PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Rod the piano man.

BiggJakeMoney
01-23-2002, 08:26 PM
On Sunday, after reading much about him on the net for quite some time, I finally met Rod Miller, the piano player at the Coke Corner Cafe.

I chatted with him for awhile about the art of piano playing (I don't play personally, I'm a trumpet guy), how he's progressed over the years, and all about his times playing with Alan, his 19-year-old protege whom he put out a CD with. Rod doesn't play with Alan anymore, but there's quite a story behind that. I won't relate it to you, you're gonna have to ask him about it next time you see him. ;)

Anywho, Rod drew quite a bit of comparisons between Alan and I, agewise, lookwise, buildwise, etc., and said I had the hands to play piano. He told me I should start messing around with it, and hinted that a replacement for Alan might be in order. I was very flattered by that, let me tell you.

Cool, eh? What do you think, guys, should I take him up on it? Being the Disneyland Piano Man's extra hands would be pretty nifty, I think...

-BJM

Morrigoon
01-23-2002, 08:37 PM
If you can succeed at that, you will have a very lucrative future ahead of you. Alan is missing out on some tremendous income working with Rod. But make no mistake... Rod doesn't fool around - you're looking at 6-8 hour *nightly* practice sessions! If you expect to do any less, forget it!

BiggJakeMoney
01-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Tell me about it, Morigoon. Just the story about them missing out on a VERY sizeable GAP commercial paycheck was enough for my pupils to slowly dilate into dollar signs. Ah, the ignorance of youth.

Oh well. His loss is someone elses gain. Perhaps mine....although he did not mention the multi-hour nightly sessions. Ouch! Some hardcore dedication will be in order to be able to withstand that long amount of time in front of the ivories.

-BJM