PDA

View Full Version : DCA's 1st Birthday 2-8 - Any GUEST Celebrations Planned?

KarenW2
01-25-2002, 08:54 AM
My DH and I will be coming to DL & DCA on 2-8, to celebrate his birthday. Since it is also DCA's 1st birthday, I was wondering if there was anything planned for GUESTS to mark the occasion? Or just a moment of silence perhaps? :)

Any special merchandise available? If so, what would it be? Since we were there last year for Opening Day & picked up some commerative goodies then, we'd like to do the same this year, if at all possible.

Will the park be overrun with CMs for their "Blast"? Sure hope not. We have dinner plans with friends that night & hope to be gone before that happens.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this!!

Nigel2
01-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Well since it wasn't a big fabulous sucess (give it time it will get better) odds are they are going to do nothing major or at all. (Kind of like disneyland on a non 5/10 year)

KarenW2
01-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Any new info on this??

Thanks,

bluepearl
01-28-2002, 11:22 PM
I certainly hope that there will be some sort of commemorative merchandise available! That wouldn't be good for my checkbook, but if the merchandise was of really high quality, I would certainly be happy.

I was also under the impression that the Blast would be after park closing? Well, just add to the questions I'm going to have to ask somebody tomorrow!

PinkFloyd
01-30-2002, 01:55 PM
I read somewhere that the event will be very low-key. A few collectable pins will be made availabe for purchase and that there will be a small ceremony at 9:45(?) hosted by Ms. Harris.

I wonder if the lack of fanfare is due to buget contrants; embarasement that the park was not the success they had hoped or both?

AVP
01-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Disney's California Adventure celebrates its first birthday with a very low- key event. Look for more details in a future D-I-G update, but here are the basics: On Friday, February 8, a thousand KABC-TV promotion winners will have early access to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot district.

The main gates open to day guests at 9 am. A small ceremony with Cynthia Harriss and Barry Braverman is scheduled at the Sunshine Plaza area for 9:45. Guests receive an anniversary button as they enter the park, and will be held in a viewing area near the Sunshine Plaza until the ceremony ends at 10 am.

As for merchandise, there might be an anniversary pin released, but no other commemorative items are planned.

Marty Markham
01-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Just saw something today about a ceremont at sunshine court and a free badge.. I'll be there.

Gemini Cricket
01-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Marty Markham
Just saw something today about a ceremont at sunshine court and a free badge.. I'll be there.

Cool name. I love "Spin and Marty".:)

WizKidRyan
01-30-2002, 03:27 PM
I'll be there in the afternoon...Does anyone want to have an unofficial get together, since I'm sure there will be lots of MousePadders there :)

Marty Markham
01-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Disneylad, Thats keen becuase I really like Dave Mathews. I was debating on if I should put a pic of Spin And Marty as my avatar, but i found that pick of me and decided to use it instead... Needless to say i think your avatar is cool.

James:D

bluepearl
01-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Are those buttons only going to be available in the morning? I have class from 12:40-1:30 and was planning on going down there in the afternoon. I would love to get a commemorative button, seeing as I really like this park!

Gauchograd99
01-31-2002, 08:06 PM
My personal DCA birthday will be the same thing I do everyday during the week.. work and wish Disney could get its collective head out and fix the problems that they know exist.
- NEVER build a steel coaster using wood technology (wood gives you dimwits)
- NEVER build a ride around your television lineup!
- NEVER build a park and theme it to the exact state it is in (I am not talking about denial either)

In all seriousness, I cannot make it to DCA before it closes that night so I guess I will not be doing anything for the birthday.

2CN
02-01-2002, 09:49 AM
umm... what wood technology did they use on the steal coaster??:confused: As far as I know, all that technology on it is not from a wood coaster.

Ghoulish Delight
02-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Yeah, there's no woody 'technology.' It's woody "themed" so to speak. With the useless extra latice work supports added to make it look like a woody, as well as woody style ride elements (like the negative-g humps and big sweeping turns). But that is all to fit in with the boardwalk theme. Making it steel allowed them to use the LIM (linear induction motor) accelerators as well as add the loop. I don't see the big deal. I think they did an excellent job of keeping the theme consistent while being able to add these elements to keep it ineteresting.

Upanova
02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
OH please God let there be birthday cake!

Hee...well, it might be worth it to get to work early that day....

Hmmm...I wonder what this press event will be like. I've only been to the Tomorrowland's reopening.

Upanova:p :p :p :p

Gauchograd99
02-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Are you completely sure they did not use ANY woodie technology in the coaster? From the look of the structure in many places, woodie reinforcement work was done, only with steel. As I have heard from a couple places, there seems to be some shearing (tearing) of the steel in the structure somewhere and it is due to the use of woodie tech in a steel coaster. If this info was from someone pulling my leg then I apologize... but next time remove the loop and just simply make it from wood instead of to look like wood. :)
Woodies rules, steel is alright. Ghostrider and Colossus before Golaith and Screamin.

Gemini Cricket
02-01-2002, 05:12 PM
I got this bit of news from another unofficial Disney site:

"Barry Braverman of Walt Disney Imagineering will officially announce the upcoming additions to Disney's California Adventure in a short ceremony to be held on February 8th at 9:45 a.m. inside the Park."

:)

Probably more WDW transplants...
:(

Nigel2
02-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Ok, I was told by a physicist (long story) that obsesses with coaster that a wood coaster can not go upside down. He had some reasons why but I forgot any help here.

2CN
02-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Gauchograd99
Are you completely sure they did not use ANY woodie technology in the coaster? From the look of the structure in many places, woodie reinforcement work was done, only with steel. As I have heard from a couple places, there seems to be some shearing (tearing) of the steel in the structure somewhere and it is due to the use of woodie tech in a steel coaster. If this info was from someone pulling my leg then I apologize... but next time remove the loop and just simply make it from wood instead of to look like wood. :)
Woodies rules, steel is alright. Ghostrider and Colossus before Golaith and Screamin.

The woddie reinforcement look is just that... a look. It isnt there to support the ride. It has no woodie coaster technology in it. It is like saying RNR has woodie technology. The woodie support bit is just WDI theming.

And I'll take Screaming any day over Ghost Rider, and that is one of my all time fav rides.