voiced my opinion.

When Disney said: "We're working on it." I waited to see what was going to happen.

When Disney said, "Talk to us about it, we want to talk to you about your opinions and concerns," I did.

Have you?

Adrienne

Disneynut1955
05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Yes, I saw that and I saw where at the beginning of that thread, it said to call Martha if you had a problem. Then AVP twice encouraged you to call Martha - the phone number was on that thread. Did you ever do that?

I voiced my opinion.

When Disney said: "We're working on it." I waited to see what was going to happen.

When Disney said, "Talk to us about it, we want to talk to you about your opinions and concerns," I did.

Have you?

Adrienne

I was waiting for the great defender of all that is Disney to arrive on the scene.

I realize that some of you here are beholden to Disney to keep your access alive, but it truly amazes me that some of the Disney "sheeple" still can't figure out why I am upset.

I did address the issue with several people at Event Services and was told in one sentence that "my experience will not be affected" to which I strongly disagree. I was then told "planning is not yet complete". If planning is not done, how can you assure me that my experience will not be affected? I was also told that my concerns "were unfounded". I disagree with this as well. Any concern from a guest paying $4000.00 should be addressed in a more professional way.

Now, I see that Event Services clearly admits another misstep in their process, yet you continue to challenge me for not sharing your opinions and your trust of certain Disney officials.

It is clear that Martha has dispatched her henchmen to silence the dissenting opinions. I have had previous problems with Martha not honoring what was sold to us. At last years Tower of Terror event, Martha felt it necessary to withhold our Disneyland passports under the incorrect assumption that we are annual pass holders. I have a right to disagree and prefer to make my arguments public in the hopes that this aspect of Disneyland will change for the better.

Baloo
05-20-2005, 10:51 PM
That is why they have disclaimers in the information packages that states that changes could be made. I have never seen any special event, concert or promotional event that does not have a disclaimer.

Like someone else said if you are so dissapointed then why go. take a step forward and let others experience that "intimacy" "exlusivity" that you wanted by not going.

The problem with these events as well as other promotional things done by disney is that many of thse that go do not go just for the experience but go to be able to purchase items which later they could sell on ebay for a profit. I am not saying that you are one of them but i am sure that several others are. I see it all the time.
After the evnt just log on to ebay and see how many people are selling their exclusive merchandise.

If you do go hopefully you do have a good time and realize that you are still one of many that which that could have been able to register.

Andrew
05-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I was waiting for the great defender of all that is Disney to arrive on the scene.
[...]
It is clear that Martha has dispatched her henchmen to silence the dissenting opinions.
Suggestion from someone not involved: Lose the conspiracy theories. They weaken your arguments.

AnotherPixie
05-21-2005, 02:25 AM
I can't believe you Disneynut1955 .......................

I can't believe that you are STILL going on about Event Services?!? Oh wait... I see the answer in what you said right here:

"I think the whole thing upsets me as they keep changing the experience of the people who pay their salaries."

That is the most arrogant thing you have said. What you said here is pretty self-absorbed too:

"I understand that some people are loyal to Disney and feel "lucky" to be included in this event. I am an informed consumer who realizes large corporations compete for my dollar. How I am supposed to feel "lucky" for allowing someone to receive my hard earned money?"

You've already said that you and your wife have enjoyed these types of packages before which means that you have a luxury that most Disneyland Guests will never have. That luxury of a choice, you actually have the ability to attend these events and all it takes is your decision on wether to go or not. There's something "lucky" for you to feel all warm and cozy about. :)

Also, you have your wife whom you obviously care about and you are both going to attend this event together. You'll be there with someone special in your life, something many other Disneyland Guests don't have as they have lost their loved ones.

Still don't feel important enough among 78 people? Do you honestly realize how many people that is? What a small insignificant number of people that is compared to the many thousands of Guests that you share your Disneyland experience with when you visit the park? Complaining about 28 extra people seems so childish when you look at the bigger picture, doesn't it? Who cares if Disney did it for more money?? In those 28 people are going to be Guests that will cherish this event among their most treasured memories, their smile inspired out of love for Disneyland and joy. I hope all who attend this event have the most happiest and wonderful time :) After all, that is the purpose of Disneyland, not the 'me me me me me', 'I want I want I want' attitude.

Still don't think Event Services is going to give you an experience worth your hard earned $4,000? I have a few suggestions to help you get your money's worth out of the Event....smile and enjoy yourself instead of keeping track of the ways you are paying the Event staff's salaries or how they are not earning your money that you worked so hard for.

