PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Construction Rumors- TOT,BUGTOWN, 50th aniversary, Tomorrow/Frontland REDO

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ralph Wiggum
01-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Check out westcoaster for the rumors http://www.westcoaster.net/update.php?id=0123021

Remember they are rumors so take them with a grain of salt. Still kinda exciting though.

I would hate to see the stuff in Pirates go but the new stuff sounds great :)

DisneylandKid
01-24-2002, 05:38 AM
Hm.... I'm really disappointed Pooh will have a track.:crying: E-mails?

merlinjones
01-24-2002, 05:48 AM
1) They can afford to do Pooh right. At least make it bounce.

2) Leave Pirates the **** alone! Especially key scenes like the ship & fort. If its not broke, don‘t fix it (especially those with bad taste and small budgets). Please realize, Imagineers, that you weren't born when the cool stuff was done at unlimited budgets and YOU CAN'T be a part of it. Quit trying to pee on the classics to mark your turf or crawl back into the geeky womb of desire - - its like coloring Snow White with a grease pencil. It#s like the guy who shot John Lennon because he admired him so much - - don't murder your obsession with "kindness". Do something new of your own, even if it means quitting! (Don't screw it up like the ugly Phantom Manor and Small World in Paris) Leave it alone!!!

BELLEH5
01-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Why are they gonna re-do Pirates? I love the battle scene!!! Leave it alone. I already had to look away when they made Lady and the Tramp 2, Peter Pan 2, Cinderella 2, and all the other dumb sequals!! But if they mess with the Pirates it's over then!!
I think that some of the stuff needs some work, like paint. Tommorowland and Frontierland as well as the other lands all need a liitle make-over for the 50th but leave the Attractions the way they are. That's why people from all over visit DLR because they love to things over and over again. It's part of the Disney magic! That is if there is still magic ?

Gemini Cricket
01-24-2002, 10:40 AM
I don't know enough about westcoaster.net to comment accurately on this article. Are their sources reliable? If it is just rumors and not factual, why would they print it? DL does need a major upkeep refurbishment, not a retool of their older successful attractions. ;)

blusilva
01-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Personally, I can't *wait* to see all the new and exciting ways they are going to utilize the brown paint and glow in the dark orange duct tape left over from the Tomorrowland 98 redo.

JPirate23
01-24-2002, 03:10 PM
pirates is starting to get old so all the attractions need to change!!!! i would be really excited if it happens. The 50th should be special and i hope they change the pirates. we want to see new stuff!!!! i'm crossing my fingers it would happen:D.

Ace
01-24-2002, 03:22 PM
gah!!! I'm torn like a piece of steak between two fat dogs! (was that hillybillyish enough for you?) on one hand... I want the rides to stay EXACTLY like they are. Pirates could only use some changing of the fire effects....that's it. I don't really have a problem witht he other changes.... Except the Mansion. Any changes to that ride mean instant bad karma for eeryone involved.
On the other hand.... I think they should leave those rides comletely alone and spend the money on new rides... not old ones.

also... how could the pooh ride not have a track?? how is it done??

also, I saw a picture of Splash in florida, and it had 4 rows of 2 side by side...is that right???

Gracy_hm
01-24-2002, 03:34 PM
1)I know the Haunted mansion will probably get a new scene added into it that was in Marc Davis concepts. I spoke to an Imagineer who was assigned to the project and they have been planing it for at least five years.
2)A scull "fire ball effect"? that would make no since in POTC. Lets not Jouney Thru Your Imgination this classic!!!
3)I belive Jim is a VERY reliable source most of the time "no one can be right 100% of the time"

space101
01-24-2002, 03:38 PM
Westcoaster is reliable as the National Enquirer......

Gracy_hm
01-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Say it ain't so JOE!SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!

stan4d_steph
01-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
...also, I saw a picture of Splash in florida, and it had 4 rows of 2 side by side...is that right???

Completely OT, but yes, the ride vehicles at WDW Splash are 4 rows of 2 seats side by side.

captain rex
01-24-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm torn as well. It would be nice to see new stuff, but it would be nice to see NEW new stuff. Maybe another new Tomorrowland (done right this time), or at least a new show or parade or something. Something done halfway would be a disgrace for Disneyland's 50th. I don't think totally changing a classic ride really counts. Maybe a total rehab with a new feature or two ADDED somehow would be OK, but don't change the parts of the ride that people have come to know and enjoy.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-24-2002, 03:57 PM
I agree with Squinky (for once!) :p

This is a tough call. I LOVE the room with the battle scene, but I can't help but wonder how much new technology could make the scene even better. I wouldn't mind an even more realistic Pirates. Hell, even the skull sounds wicked.

As for reliability, NO report is reliable because the heads at Disney change their minds every two seconds.

As for leaving the rides alone, I know that Walt would never have left a ride alone for as long as these have sat there.

Repeat after me - new technology can be a good thing, so long as they don't cut corners.

I'm still divided on the issue though, since they always DO cut corners these days....this could end up bad.

Gracy_hm
01-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Add the sword fight from Paris version of POTC.

Ace
01-24-2002, 04:02 PM
yes, I know it's off topic. how's this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taco!

now that was off topic!!!

PEOPLEMOVER!!!!!!!! BRING IT BACK FOR THE 50th!!!!!!

