PDA

View Full Version : Pirates refurb

robsmustang
05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
I was just reading the disneyland park update and scrolled down to the refurb list to see this "# Pirates of the Caribbean closed October 3 through December 13 (this is what we're hearing, it could change; feel free to send the paniced emails, but that's the response for now)." My trip to dl falls right in the middle of this refurb. what is the reason for this refurb? i just hope they forget about it. this is my second most favorite ride.

bradk
05-16-2005, 12:15 PM
there are a number of recent topics on this.

there are planned upgrades and rumored changes.

Disneynerd
05-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh, I hate it when that happens!!! Your favorite (in this case, second favorite) ride is on refurb and it just so happens to be riiiiiight when you're going. Don't fret, seek counseling immediatly, but don't fret.

PBKokiri
05-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I know what you mean, I am currently planning a December trip and am now trying to schedule around the Pirates refurb. i hope it doesn't stay closed longer than planned! :mad:

I hope your trip is extra special to compensate!

mystycalchyk
05-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Could be worse. Try taking a 5 and 8 year old for their first ever visit and have Sleeping Beauty Castle completely covered up in a blue tarp (as was most of the park).

Refurbs happen. Just try to not let it ruin your trip. :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
I am with you on this. My 3yo would ride POTC all day long if we let him and it is going to be closed during our trip planned for the first week in November. I just hope he is tall enough for Mulholland Madness and maybe that will take his mind off closed POTC. One more inch.

nmjohnston874
05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff. Believe me, that is small stuff, and I hope you never experience anything greather than thje disappointment over a ride refurb.

mancub's mommy
05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff. Believe me, that is small stuff, and I hope you never experience anything greather than thje disappointment over a ride refurb.

Its just hard when you only go to Disneyland once a year (we live near San Francisco and have two small kids) to miss out on a ride, especially one as great as POTC (and a ride that ALL of us can ride). We have reservations for the week of October 17th.....I have actually thought of moving it up.....

But I guess the trade off of no lines since its not peak time is putting up with ride refurbishments.

hlbtimes2
05-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Yep, there is a trade off. You either go peak season when everything is up and running, but with long lines or you go in the off season and miss a ride or two, but have shorter lines. We always go in the off season. I'm thankful that, so far, all that will down is POTC. We will be there Oct 13-17.

wriley
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
THe worst is when you save up to come once every 2 - 3 years, even one small closure is very disappointing, THats why I always plan our trip around the refurbs, Right now we are planning for sept 29 - oct 3 as to get the mansion and Potc but if either are changed then our trip may as well.

Biscuit
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I have yet to break the news to hubby, but I guess we can compensate by riding the WDW version a few more times the week before :D

Still, I'm glad it's only one major ride (possibly) down for the time we are there. I was hoping that because it's the 50th they might try and keep as much as possible up and running during the 18 months.

1 ride is better than 5! So long as Space Mountain is there (and it will be - I waited an extra year to go back so I could do my fave ride) I think I'll be fine.

"A ride with Ric Flair is like a ride on Space Mountain baby! Wooo!"

squuggy
05-16-2005, 03:00 PM
No, the worst is when you go one year and POTC is closed and then plan to go the following year only to learn that it will be closed again once you have made all your travel plans. Grrrrr. :(

Wendi
05-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm sad that it will be down for our next trip as well. But it certainly won't make me stay home!!! It is my favorite ride, so I made sure to ride May 5th knowing that it would possibly be down for our Oct/Nov trip. I think that week is the perfect time of year to go, so I am not going to change my plans for one ride... even Pirates.

TDBearGrrl
05-16-2005, 03:20 PM
I have yet to break the news to hubby, but I guess we can compensate by riding the WDW version a few more times the week before :D

"

Having just ridden (is that a word - seems funny) the WDW version for the first time, it is no substitutue for the DLR POTC. Not even close. I got off POTC at WDW and was homesick for the first time on my trip. Hopefully if they do make changes it will not be to make it more like WDW. But I will say that it is in need of something - the water cannons sounded really odd yesterday.

mystycalchyk
05-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Having just ridden (is that a word - seems funny) the WDW version for the first time, it is no substitutue for the DLR POTC. Not even close. I got off POTC at WDW and was homesick for the first time on my trip. Hopefully if they do make changes it will not be to make it more like WDW. But I will say that it is in need of something - the water cannons sounded really odd yesterday.

:rolleyes: You think Pirates makes you homesick? Just try to stomach the sin that is WDW's version of The Enchanted Tiki Room. Sickening...just sickening.

BTMichael
05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Its just hard when you only go to Disneyland once a year (we live near San Francisco and have two small kids) ...
Don't worry though. Soon enough your kids will be in elementary school, and you'll be pretty much limited to a summertime visit, at which time nearly all of the rides are active.

Toss what I just said if you are homeschooling. :)

tinkluver
05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Having just ridden (is that a word - seems funny) the WDW version for the first time, it is no substitutue for the DLR POTC. Not even close. I got off POTC at WDW and was homesick for the first time on my trip. Hopefully if they do make changes it will not be to make it more like WDW.
Having never been to WDW.... What is the difference between the two?

I too love this ride! Luckily I will be there the 2 days before it goes down for refurb. I'll have to ride it over and over to get my fill before it goes down for the rest of our trip :D

Disneyfreak
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I was just reading the disneyland park update and scrolled down to the refurb list to see this "# Pirates of the Caribbean closed October 3 through December 13 (this is what we're hearing, it could change; feel free to send the paniced emails, but that's the response for now)." My trip to dl falls right in the middle of this refurb. what is the reason for this refurb? i just hope they forget about it. this is my second most favorite ride.

It has not had a major rehab in about 2 years that is why. It really needs it. There is water damage on the ceiling and all kinds of stuff. I also would like them to fix the huge vent holes in the ceiling or adjust the lightning so you dont see them, the ones by the blue bayou. Another thing is the lift to get you back up to the top. That thing looks like it is falling apart and you can feel the chain having a hard time getting the boats up.

GrumpyUTboi
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
This is why we changed our reservations from Oct 30-Nov 5 to Sept 24- Oct 1. We want to ride the HM and POTC. I am really sad that we will miss Halloween at DL. The Villians were great to get pictures with the kids and seeing the Christmas decorations on Nov 1 were special, I guess that we need to make a special trip in Dec to see the Christmas decorations. :crying:

wriley
05-16-2005, 06:21 PM
The one in WDW is in a little building with an outdoor eating area, no cool bayou starting area, there are NO DROPS, the whole ride is much smaller, and the only wide open part is the ship part and it is a much scalled down version. THe biggest thing for me is the no open, fun atmosphere at the start and the lack of drops.

PirateSmile
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I hate that. Not riding IASW a couple years back was torture. Well, the ride is torture in itself, but not carrying on with a tradition is even moreso! At least it will be shining and new again for your next trip!

canadasunflower
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
No, the worst is when you go one year and POTC is closed and then plan to go the following year only to learn that it will be closed again once you have made all your travel plans. Grrrrr. :(

That's what happens if you don't go during the summer. You get reduced crowds, but these rides have to go off-line at some point, or they'd all fall apart.

I'm sorry that you are dissapointed - but that's what happens when you go off-season