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 06:44 AM
I can't believe you Disneynut1955 .......................
I can't believe that you are STILL going on about Event Services?!? Oh wait... I see the answer in what you said right here:.

Although I respect your opinion, I think we are confusing facts. I laid down my arguments and ceased complaining when Disney offered me a refund. This is all I ever wanted. If it were not for my very public "kicking and screaming" it is my belief that no refund would have every been offered. My recent post is not an extension of my previous complaint, but a new argument after they changed the event AGAIN by cancelling one of the additional experiences.

You've already said that you and your wife have enjoyed these types of packages before which means that you have a luxury that most Disneyland Guests will never have. That luxury of a choice...

We have enjoyed these packages in the past and that is why we signed up for this one. I feel that what happened last year at the Tower of Terror event was way out line (so did my wife and about 13 other people who all complained to Mary Murray, Martha's boss). Search the boards, did I complain? No, not one bit. This time, it is too much.

you actually have the ability to attend these events and all it takes is your decision on wether to go or not. There's something "lucky" for you to feel all warm and cozy about. :).

It actually requires more than just choice, it requires $2,000.00 per person. I made my decision to go based upon the advertisement and enticement of what was offered. Since that has now changed, I offered a valid argument as to why I should have been notified and offered a refund. Only after complaining did Disney feel it was "good business" to do so.

Also, you have your wife whom you obviously care about and you are both going to attend this event together. You'll be there with someone special in your life, something many other Disneyland Guests don't have as they have lost their loved ones.

Here you are 100% correct. I love her dearly and I would have sought my refund if it were not for her desire to still go. I agree, it is a beautiful thing to spend time with her at the park and it is sad that not everyone still has their loved ones around. I am thankful for her in my life but also remain cognizant of the fact that neither Disney nor Event Services did anything to bring her to my life.

Still don't feel important enough among 78 people? Do you honestly realize how many people that is? What a small insignificant number of people that is compared to the many thousands of Guests that you share your Disneyland experience with when you visit the park? Complaining about 28 extra people seems so childish when you look at the bigger picture, doesn't it?

One, this is not what this thread is about. This is about additional changes to the event that is obviously not well planned.

Two, even if I choose to ignore the issue of the added people, I think your argument is wrong. I am glad that you are a happy, unconcerned consumer who will allow the companies you patronize to change the deal mid-stream. Most of the people who took this stance were not the ones who paid the $2,000.00 per person to attend. The host of emails I received from almost all of the people who are attending at the highest levels indicates that more than enough agree with my position about changes to the event AND NOT NOTIFYING THE PAYING CUSTOMER PRIOR TO THE CHANGE.

Who cares if Disney did it for more money??

There it is right there! Who cares if a multi-billion dollar company changes the experience of a guest (who is not a billionaire) in order to pad the bottom line?? I care, it is wrong! Welcome to the Sheeple club, membership packets are on the table to your right...brainwashing is at noon.

Still don't think Event Services is going to give you an experience worth your hard earned $4,000? I have a few suggestions to help you get your money's worth out of the Event....smile and enjoy yourself instead of keeping track of the ways you are paying the Event staff's salaries or how they are not earning your money that you worked so hard for.

I appreciate your suggestion and I will happily take you up on it. I remind people about how the salaries of Event Services are derived from our monies because of several people who keep suggesting that the event managers are doing us a favor by planning this event. They do this for a living, they are not volunteers. I am sorry, I have no reason to be thankful to them at this point. At the conclusion of the event, when I have received what was promised then I will be in a position to express thanks.

I am not a person who goes simply to get the merchandise and then sell it on Ebay, I could care less. I do not care about 78 people vs. 50, but do care about the way this event continues to evolve in a unprofessional manner. I am truly sorry that some do not get this.

KTHoover
05-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Well said AnotherPixie!!!!! I have to totally agree with you. I am going to this event, and this is the first time that I have been able to do something like this. I am so thankful and yes I do feel lucky that my husband and I are going. It did not come easy for us to decide to spend the money for this but it was important to us so we decided to go for it. Maybe that is why we feel so happy and lucky about it because it doesn't come so easy for us. Some of the people were putting on the board, which I think is very rude, how much money they are gong to bring with them to the auction. All that did was make people realize that they don't have a chance in _ _ _ _ to get anything and also it made me realize why these people were so upset about things that didn't matter. I can't even begin to tell you how much I would have loved to be able to get the Walt's Apartment experience but I don't have a chance, which is okay because someone who hopefully will love it as much as I would will bid on it and win and think of it as something very very special. As far as Martha is concerned I think she is doing a great job on trying to make all of us have a wonderful experience. All the people who are attending this event I don't think we are going to have that much to do with each other except for the morning of the 17th and I ask all of you to please have a good time and have a smile on your face and don't spoil it for all the rest of us that can't wait for this event.