DisneyFreak2000
01-24-2002, 04:42 PM
I'm all for all of those plans. It seems as if Disney is finally getting out of its stagnant stage and going for the gusto. Tower of Terror will be awesome. Who cares if it doesn't have the fifth dimension, etc. it will be great and most people will agree with me. Bugs Land will most likely be a yawn for most people, but I'm expecting a greatly themed place. With the mistakes they've made they ARE learning and won't doubt if they do it right this time. Pooh will be great no matter what. Sure trackless is more exciting, but the regular ride will still be good (as long as they don't change the whole theme to the damn land. Keep it Critter Country!!!).

Now for the re-dos. I support them all completely. They will be great. The pirates will be a great effect and, I have to admit, will give another reason to love the ride. Haunted Mansion's added scene will be great, Space Mountains new track will be great, Jungle Cruise will be great, Small World with new facade will be great. Get the point? At least Disney is coming out of the slump and upgrading things. They've even stated about Frontierland and Tommorowland!!! I'll give the park 5 years until the Disneyland Resort is back on track. (All we need now are new, improved shows.)

Ace
01-24-2002, 05:07 PM
ehh...... Disneyfreak is right.

SOMEONE explain how Pooh could be trackless!!

Ghoulish Delight
01-24-2002, 05:28 PM
I really hope they don't go through with the Pirates updates.

The thing that historically has set Disney apart from other theme parks is the combination of innovations in technology along with innovations in theming/presentation. Pirates and Mansion are the prime examples of this. When new technology came along, Disney developed a new type of ride with a new theme (okay, pirates and ghosts aren't 'new' themes, but what these two rides are a COMPLETE themes, rides that in some way tell a full story) to present it. That is what makes those rides special. They embody the genius of the creators.

Plugging in new techonlogy in Pirates would be a gross misuse of technology. Tearing Pirates down would be less insulting to the memory of Walt Disney than this. It would stand as a grim reminder that the true creativity of the Disney Corporation is dead. If they have something new to showcase, find a new way to showcase it. Do NOT reuse a brilliant original creation simply because you are too pathetic, lazy, and cheap to come up with your own. I don't even care if it's executed well, I would find it hard to bring myself to ride it in that form.

Ghoulish Delight
01-24-2002, 05:32 PM
And to answer Squinky's question, a trackless Pooh ride would be modled after a ride in Tokyo (I don't know which ride). The cars are guided by a sophisticated GPS system. They would be able to communicate and know exactly where they are, as well as all the other cars in the ride. Therefore, no track needed, and they would be able to create the "bouncing" effect (have the cars 'randomly' careen around an empty room, or a room with other cars in it. The GPS system would be able to coordinate it such that no collisions occur).

Morrigoon
01-24-2002, 06:40 PM
And I'm sure it'll run as well as the Rocket Rods....

LIMANDL4EVA
01-24-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
ehh...... Disneyfreak is right.

SOMEONE explain how Pooh could be trackless!!
i think the tokyo version of the ride uses a GPS system where a computer tells the vehicle exactly where to go during the ride, apparently it is more reliable and much safer (example:roger rabbit incuident) but VERY expensive, almost as much as indy was (100 mil)

coronamouseman
01-24-2002, 07:05 PM
A few observations regarding REDO's:

(1) New technologies develop which can make some effects better - why not improve some of the original stuff but with the idea of maintaining the original context? On Pirates, for instance, if you can make the big battle room better, why not? (better gun effects, more splashing, simulated destruction of the fort battlements, explosions, mayhem ......) On Space Mountain, if you can make a supernova more spectacular, then great! On Jungle Cruise, if you can have more lifelike animals or effects, then great!
(but bring back the old canopied boats rather than the current WWI rejects!)

(2) Walt Disney himself said the parks would never be completed, that they would evolve as time went on. What astute businessman Walt was saying was that things need to change so as to provide the customer with new reasons to come back to the park - so let the changes be made.

(3) But while such REDOs are possible, let's hope that the Imagineers of today honor the concepts and original indeas of original creators by not copying or offering caricatures of those designs, but rather, if they are going to offer something new, then go forward completely with that new concept and carry it to its conclusion.

Let's face it - there is no better experience than the very first time you attend a new show or ride a new attraction - outside of those cool "flashy-thingees" possessed by the Men in Black, there is no way to garner that wonderful sense of discovery than to have a theme park offer new attractions. So rejoice in the chance for a new experience!

innerSpaceman
01-24-2002, 08:24 PM
coronamouseman is right about attractions not having to stay stagnant, even if they are classic. Jungle Cruise is the prime example, having been improved quite a number of times during its long history.

That being said, however, I am reluctant to see how major changes could do anything but detract from hyper-classic attractions like Mansion or Pirates. I will admit that, even with the best of rides, they might get stale after 30 years. On the other hand, let's just use the relatively recent changes to Pirates to see if its likely that change will be good or bad. Okay, raise your hands now. Change of the wench chasing scene to a food chasing scene. Good or bad? Elimination of the fat pirate's very baudy original dialoge and replacement with whitewashed speech about food. Good or bad? Removal of the teetering Captain on a stack of barrels and replacement with non-matching robots salvaged from World of Motion. Good or bad?

So, will changes to Pirates be brilliant or destructive? They have the potential to be brilliant, but will they be?

And let's just hope that the rumour about a giant flaming skull is just that - a rumour. Where exactly would you find a giant flaming skull in a 17th century Caribbean town?

Nigel2
01-24-2002, 09:48 PM
Hmmm well they have changed the ship fort battle a little in the past few years but still any ride could use a new look to it. Honestly if the park was going to be the exact same now as it would be 5 years from now (probably not) it would probably be bad for buisness. Even a bad ride will attract people if it is something new to experience. But yeah I do agree that most if not all that they say is exagerated.