PDA

View Full Version : Passing the time while alone?

Pages : [1] 2

arpinl
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I'll be making a solo trip to DLR next week, and I know I'll have to do a fair amount of waiting (e.g. showing up early for park entry, PS, Fantasmic!, etc). With no one to talk to, what are some ways people like to pass the time? I *would* bring a book, but as a bibliophile, I would be mortified if it got crunched, crumpled, or wet in the parks. :eek: And I am one of the only 21-year-olds who doesn't own an iPod, so that's out. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions would be helpful!

bradk
05-19-2005, 08:44 AM
i'm sure it probably won't apply to you either, but i'm planning on bringing my gameboy sp. not sure i'd even want to listen to music while being on line anyway, it's better to have an open ear for that sort of thing.

mkcbunny
05-19-2005, 08:51 AM
You can always talk to people in line. I have found that when I've done single rider line or ridden something alone, I am much more apt to meet and chat with new people than when I am with a friend and concentrating on them.

Agreed with bradk that you want to hear your environment at DL.

justlittleoldme
05-19-2005, 08:59 AM
What about games on a cellphone? Or buy a cheap book that you wouldn't mind having get wet or lost? Or a book that fits in a plastic zippy bag? I usually take a book to read when my kids are napping. Or what about a little handheld game, if you are leaving your cell? Or taking some interesting pictures with your camera?

Hakuna Makarla
05-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I'll be making a solo trip to DLR next week, and I know I'll have to do a fair amount of waiting (e.g. showing up early for park entry, PS, Fantasmic!, etc). With no one to talk to, what are some ways people like to pass the time? I *would* bring a book, but as a bibliophile, I would be mortified if it got crunched, crumpled, or wet in the parks. :eek: And I am one of the only 21-year-olds who doesn't own an iPod, so that's out. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions would be helpful!

being alone, am I the only one who thinks this is so awsome?? I wish I had acually one full day of being alone, sleeping in and just going to the bathroom with out some one opening the door! Oh yeah, one day in the park alone with just me and my thoughts Lord what a fantasy!!!!!!!!!!

Drince88
05-19-2005, 09:07 AM
being alone, am I the only one who thinks this is so awsome?? I wish I had acually one full day of being alone, sleeping in and just going to the bathroom with out some one opening the door! Oh yeah, one day in the park alone with just me and my thoughts Lord what a fantasy!!!!!!!!!!
I thought you just HAD a solo trip, Karla?

But I've done both DL and WDW by myself - didn't bring a book or game boy or music or play cell phone games - there's plenty to look at and lots of nice peiople around to chat with. Met some of the coolest people from the UK in the hour-long line for Stitch (WDW) when it was in testing; met a nice guy at the beer tasting at the Food & Wine Fest (WDW), and ended up spending most of the afternoon together; chatted with a CM at Muppets (DCA) one day, and the next day he was working Millionaire and was the one handling my hot seat paperwork. Get to chat with others about where they're from, what you know about their part of the world, talk about your own (that one it helps to be from New Orleans!), if they ask about Fast Pass, explain it (but don't be a know-it-all-nerd!)

Besides, you have to carry a book or whatever around, and I like to go to the parks as empty handed/bagged as possible, especially when by myself.

CrazyTrain
05-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I bring a book. Just a little paperback that doesn't get mangled (and never wet!!!).

But talking to the people around you is a great thing too! :)

And def. no headphones! Part of the greatness of DL is the ambience - which includes all the sounds :)

Tutter
05-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I tend to spend some time there alone. I will be alone this evening. I just take my time much more - stop and sit on a bench for 10 minutes, saunter in shops, sit and watch the daytime shows, street theatre etc. I find holding my camera makes me feel less awkward about being alone.

djdrama
05-19-2005, 09:26 AM
spending time alone is really relaxing.... i sometimes just sit down and watch people walk by....post something to meet with other people on the forum....im sure other people esp myself would go just to hang out with new people

hlbtimes2
05-19-2005, 09:32 AM

No, you arent the only one! I would love a day to myself. And a day alone in Disneyland, well, thats just about the best fantasy I can think of!