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Suggestion from someone not involved: Lose the conspiracy theories. They weaken your arguments.

Andrew, as you would guess, I disagree. Your employees have posted several times in public threads that I should not make this public but instead "call Martha".

Direct quotes from some under your employment:

05-11-2005, 11:19 AM "It is not true , and I've been asked to PLEASE nip this rumor in the bud"

05-11-2005, 11:26 AM "I've been trying to track down the relevant people to see what rumors needed to be squashed."

05-11-2005, 12:07 PM "Who did you ask? If you are serious about wanting a refund, I suggest contacting Martha directly."

05-11-2005, 12:21 PM "...I don't think it's a matter of people not listening to you, I think it's just that people know that I have contacts inside event services, so when I say "this is official from event services," they know it really is..."

05-12-2005, 10:30 AM "...please - PLEASE - call Martha's office and let her know the source of the misinformation. They are working quite hard to quell the flow of misinformation on external discussion boards, and if it turns out that it's coming from an internal source, they can put a stop to it quite quickly."

Seems to me this more than proves my allegations.

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Well said AnotherPixie!!!!! I have to totally agree with you. I am going to this event, and this is the first time that I have been able to do something like this. I am so thankful and yes I do feel lucky that my husband and I are going.

KT, there is nothing to feel lucky about. You did not win the lottery, you PAID for an experience and deserve, like the rest of us, to get what you paid for.

[QUOTE=KTHoover]It did not come easy for us to decide to spend the money for this but it was important to us so we decided to go for it. Maybe that is why we feel so happy and lucky about it because it doesn't come so easy for us..

Exactly why this event should be what was promised.

Some of the people were putting on the board, which I think is very rude, how much money they are gong to bring with them to the auction. All that did was make people realize that they don't have a chance in _ _ _ _ to get anything and also it made me realize why these people were so upset about things that didn't matter. I can't even begin to tell you how much I would have loved to be able to get the Walt's Apartment experience but I don't have a chance, which is okay because someone who hopefully will love it as much as I would will bid on it and win and think of it as something very very special.

Tell you what, how about as a true disney fan, should I win this experience I will take you along at no charge as my guest. I am upset for a very valid reason and I am sorry you still do not get it.

KTHoover
05-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Disneynut1955 I did understand like I said before why you were upset to begin with but I thought that when they offered the refund that took care of this issue for everyone. I don't disagree that they should have told the people in the top 3 packages that they were doing this and offer the refund up front but they finally did offer the refund. The thing I don't understand is why you don't feel lucky about getting this. I realize that they have more people added on but a LOT of people didn't get any of the top 3 packages because they sold out. I took off work the morning that we had to try to get these packages to make sure I was able to get one but I am sure a lot of people don't have the ability to take off work and log on at 9:00 am when they don't get home until 6:00 pm, so that make me feel lucky. Again, I DO understand why you were upset to begin with I don't understand why you still are upset when they did make good by offering a refund.

On a lighter note I will be the one who will have to make one bid for the Walts Apartment just to say hey I bid at a live auction :) That was very sweet thing to say (Tell you what, how about as a true disney fan, should I win this experience I will take you along at no charge as my guest.) but if you win I will be the first person telling you congradulations and how cool that is going to be for you!! I hope you do win because I do think you are a true Disney Fan who will appreciate and love the experience. I think you are just a person who feels strongly about things and so do I and that is why I love this board so much :)

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Disneynut1955 I did understand like I said before why you were upset to begin with but I thought that when they offered the refund that took care of this issue for everyone. I don't disagree that they should have told the people in the top 3 packages that they were doing this and offer the refund up front but they finally did offer the refund. The thing I don't understand is why you don't feel lucky about getting this. I realize that they have more people added on but a LOT of people didn't get any of the top 3 packages because they sold out. I took off work the morning that we had to try to get these packages to make sure I was able to get one but I am sure a lot of people don't have the ability to take off work and log on at 9:00 am when they don't get home until 6:00 pm, so that make me feel lucky. Again, I DO understand why you were upset to begin with I don't understand why you still are upset when they did make good by offering a refund.

