PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional information for DLR foods... (more)

Rhiannon8404
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I did a search, but failed to find anything asking about nutritional information. I am currently on Weight Watchers. I'm going to try to stay on plan during my upcoming trip, but I know there will be splurges from time to time.

I was just wondering if there was anyway I could get a list of nutritional information for the parks? I don't care if I have to ask at each venue or if I need go to City Hall. I'd just like to have some idea of what I'm eating.

millionairegirl
05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Ha! I tried so hard to find this out a couple years ago. I even called City Hall, and got the run around. I was just trying to find out the number of calories in a Churro. My sister and I had a bet, I was betting it was at least 400 calories, and she thought it was less. I never did find out. I bet if I asked in person I could find out.

But anyway, try going to City Hall in person, or asking managers at the individual restaurants. The have to have ingredients listings for allergies, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had nutritional information as well.

CptJackSparrow
05-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I just googled this for fun and a typical churro from costco has 240 calories--no idea if one from DL is the same for what it's worth...

hlbtimes2
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Dont let not having nurition. info worry you. You'll just have to use guestimations, and go with it. You'll be doing a ton of walking, which will give you some activity points. There are healthy choices avaible.

Some healthy ideas:
Breakfast: steel cut oatmeal at Storytellers
cereal, fruit and yougurt at the Lilo and Stitch breakfast

Snack: fresh fruit from the carts through out the park

Lunch or dinner: chicken tacos without cheese- a couple places you could get those
a sandwich on main street- order it with out mayo
a salad, and use the fork dip trick so you dont get to much dressing

Those are just a few ideas. I'll give you more if you would like.

Rhiannon8404
05-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your replies! All to often in the past I've used vacations as an excuse to simply pig out and eat whatever I want. This is the first year I feel "mature" enough to not do that. I'm trying to consider what food items at DL I "must have" (corn dog from red wagon) and what I like, but really could live with out (Micky ice cream sandwiches).

hlbtimes2, I'm sending you a PM.

TikiGeek
05-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I just googled this for fun and a typical churro from costco has 240 calories--no idea if one from DL is the same for what it's worth...With all the walking you'll do you could eat 2400 calories a day. Here's a DL diet plan:
Breakfast - 2 Churros
Morning snack - a Churro
Lunch - Corn Dog and a Churro
Afternoon snack - Turkey Leg
Dinner - Redd Rocket's - Pasta, Slice of Pizza and a salad (to make it healthy :rolleyes: )
Evening snack - Cap off the day with ...........a Churro!!!

Since no nutritional information exists, pretend that the calories don't exist. ;)

millionairegirl
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I just googled this for fun and a typical churro from costco has 240 calories--no idea if one from DL is the same for what it's worth...

Yeah, I've seen that too. I think those are smaller than the ones at DL, though. But I'm not sure.

CptJackSparrow
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
We treat DL like eating on a cruise--there is no way to track calories when living out of a hotel at DL for a week just like there is no way to stop eating when you have all the food you want put in front of you. I certainly cannot pass up the filet on a cruise ship like I won't pass up popcorn, candy, etc. in DL.

I am afraid information would hamper the experience--If I knew what was in certain things I may not eat them, even though they are my favorites. I just take an extra mile on the treadmill and hope for the best...

pisces
05-19-2005, 12:30 PM
When I go on vacation.........this is not what I want to be concerned about.

jennia
05-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I would think that Disneyland would ahve info available for those with allergies or Diabetes or heart disease as well as other medical issues. I think some one posted in the Dole Whip thread recently that City Hall had the info.

Hmm, on my next visit (Sunday) I'll do my best to remember to ask while I am in City Hall getting a birthday sticker for DS.

Is there anything specific that you want info on or just ALL :D the food at Disneyland and DCA? Just in case they have different menus or sheets it would help me.

Rhiannon8404
05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Is there anything specific that you want info on or just ALL :D the food at Disneyland and DCA? Just in case they have different menus or sheets it would help me.
I would be grateful for whatever info you could gather up on any of the food. I've been doing well losing weight this time around and I really don't want to gain it all back because of one week of fun. I keep reminding myself that the food is not the most important thing at DL...it's the magic.

