PDA

View Full Version : Status of Engine No. 5, the "Ward Kimball"

PragmaticIdealist
05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Does anyone happen to know the status of Engine No. 5, the "Ward Kimball", at the Disneyland Railroad? I heard that the new locomotive will be completed in time for the July 17 commemoration.

I also am curious to know the status of the "Lilly Belle" Presidential Car. Is it still in the roundhouse, and are there any plans to refurbish it and put it back on the main line soon?

disneyfn
05-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Try visiting www.burnsland.com for info on the Kimball and Lilly Belle.

stan4d_steph
05-17-2005, 08:27 AM
There was some info. in the MousePlanet update this week. Of course, that could be why you're asking the questions. :)

PragmaticIdealist
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Try visiting www.burnsland.com for info on the Kimball and Lilly Belle.

Many thanks, disneyfn.

http://www.burnsland.com/cgi-bin/drrdb2/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=2

smd4
05-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Once again, the little engine was steamed up this past Saturday, and run on the roundhouse lead tracks with a train in tow (any pictures, anyone?). Tolerances on the valve stem packing (part of the mechanism that controls steam to the cylinders) were a bit tight when the engine was first moved last week, but this has been rectified. The engine is almost finished. Electrical conduit is being routed as I write this. The engine is reported to operate very well.

The Acceptance and Test Plan (what us mere mortals would call track testing) is scheduled to take place at an ungodly hour sometime this week.

smd4
05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Have not heard anything about an official debut; the engine is almost ready, and I don't know why they'd wait until July 17 to debut the engine. To my thinking, June 18th would seem just as appropriate (the 50th anniversary of the first steaming of a Disneyland engine), and it would allow the engine to get on the line sooner. But that's just my guess.

When I hear something more concrete, I'll try to post it.

stan4d_steph
05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
So do you plan to get up at some ungodly hour to go sneak a peek?

smd4
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I would in a heartbeat! But as it stands, security for the testing will be quite tight. Of course, whatever I hear that's appropriate to post, I will.

PragmaticIdealist
05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Apparently, the work on Engine No. 5 is almost completed. But, the "Lilly Belle" is still rotting away in the roundhouse, although word has it that Disneyland President, Matt Ouimet, specifically requested to see the observation car when he last toured the facility.

Besides the historical significance of the "Lilly Belle" as something that has carried American Presidents and foreign dignitaries, including several members of royalty, as well as luminaries from countless fields, the "Lilly Belle" is a part of the experience every Guest has with the Disneyland Railroad, even if he or she is not seated in the car, itself. John Hench always liked to refer to Disneyland as a system; individual shops, restaurants, etc. should not be considered independently because they all have an impact on the Disneyland experience, so, the main gate revenues should help to pay for everything in Disneyland just as Guests should not be gouged with prices once they enter.

The "Lilly Belle" should be restored for this reason, but other revenue sources are a factor, as well.

The "Lilly Belle" needs to be a part of Guest Relations' marketing efforts for its Guided Tours. I know I would pay the $55 for the new tours if they included use of the "Lilly Belle". I also am personally-aware that several members of Club 33 are quite disappointed that they have been denied access to this privilege of their membership for so long. Considering that Disney needs to foster goodwill with so many members of Club 33 with which The Studios, the parent company, and other divisions do business, I would think the "Lilly Belle" would be a priority for Disneyland management.

It's also important to realize that the institutional patrons, which finance certain Attractions and other features through Disneyland's Participant program use the "Lilly Belle" for their executives and business associates, and the car has not been available to them, either, for almost a decade.

I wonder if Disneyland has considered expanding the membership of Club 33 while also expanding its privileges to include admission to Private Lounges and other amenities at other Disney theme parks around the world. Such an idea would help to increase revenues at Club 33 that might partly be used to help in the restoration of the "Lilly Belle".

smd4
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
To answer your second question about the Lilly Belle, I can report that the car is in an extrememly sad state; much of one side boarded up with plywood, while on the other side, the tongue-and-groove siding has been torn away (and I mean that literally) to reveal the internal framing. The interior is intact. The car itself is in the back of the roundhouse, seemingly forgotten.

Funds this year obviously went to the Ward Kimball restoration, as well as major track maintanence. Perhaps some funds from next year's budget will find their way to the car--the last vestige of Walt Disney's original passenger train to remain at his Magic Kingdom.

Osky
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Well said, PragmaticIdealist. I do think this should be a top priority. I do not agree that they should increase the membership of Club 33, even though it would allow me to be a member faster :D. Could you imagine the fallout with current members? After all, look at what happened when they added more to the July 17th packages after they committed to a number. I would love to see them sell a limited edition model of the Lilly Belle. Not a cheap one either. Maybe a very nice one that costs around $50-$100 for them to make, but they sell for $1050 or $1100. Maybe even more so the profit per piece is pretty big. In addition, you would also get your name on a small plaque inside the car, and one ticket to ride.

PragmaticIdealist
05-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Well said, PragmaticIdealist. I do think this should be a top priority. I do not agree that they should increase the membership of Club 33, even though it would allow me to be a member faster :D. Could you imagine the fallout with current members? After all, look at what happened when they added more to the July 17th packages after they committed to a number. I would love to see them sell a limited edition model of the Lilly Belle. Not a cheap one either. Maybe a very nice one that costs around $50-$100 for them to make, but they sell for $1050 or $1100. Maybe even more so the profit per piece is pretty big. In addition, you would also get your name on a small plaque inside the car, and one ticket to ride.

Thank you, Grundler.

I would never have suggested Disneyland expand the membership of Club 33 without adding that Disney simultaneously create other versions of Club 33 in Florida; France; China; and, perhaps, Japan. Most of Club 33's members have California as their primary residence, and I think Disney may be missing an opportunity to also bring more people from the East Coast, Europe, and Asia into the fold.

I think the idea of creating more merchandise related to the D.R.R. and, specifically, to the "Lilly Belle" is also an excellent idea. It just takes a little imagination.

smd4
05-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I love the idea of a Lilly Belle model. In O scale, please!

Some DRR Models (http://www.burnsland.com/cgi-bin/drrdb2/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=7)

Osky
05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
I love the idea of a Lilly Belle model. In O scale, please!http://www.burnsland.com/misc/steved/August%2011%202004%20030.jpg

That would be a perfect size. And of lasting construction like the pre-war models. Not the cheap plastic of today.

smd4
05-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Sure wish I could post pictures!

VickiC
05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
No, no, no it must be in S or HO. :-)