Shortiemetoo
05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
One nice thing about being alone is that you get to do what you want to do, when you want to do it!!! When I have been alone (when my kiddlins were teenagers and went their own way) I found a whole new Disneyland. I really enjoyed eating alone at blue bayou once (a birthday splurge) and I didn't even have to wait for the table...they had a small one and only large groups waiting! Have a great time. If you have a cell phone bring it and if you feel yourself getting lonely call a friend or family member!!! :D

05-19-2005, 09:40 AM
While my kids were riding Indy yet again, I initiated lots of conversations. I always picked someone who had a lot of Disneyland pins - automatic conversation opener!

Mommy2NicknMax
05-19-2005, 09:46 AM
I've gone alone and I usually just talk to the people around me. I've met so many wonderful people at DL in the past two years.

Have a wonderful time!

Niwel
05-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the solo club
Learn all my tips and tricks from this article: Solo at DL (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp040713sl.htm).

SummerinFL
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM

WOW! I didn't even consider something like that LOL Is that even doable after you have children? If so, kiss that babysitter!:P

When we wait in line I usually take photographs of everything. I have 350 photos that I can take on my memory card for my camera though so I can take a few of something and save my favorite. :P

Drince88
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh, and the comments about cameras reminded me of this: You can offer to take pictures of other people so they can all get in the picture. I try to do this often, 'cause I HATE seeing people's photos with shots of everyone else in the family, but none of the photographer! (And then you can hand them your camera and have them take a picture of you!)

lisap
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I always tuck a small book into my backpack when I have a chance to be alone at DL for any amount of time--they've always come through just fine. :) Sometimes I bring a notepad to jot down trip notes, lists for future events, etc. We just got a little game at Target called 20Q (it's a 20 questions game you play against the computer) which is mesmerizing and can be a good conversation starter. Or just people watch--the most fun pastime of all.

Wendi
05-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Just peoplewatch... that should occupy you plenty!

arpinl
05-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Maybe I will try to find a book to bring... Of course, I just finished four years of college, so I'm not sure I even remember how to read for pleasure. :rolleyes:

Thanks again, though!

mamamage
05-19-2005, 08:08 PM
may I suggest "Disneyland Detective"?
It would be fun to look up miscellaneous finds & facts while actually in the park and based on the amazon.com reader reviwes about the grammar & spelling it wouldn't be such a shame to damage on a ride! :p

coronado_g
05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
My last two visits to Disneyland were solo and I went without a cell phone, Gameboy, iPod, book, extra. I used the time spent standing in line to gaze at all the architectural and landscaping details. Disneyland is rich with details! There is sooo much more beyond the big picture, you know. Without a companion to distract you with conversation, you'll be able to take in so much more visually...it would be a shame to waste the time with a book. After all, you can always read at home.

PirateSmile
05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
When I'm impatient and alone I pick up my sixth grade habit of drawing on my hand. You probably wouldn't enjoy that, though. lol.

sdfilmcritic
05-20-2005, 02:37 AM
First off I would like to say I'm 24 and I don't own an MP3 player. But I am a veteran at solo trips to DLR. I go with the flow of whatever I want to do at the moment while there. Since I don't have to confer with other members of a group about what to do next I can take as many or as little amount of breaks as possible. If I feel like sitting on a bench and people watch I will do so. If I want to hit up several consecutive trips on an attraction I can do that do. Be in the moment while you are at the parks (I'm assuming you will be taking full advantage of a park hopper ticket or an AP). Never underestimate the power of sitting on a bench and soaking in the surroundings. And don't forget about all the little things offered at the park. Do a Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt. Go to the Princess Story Book reading in the Princess Shoppe in Fantasyland. Sit at a patio table at the Village Haus restaurant. Do the things you always have wished you could do but never got around to doing them.

Crazy4DL
05-20-2005, 06:23 AM
...it would be a shame to waste the time with a book. After all, you can always read at home.

good point! I can not image trying to read a book at Disneyland with all it has to offer. :)

pisces
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
You are never alone at Disneyland.

I met so many people, on my solo trip.

There are so many people just waiting to chat. I never thought of myself as a social butterfly before visiting Disney. The cast members came up to me to chat. I talked to Parents with their children about my memories as a child. I talked to their kids. People at other tables would inquire about my entree choices, and I ---theirs.

There are so many different opportunities to have conversation and social interactions....especially when you are alone......that you would not have if you go in a group.

But, if you are seen reading a book......nobody will approach you. They'll think you want to be left alone. Sit at a table alone, without any reading material. Make sparing eye contact, smile, and be open to converse with.

That's how it's done.