On a lighter note I will be the one who will have to make one bid for the Walts Apartment just to say hey I bid at a live auction :) That was very sweet thing to say (Tell you what, how about as a true disney fan, should I win this experience I will take you along at no charge as my guest.) but if you win I will be the first person telling you congradulations and how cool that is going to be for you!! I hope you do win because I do think you are a true Disney Fan who will appreciate and love the experience. I think you are just a person who feels strongly about things and so do I and that is why I love this board so much :)

I think I should clarify a little. When they finally offered a refund, I did post somewhere on here that I was much happier and that I appreciated the fact that they were now doing what I consider to be good business. I would have taken the refund and moved on, my wife did not want to. My comments ceased at that point.

I was very disappointed to see yesterday that they cancelled the Fess Parker event because of "lack of demand" and then was told by those at the toll-free number that they did so because they would have "lost money on the experience". It was because of this that I started a new thread and not a continuation of my previous argument. My point is simply that Disney is a multi-billion dollar company who builds its image by "selling" the ultimate guest experience. I do not think that selling a package, allowing some to get excited about it and possibly pay for their travel plans and then canceling it is the correct thing to do. As a promoter you have to judge demand accordingly, sometimes you make money, sometimes you don't.

If you take the total number of registrants for the Fess Parker event and add together their registration fees, it is less than $15,000.00. The fact that they sold some of the rooms, indicates to me that they should have let the event continue and eat a few dollars if need be. Please see my point, $8,000.00 - $10,000.00 is a small price for Disney to pay for their obvious misstep in planning. Instead, Disney routinely affects the experience of their guests without regard to OUR bottom line in an attempt to keep their end profitable.

I am more than serious when I say that I would gladly take you with me should I win the Walt's Apartment experience. Sometimes you spend or even lose a little money as it promotes good will..... Disney used to think this way and now they seem not to (at least in the Event Services area).

It is my opinion that for guests to have a truly unique and memorable experience you do not keep changing the experience as it was promised irregardless of your disclaimers to the contrary. Please remember, I continue to voice my opinion as it seems to bring about change...I am not looking to spoil your experience, I am looking to make sure that Disney Event Services realizes that ALL event attendees are important regardless of the money you spend and that we are people and not figures on a spread sheet.

As you have pointed out, we are not all wealthy people. Some people have made true financial sacrifices to attend this event. These people are the ultimate Disney fans and they are truly the ones who should have exactly what they are promised.

KTHoover
05-21-2005, 09:18 AM
I have to say Disneynut1955 well said about a lot of issues :) I totally agree with you about keeping the Fess Parker event going. I am sure a lot of people are very disappointed about this, I would have been if I was doing it and that is wrong. It is disappointing when a company that we love so much appears to be doing something just to make a profit. But we do have to realize that with the wrong information being given out from the event services, like when they told you they were going to kick us out after breakfast, that maybe they have a good reason and not the one that was told that they canceled this event, I hope so. Also I think we would be foolish not to realize that Disney is after the buck that is why they are such a big business, big business is after money. But I do believe that Disney is different from most businesses and they do want to do what is best for us. Is it always going to work out that way? No of course not. I think Walt himself was a big business man and I am sure sometimes he had to cancel things that he didn't want to. Hopefully if the answer they got wasn't correct they can call Martha directly and find out what is the correct answer and tell us. I might just call myself to see what I am told about this.

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I have to say Disneynut1955 well said about a lot of issues :) I totally agree with you about keeping the Fess Parker event going. I am sure a lot of people are very disappointed about this, I would have been if I was doing it and that is wrong. It is disappointing when a company that we love so much appears to be doing something just to make a profit. But we do have to realize that with the wrong information being given out from the event services, like when they told you they were going to kick us out after breakfast, that maybe they have a good reason and not the one that was told that they canceled this event, I hope so. Also I think we would be foolish not to realize that Disney is after the buck that is why they are such a big business, big business is after money. But I do believe that Disney is different from most businesses and they do want to do what is best for us. Is it always going to work out that way? No of course not. I think Walt himself was a big business man and I am sure sometimes he had to cancel things that he didn't want to. Hopefully if the answer they got wasn't correct they can call Martha directly and find out what is the correct answer and tell us. I might just call myself to see what I am told about this.

I do agree, information provided in the past has not been 100% reliable. I tend to believe the "losing money" statement as their official website clearly says demand was not there and as a result they cancelled it. Their website goes on to further state that with the numerous options available to people that it was simply too much. Again, I believe this is an admission of poor planning.