When I go on vacation.........this is not what I want to be concerned about. It's not something I really want to be concerned about, but for me, it's something I really need to keep on top of. I fall off the weightloss wagon so easily and it's so hard for me to get back on that I really must do everything I can, while still making some allowances for fun foods.

Drince88
05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
First off - congrads on your success so far! (Although success is not measured in pounds or inches alone!)

For me in a situation like you'll be in, it's all about the choices and moderation. I am not willing to deprive myself. I'm in this for the rest of my life, and I will NOT give up eating the things I really want. For you that means a corn dog, for me that means a Mickey Ice Cream bar. However, since I can take or leave corn dogs, I would not get it just 'cause I'm there.

I've found at most places eating out, a big key is ASKING FOR WHAT YOU WANT. If you want dressing on the side, ask. If you want mustard and not mayo on the sandwich, ask. ASK if you can substitute carrots or ?? for the fries in the "meal" (they do this at WDW - most places it's carrots, some places it's a nice salad of some sort) - a lot of times it may not be on the menu, but it's available - or at least they should be able to give you the sandwich without the fries.

As long as you THINK about what you're doing, you should be ok. And even if you gain a couple pounds. THAT'S OK! That doesn't mean you should give up, it just means you aren't perfect.

Again, Congrads, and Good Luck!

(Ok, I'll put the pom poms away now!)

SCUBAbe
05-19-2005, 05:19 PM
you could wear a pedometer and track how many points you will earn by walking...also you could save the 35 extra points for your trip. I always loose weight when I'm at DL or any vacation. There's so much I want to do i hate taking time out to eat...LOL

05-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Can you split portions with a friend? We found that everything could easily be shared.

mamamage
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I would love to find out ingredient information as well since my 7 year old is allergic to artificial flavorings & colorings. We are setting him up with a fanny pack full of snacks but it would be nice to give him a special treat at the park (he heard that there might be a candymaker there who only uses REAL chocolate-with real vanilla not the artificial vanillan)

Shortiemetoo
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I try to use the three bite rule. If I really want something I take three bites and usually I am satisfied. It really helps if someone you are with wants the same thing and will eat the rest ;) . I also feel that maintaining your weight on a vacation is a great victory for a week, rather than worrying about losing!!
There are a lot of WW friendly foods out there. Whitewater snacks has a broiled chicken sandwhich. Just take off the avacado and leave the green chili in place. It's great!
Also you can order items ala carte instead of a whole meal....i.e. just the sandwhich without fries or chicken without pasta etc... that saves a lot of points. They also have some great salads throughout the park!!!
Have a great time!!! You'll do great I'm sure!!!! :D

TrekkieDad
05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Last November I changed my diet to lower my LDL, and I followed through pretty well on our two trips to Disneyland. I have to cut out high-fat foods and be selective about the fats I eat: Olive oil instead of mayo on sandwiches, grilled chicken and fish and vegetarian entrees instead of burgers and dogs. Instead of the Monte Cristo, I now eat the Portobello mushroom at the Blue Bayou. And salmon is my friend.

First, there is an apple symbol on the resort maps that show eateries with "healthy" choices. There are quite a few. I challenged myself to find and order the healthiest (but still tasty) items on the menu. It almost became a game with me.

And it worked. In 5 months I lowered my LDL by 37 points to an acceptable level--and I dropped about 10 pounds without actually counting points or calories. (But bear in mind I do a LOT of bike riding, which helps a lot.)

If you must have that corn dog or churro, have only one on the trip and savor it. (But savor the "good stuff" too.)

Since our next trips overlap, we'll have to do lunch.

jennia
05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
you could wear a pedometer and track how many points you will earn by walking

I just bought a cheap pedometer at WalMart to use the next time I'm at DLR. I'm a diabetic. When I take a 20 minute walk on my treadmill I know exactly how much to lower my meds but Disneyland is more of a gamble!! :eek: I'm hoping to see if I can figure out an average steps per visit and work my meds that way.

