PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's Grand Opening May 5th

Deanclan
05-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Am I like the only person in the world that dragged their kids and husband down to Disney for the "Big" day and was horrible disappointed in it? We were there for gate opening, never could get anywhere close enough to know what was happening up on the stag. I got grabbed and thrown out of the way while the same guy (not young at all) was stepping on kids and shoving them out of the way, hit some other lady in the head (I had bruises on my arm from him..).. I had such "High" expectations and found once they did the opening number it was "done" for the day. Unless some how we missed other events. I heard there were special commemerative watch's made. 495.00 for a lovely gold watch with diamonds 100 of them made. Bet they were lovely, by the time we got there they were gone (not that I could afford one either mind you but I like to day dream..) same with the blue 65.00 commemerative watch. Though some time in June I was told they would be available again. Will have to see if they are and if I can get one mailed to me :) I don't know. I just don't know if I had to high of unknown expectations or what, but by the end of the day all I felt like my whiney 5 year old kept up to late.. I guess it couldn't have been too bad, when you ask the kids, they don't remember being mowed over or the massive crush. They remember Muppet's 3D movie (totally awesome mind you..), Shooting Aliens and such in Buzz Lightyear, being amazed that Mom rode Star Wars when it first opened, that Grandma could POSSIBLY love it's a small world (maybe that's cus their boys?? LOL) and all those happy things which makes me happy in the long run. I just couldn't believe there was no coverage of the opening that we saw on T.V. and a short small front page blurb in the hotel's newpaper. I still haven't a clue what the stag opening program was, though from the music I heard being sang, I don't think I missed too much. I would have loved to see Julie Andrews though.. Husband just tells me I was over expectant... Anyone else end up feeling this way?? I sure wish I had thought to look for boards like this in January when I started planning this (before I even found out our day's conincided unexpectly with this blessed event..) trip. I might have saved ourselves a few minutes of grief.
Biggest bonus? Being able to bring in our own water.. I really had a hard time paying 2.75 for a bottle of water every hour (my kids refused to drink the water from the fountian's. Said it was gaggy. I didn't like it much myself but may have choked it down if necessary..)
Is it normal to come out of Disney as an adult feeling let down? Is it because I am comparing it to the "perfect" childhood memories? Thank Goodness Disney didn't eradicat my memories of it like Knotts Berry farm did, though I was sad to lose the country bears..

TP2000
05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
I think your expectations may have been too high.

May 5th was not the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. Disneyland's 50th Anniversary is July 17th, and there are some anniversary events planned for that weekend, and July 17th specifically.

May 5th was just the first official day of an 18th month long 50th Anniversary celebration Disneyland is calling "The Happiest Homecoming On Earth". It runs from May, 2005 through October, 2006 (18 months). The new 50th offerings are comprised entirely of entertainment, with the exception of Buzz Lightyear that opened in March and Space Mountain that reopens in July. There's two new parades and a new fireworks show, a modest yet informative history exhibit on Main Street, plus some snazzy looking decorations around the Park. Everything they did on May 5th will be offered for the next 18 months.

Disneyland lived up to their end of the bargain, and did exactly what they said they were going to do on May 5th; and that was to debut the new entertainment offerings and make a speech and sing a song to kick it all off. It sounds like the other customers there for that day ruined it for you, not Disneyland management or the statements made by the Disney marketing department regarding the planned events of May 5th.