I fully realize that Disneyland is a for profit enterprise. Where my argument comes from is when people like Greg Emmer (VP of Disneyland) says that these events are "not truly for profit" (a direct quote) but more for the "experience" of the true die-hard Disney fans.

We see the exact opposite with this event, that it is clearly motivated and driven by the bottom line. For any business, cost is an important factor, however, Disney is certainly able to shoulder some of the expense to make sure each guest is given what is promised. I have no problem with anyone making a profit, just don't throw me under the bus in order to so!

Photo of us and Greg Emmer:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/daboggs/Picture018.jpg

AnotherPixie
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
We have enjoyed these packages in the past and that is why we signed up for this one. I feel that what happened last year at the Tower of Terror event was way out line (so did my wife and about 13 other people who all complained to Mary Murray, Martha's boss). Search the boards, did I complain? No, not one bit. This time, it is too much.

Well Mr. Boggs, if you had such a bad time at the TOT event, why on earth would you pay $4,000 for yet another poorly planned/executed Disney event services?

I am thankful for her in my life but also remain cognizant of the fact that neither Disney nor Event Services did anything to bring her to my life.

I never questioned wether they did. I was stating that because you have someone special, because of your wife you should start thinking about the positive things that could come out of this event instead of the negative. If there is to be anymore negative changes to the event, you cannot control that. However, you can control how positive it will be. After all, you stated that the only reason you are still going is because of your obligation to her by way of a promise. With that said, be positive for her. You both should have a wonderful time :)

I am glad that you are a happy, unconcerned consumer who will allow the companies you patronize to change the deal mid-stream.

That's the way it goes in Entertainment Event planning. Things happen. Things change. I would never expect anything to be set in stone. That's just not the way the entertainment world works. No, I don't believe in whining like I have seen here. It just seems so self-absorbed. I do believe however, in critisim that strives for a solution for all involved without losing sight of the positive. A balance needs to be there.

There it is right there! Who cares if a multi-billion dollar company changes the experience of a guest (who is not a billionaire) in order to pad the bottom line?? I care, it is wrong! Welcome to the Sheeple club, membership packets are on the table to your right...brainwashing is at noon.

You're so right, it is wrong!! Down with Event services!!! Curse them!! Pirates!! I bet after the event is over Martha and her Cast go backstage and dance about, boasting about how they were able to take Guests money so that they can have their salaries without earning it. Shame on them!!

:rolleyes:

Oh, about the Sheeple club. When I go to a Disney event and it is changed, I don't get mad and stomp my foot. I don't huff and puff like a young child. No, I instead salvage what I can of the event and I make it the most abosulte fun. I want to see my children and family smile, I want them to enjoy themselves. It's kind of hard for them to do that if mommy is sitting off to the side, grumbling and mumbling negatively towards an event they should enjoy. So....if this type of attitude earns me a membership to the Sheeple club, then I welcome it :)

That's okay about the brainwashing. I'll pass. Reality is far better than brainwashing. Entertainment events are always subject to change, wether it because of poor planning or unforseen circumstances. Either way, it is more important to put your energies into enjoying yourself and those you are with than wasting it on things that are beyond your control. Wether or not you have a good time is up to you. I hope you and your wife end up having a great time. :)

I remind people about how the salaries of Event Services are derived from our monies because of several people who keep suggesting that the event managers are doing us a favor by planning this event.

I just can't judge people in such a bitter way. I can't group all of Event Services in one negative sum.

Anyway..
I do hope that you all have a great time though. I expect to see pictures and full reports!! :)

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 12:59 PM
if you had such a bad time at the TOT event, why on earth would you pay $4,000 for yet another poorly planned/executed Disney event services?

It does not appear that you are reading my posts. I was promised in very certain terms that what transpired would NEVER happen again. Obviously that is not the case.

The other thing is that you overlook the obvious. I was very enticed by what was promised and now that it continues to change in a negative fashion, I am not as excited about it. Never once did I "huff and puff" at the Tower event, I made the best of it. It is people like you who paint everything as perfect, when it clearly is not, that allow people like us to get cheated. I am glad that you feel things are great, I don't feel the same way and judging by the countless people on here who email me, I assume others agree. I am saddened that the rest of them do not have the guts to take on the endless propoganda and mob mentality like I do.

I will spend some serious time talking to the wife about backing out this event. Things will never change unless people demand it and I disagree with your "suck it up and take it" way of dealing with things...... Sorry.

Your are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am as well. Although we continue to disagree, I hope your event turns out the way you hoped it would.

