PDA

View Full Version : What ride/attraction should they add to DL/DCA?

GrimGrinninGhost
05-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Since my post about what ride you shoould take away, ok lets turn the table the other way, What attraction would you like to see come in and where would you pit it...I know some people enjoy Redd Rockets Pizza Port but take it out and put in Alien Encounter or Spaceship Earth they both fit into the tommorowland theme....?

bradk
05-16-2005, 12:00 PM
my initial reaction was 'why would you put anything future related into tomorrowland?'

then i noted your suggestion of spaceship earth, which isn't part of tomorrowland in orlando anyway.

so if spaceship earth, why not mission space?

or better yet, why not test track? i say put that sucker in frontierland if you have to.

GrimGrinninGhost
05-16-2005, 12:07 PM
my initial reaction was 'why would you put anything future related into tomorrowland?'

then i noted your suggestion of spaceship earth, which isn't part of tomorrowland in orlando anyway.

so if spaceship earth, why not mission space?

or better yet, why not test track? i say put that sucker in frontierland if you have to.

Yes i meant to say mission space NOT spaceship earth my bad...

mkcbunny
05-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Mission Space is a great ride, but it seems really suited to Florida. And I like that there are good rides and attractions only to be found in one place. Moving TOT to CA made perfect sense, because the Hollywood theme fits into DCA very well. Whereas, moving Soarin' to Florida didn't seem like the right fit. I don't know why they couldn't have used the same technology but show a new movie that wasn't CA-centric for WDW. Maybe a flight across the country or something?

I am not a big fan of Autopia and could easily Test Track there in in Tomorrowland. Not that it's futuristic or anything, just similarly themed. But in terms of voting for a favorite, I guess I'd have to go with Mission Space and I'd put it in Tomorrowland somewhere.

PragmaticIdealist
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Ugh... enough with the lifting and 'porting of Attractions, already.

Disney needs to get creative again and start making original things. Use the same ride systems and R&D, but make Disneyland and its offspring each one-of-a-kind. Before Walt Disney died, he insisted that The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World would be different than Disneyland. By the time W.D.W. opened many years after his death, most of the Attractions were identical.

The scenario of having a chain of Disneylands where a castle resides on every street corner around the world really distrubs me. The strategy is totally illogical. These cloned Attractions are causing the Theme Parks to cannibalize each other's business. Every Attraction that comes to California means that there is one less reason for me to go to Florida or elsewhere.

I've got news for Disney.

I live in southern California. I would have gone to Disneyland anyway, so, why not give me a few more reasons to go to W.D.W. or Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland, too?

Of those, Tokyo Disneyland seems the most interesting because Tokyo Disney Seas has only two major clone Attractions. All the rest are original.

PragmaticIdealist
05-18-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't know why they couldn't have used the same technology but show a new movie that wasn't CA-centric for WDW. Maybe a flight across the country or something?

Precisely... Disney thinks its saving money. Is it really, though?

These Attractions always cannot just be copied exactly from park to park. So, if The Company is going to spend upwards of $100 million for an Attraction, why make it a copy of another $100 million Attraction that exists somewhere else? Why not use the same ride system and expenditures in research and development, but conceive of an entirely different story and show? The Company would be getting more of a return on its investment that way.

The R&D is where the major costs lie. The cheapest (and most important) factor is the idea, itself.

shawn2ca
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM
I think what Disneyland is really lacking is a good nighttime parade. Bringing back MSEP would be totally inappropriate as it's supposed to have gone, but came back, and then left again, only to end up across the esplanade.

When I lived at Walt Disney World, one of my favorite shows was Spectromagic. Whenever I would get the chance I would drive out to the Magic Kingdom to catch the parade. What Disneyland should get is that...catchy music (as catchy as MSEP), cool floats, and an awesome final parade unit (A group of 3 or 4 floats with accompanying characters walking alongside. The floats are all in white light as are the costumes of all the characters on board and accompanying. At the front float of the unit, there is one one character with a paint brush and two buckets of "light": multi-colored light and white light. The character dips the paint brush into the multi-colored light bucket touches the front float, and all the floats one by one change color in a cascading fashion. What's even cooler is that the costumes of all the characters on the floats and on the street change color with the floats. Pretty cool!)

tinksmommy
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Seriously - they have the best imaginations when it comes to rides and they don't think of limits like we tend to do. My daughter LOVES Disney movies and seems to always think of a ride that would go with the movie. Every time she watches Finding Nemo, she thinks that they should make a ride themed to the EAC (the "ride" that Marlin and Dory take with Squirt and Crush). She has come up with something for Brother Bear as well, but I don't recall it right now. Point is, maybe instead of Disney Imagineers coming up with ride concepts, they need to start younger and THEN let the imagineers have a hand in the design.

mkcbunny
05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Why not use the same ride system and expenditures in research and development, but conceive of an entirely different story and show? The Company would be getting more of a return on its investment that way.
Like Dinosaur at WDW and Indiana Jones at DL have basically the same technology and ride style, but the theming is different. Indy is kind of thrilling and adventurous, like its park "land," while Dinosaur, in Animal Kingdom, is actually thrilling in a more horror-movie, scary kind of way. I know those big dino-heands are going to pop out, but I scream like a little girl every single time.

