PDA

View Full Version : Best *PRIME RIB* in Yesterland / Disneyland / DCA

80S ERA
01-24-2002, 10:14 AM
Sorry folks - its getting close to my lunchtime here at work! :cool:

As a prime rib lover, I have eaten prime rib at many locations in the resort over the last 5 years.

Here are my comments on the places I've been to:

Blue Bayou - Best I've had in the resort. However, it seems they changed the sauce they were using. They don't have straight horseraddish.
Grandville's Steak House - Poor / Rip-off. You would expect high-end beef at a place that charges those prices. They even tried using the premiere steakhouse custom of giving you a butter knife to cut your steak -- they should have provided a hacksaw. (Based on 1 visit - won't be back)
Strombolli's (RIP) - Poor. Our server told us that it comes from Grandville's next door. No wonder.... tough and chewy. Dry.
Goofy's Kitchen (old location next to Neon Cactus) - excellent prime rib considering it was a buffet.
Big Thunder BBQ (RIP) Good / Bad - usually served during holidays only. Had 1 tasty portion on 1 visit. Another visit it tasted like eating a ball of salt.
Plaza Inn - Fair. Was served during holidays before refurbishment. All cuts were well -- bad for me -- I prefer Med/Med Rare.

OK - that's enough for now.....getting hungry!

What experiences have you other Prime Rib lovers had in yesterland or Disneyland?

Dlandmom
01-24-2002, 10:52 AM
I had no idea there were so many options! I love prime rib! I'm definitely going to have to try out some of these (if they're still available!).

hbquikcomjamesl
01-24-2002, 01:23 PM
I don't believe the Plaza Inn still offers prime rib, but when they did, I found it decent enough (my preference, by the way, is TRUE MEDIUM, as in somewhere between just before the last bit of pink goes away, and just after, and ideally served from a prime rib cart).

I've always liked the Blue Bayou's prime rib, though this past New Year's Eve it was a bit dry and chewy (probably because my dinner was served just before midnight). I do note that when I returned from stepping outside for the fireworks, the chef had not merely kept my dinner warm, but had carved me a fresh slice. Kudos for that. Does anybody know what they put in the potatoes, by the way? The stuff that makes them seem mildly radioactive? Whatever it is, I like it, so long as my throat's up to it.

Now if there were someplace in DLR or WDW that went whole-hog (or should it be "whole-steer"?) and served prime rib from a prime rib cart (like the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco, or the Lawry's Prime Rib chain), and served it with a Yorkshire pudding that's as good as what the House makes (evidently difficult, because not even Gulliver's or Lawry's is as consistently good), and offered the sort of creamed corn you can get at either Lawry's or Gulliver's, and offered the House's "second slice" with all cuts but the "petitie" . . . .

Have I got anybody drooling on their computer keyboards yet?

mad4mky
01-24-2002, 05:16 PM
[i]Now if there were someplace in DLR or WDW that went whole-hog (or should it be "whole-steer"?) and served prime rib from a prime rib cart (like the House of Prime Rib in San Francisco, or the Lawry's Prime Rib chain), and served it with a Yorkshire pudding that's as good as what the House makes (evidently difficult, because not even Gulliver's or Lawry's is as consistently good), and offered the sort of creamed corn you can get at either Lawry's or Gulliver's, and offered the House's "second slice" with all cuts but the "petitie" . . . .

Have I got anybody drooling on their computer keyboards yet? [/B]

We eat at House of Prime Rib once in a while. Course we live fairly close to S.F.. But, no one beats Gulliver's Creamed corn. And I got the recipe from them! They gave it to me years ago. I only make it on holidays and special dinners. Everyone loves it. And I agree, House of Prime Rib makes great Yorkshire pudding.
But...I'd still rather eat at Ruth Criss's than House of Prime Rib.

coronamouseman
01-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Is the food at the Grand Californian any good?

Have not heard it mentioned here or anywhere .........

disneynut
01-25-2002, 11:24 PM
The prime rib from Blue Bayou is good but the potatoes are just to die for. I would love the recipe--anybody think they would give it out? I've seen other recipes from the Bayou in the Disney magazine but never the potatoes.
On a different note I sure miss the yummy food/atmosphere of Big Thunder BBQ.