I think the pedometer is a great idea for WW as well.

Drince88
05-20-2005, 03:20 AM
I just bought a cheap pedometer at WalMart to use the next time I'm at DLR. I'm a diabetic. When I take a 20 minute walk on my treadmill I know exactly how much to lower my meds but Disneyland is more of a gamble!! :eek: I'm hoping to see if I can figure out an average steps per visit and work my meds that way.

I think the pedometer is a great idea for WW as well.
Make sure you practice with the pedometer to figure out how to wear it to get the most accurate results. Also, especially standing in line, you'll be triggering steps without actually taking full stride steps, so don't go strictly by the steps when figuring your meds (and good luck with that - that has to be fairly complex to figure out with the DL exercise in there!)

pisces
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Well thank-goodness you are going to Disney. Because if you were going to Knotts, you would surely fall off the wagon.

I do the three-bite rule, too. But, all bets are off with Fried Chicken. There is no way I could ever do three-bites when fried chicken is in my presence. Especially, Mrs. Knotts fried chicken, and their biscuits, and their chicken & dumplings, plus the array of pastries at the Farm Bakery.

Much easier to stick to your diet at Disney.

Rhiannon8404
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great. I appreciate the support. I don't intend to deprive myself, but I don't intend to gain 8lbs like I did last November on my trip to DL. If I come out even, it will be a victory. That's my goal.

Since our next trips overlap, we'll have to do lunch.

Definitely!

Mark Goldhaber
05-20-2005, 09:04 PM
The last time we were at DL, back in 2001, we still were at the guessing phase about our son's food allergy (because it took a chance correlation for us to discover it was to carrageenan, which nobody had ever heard of an allergy to, not even his allergist). At the time, the allergist's best guess was dairy, so we had to ask for ingredients at several locations. Most locations that prepared meals on site had binders with ingredients (and sometimes other nutritional info). In some cases, locations with pre-prepared foods had wrappers or other labels for us to see. Only at some carts did we have any problem finding out nutritional info. Just ask, and they will probably be able to provide the info for you.

Shortiemetoo
05-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Well thank-goodness you are going to Disney. Because if you were going to Knotts, you would surely fall off the wagon.

I do the three-bite rule, too. But, all bets are off with Fried Chicken. There is no way I could ever do three-bites when fried chicken is in my presence. Especially, Mrs. Knotts fried chicken, and their biscuits, and their chicken & dumplings, plus the array of pastries at the Farm Bakery.

Much easier to stick to your diet at Disney.

Man alive, it has been years since I was at Knotts and I can still taste how good that chicken was!!! I agree that there are some foods I can NEVER practice the three bite rule with!!! lol

CrazyTrain
05-21-2005, 09:23 AM
One tip I have is be sure that you have something with you to eat if you're staying after the fireworks. The carts all close/start to close and you might end up like I did last night - with nothing to buy but a bag of Cheetos! I was able to share it, but it's amazing how quickly the food places close up or run out of food at the end of the day.

Except Gibson Girl. I reccomend crossing on the other side of Main St.! Gibson Girl does stay open during the last extra hour and boy are the smells tempting. ;)

I did have a salad at Plaza Inn that was very good - fresh, crisp, not an overabundance of the gross part of the lettuce. And the Ranch dressing was SO thick that the fork trick worked the best it ever has!

And I agree with the splitting of entrees - they usually give you so much food to begin with that it'll help the temptation of eating it all (portion control!) but you'll still get enough to get a good taste of it. And it'll save some money!

Good luck... I know how hard it is!! :D

goooofygal
05-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Churros are basically 16 points. The churros are 8oz. I had fiber/calorie etc. info the avg 2oz churro from 2 different food guides. I got 24 points for the Monte Cristo Sandwich. I took the recipe and used the weight watchers website to calculate out the points.
Not exact science, but it worked for me. I've eaten both on the plan and lost weight for the week.