05-21-2005, 01:50 PM
What do others think?

I don't have the opportunity to attend these special events. I don't collect or sell limited-edition anything.

So factoring in the above: 1) it's okay to cancel events that don't "make" (Fess Parker), 2) it's not okay to add slots to events already advertised as available only to X number of attendees.

adriennek
05-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh, this is funny.

FIRST you laid this one on me:

NOW you're saying this of me:

Which one is it, Disneynut1955? Am I a person who has voiced my opinion when I was unhappy with Disney or am I the great defender of all that is Disney? Hmm?

It's all out there on the internet, Disneynut. I'm not a great defender. Do some research. I'm standing back refusing to proclaim Matt Ouimet the King of CMs prematurely. I've got plenty of proof that I'm not the great defender of all things Disney.

I realize that some of you here are beholden to Disney to keep your access alive, but it truly amazes me that some of the Disney "sheeple" still can't figure out why I am upset.

This one's funny, too. On so many levels.

But I digress.

You're the one who brought up not getting a refund when you asked about it as a great injury that you have incurred in this wholey unacceptable experience that you're insisting on paying for.

OH, but wait... then you did admit...

When they finally offered a refund

Finally you said:

I will spend some serious time talking to the wife about backing out this event. Things will never change unless people demand it and I disagree with your "suck it up and take it" way of dealing with things...... Sorry.

And see, I agree, things will never change unless people demand it. And I think that refusing to pay for an experience that you expect to be not worth the money you pay for it is a lot more logical than complaining about how ripped off you're feeling over the whole thing.

You asked before if I had not voiced my opinion in the past, and I think this is an excellent example:

When DCA opened, I was very disappointed. My initial articles reviewing DCA are available on MousePlanet and reflect this. But I did more than merely complain, I did, in fact, refuse to patronize DCA. I refused to pay for a two-park AP when there was so little for me to do at DCA with my young son(s).

I did back up my complaints with my pocketbook. It was not easy. I wanted to go and have whatever fun and experiences there were to be had there, but it was not worth the price of admission. I was not going to pay what they asked for that experience. I never did own one of those two-park APs until the day that all APs became two-park APs.

I don't know that my one refusal was noteworthy but obviously, people voted with their pocketbooks about their dissatisfaction with DCA and the resort was at least forced to make some sort of change.

No, I'm not a "sheeple". Yes, I practice what I preach.

Adrienne

Disneynut1955
05-21-2005, 02:32 PM
And see, I agree, things will never change unless people demand it. And I think that refusing to pay for an experience that you expect to be not worth the money you pay for it is a lot more logical than complaining about how ripped off you're feeling over the whole thing.

Again, I guess nobody can read.... If I was informed of these problems before I bought, I would not have paid. I am complaining because it has changed after they have accepted my money.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

cstephens
05-21-2005, 02:52 PM
If it were not for my very public "kicking and screaming" it is my belief that no refund would have every been offered.

You assume too much. I can't even imagine the hubris someone must posses to think that they are solely responsible for such a major decision, especially a decision that was apparently made but incorrectly passed along by some Disney employees.

I remind people about how the salaries of Event Services are derived from our monies because of several people who keep suggesting that the event managers are doing us a favor by planning this event. They do this for a living, they are not volunteers.

IMO, the "I pay your salary" argument is the weakest and stupidest (yes, I'm using that word) one of all. People use that argument to incorrectly treat all kinds of people badly. In a way, I pay the salaries of the employees of numerous entertainment companies, so I guess I can use that argument to treat them poorly too.

Andrew, as you would guess, I disagree. Your employees have posted several times in public threads

OK, did anyone else laugh as hard as I did when they read this? Does anyone have AVP's cel number and have called her to tell her that she's now Andrew's employee?

I'm attending the 50th event. I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm not happy with how the packages changed, but I'm willing to see how it turns out, and I recognize that it wasn't solely the fault of special events for the registration snafu that arose. If I was so mad about what happened, I'd have taken the opportunity to get the refund that was offered to me. I can understand that people who signed up for the Fess Parker event would be disappointed because the event was cancelled, but I can certainly understand that if there weren't enough people who signed up, it made sense to cancel. Last I checked, Disney was not a charitable organization. Since it was an extra add-on and not part of the 50th event proper, I don't see that it's particularly related to the changes in the 50th event registration.

And in my experience, anyone who feels the need to call others mindless sheep simply because they disagree have pretty much blown all of their credibility to smithereens.