I've read some negative comments about the pending Nemo ride at the lagoon [various anti-Pixar and anti-movie-themed comments], but I, for one, am really glad that they are:

1) Finally using the lagoon for somthing
2) Making a ride that's not already in one of the other parks
3) Linking it to a movie that people really liked

I love that Fantasyland at DL is different from Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom. [And better, of course. :)]

SilverStyle
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Hmmm....

Extending DCA where the Timone parking lot is. Making a Incredible rides and something to do with cars

bradk
05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
re: IJA and Dinosaur

even though they technically are the same ride, IJA is considered so much better, that I know they've been considering installing it at WDW as well. or so I've heard.

Emma
05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I'd like to see them put CBJ over in DCA.

mkcbunny
05-18-2005, 06:05 PM
re: IJA and Dinosaur

even though they technically are the same ride, IJA is considered so much better, that I know they've been considering installing it at WDW as well. or so I've heard.

And they do have the IJ stunt show there, so it could tie in. The main problem with Dinosaur is that it's too dark, visually. There are lots of places where you want to see more detail in the dinos and the environment and you can't. At DL, Indy has fire, and light, and all kinds of cool visual, sensory, and audio effects.

Catcherman22
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
They need to add RNR (It'll fit perfectly in the hollywood backlot.).. but it needs to be enhanced before it comes in.

The Ride needs to be at least 1 minute longer... if not more.

Dan

PragmaticIdealist
05-18-2005, 08:52 PM
The point is that dinosaurs are very different from globe-trotting archaeologists.

By having a completely different Attraction in Disney's Animal Kingdom, The Company is more likely to get me to visit that park.

The ride systems may be the same, but so what? It's the story and show that matter.

The Haunted Mansion and Adventures thru Inner Space had the same ride system. It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean have the same ride system. Does anyone feel the need to compare any of these Attractions to each other?

I really think The Walt Disney Company is creating a mess for itself by duplicating these Attractions ad nauseum.

It's another example of a penny-wise and pound-foolish mentality. Instead of spending $90 million to duplicate The Twilight Zone, for example, in California, I would have spent $91 million to create a completely different Attraction using the same ride system.

pboeoahr
05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm not creative enough to come up with a new and exciting attraction, but one I would love to see come back is Journey to Inner Space. As a child it was one of my favorites and I was very dissapointed when they decided to send it to Yesterland. :(

HorizonsA
05-19-2005, 08:01 AM
I'd like to see Maelstrom go into Fantasyland somewhere. I like that flume ride at Epcot. It would fit right into the land.

Oh, and of course, I would love to see them relocate the Carousel of Progress from WDW to the Carousel Theatre here at Disneyland. Or, why can't they just duplicate it? You'd think that Matt would see that our Innoventions not nearly the same quality and excitment as Epcot's. Or, they could just turn the Carousel Theatre back to it's original attraction and leave the top part Innoventions.

OregonBoy1963
05-19-2005, 05:54 PM
How about a Robin Hood/Knights themed area over where Thunder Mountain BBQ area is? They could do performance/dinners like Medieval Times or something. Could also add a dark ride through a castle, moats, forest, etc.

SuefromRI
05-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I know that they are putting a Monsters Inc ride in DCA, but as we were leaving the theater after seeing it my friend said, "all I could think of while watching the scene with the hundres of doors flying around was wouldn't that make an awesome Disney ride?" And of course I had to agree.
I'd like to see Disney come up with a new attraction that could rival Spiderman in IOA for technology and excitement.

PirateSmile
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Beauty and the Beast dark ride! You could ride around in chip :D. The best part of the ride is when you ride into the ballroom and see Belle and Beast dancing.

sdfilmcritic
05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Beauty and the Beast themed dark ride!

pisces
05-20-2005, 07:14 AM
DCA needs its own Christmas Tree. I was shocked that they didn't have one. Why does the Original Park get a tree and not DCA?

But, then that's part of their whole problem: They won't invest in DCA, and then complain (IMHO) that attendance is not as good.

DCA should have its own Christmas Tree, either right at the main Entrance, or Condor Flats. Condor Flats needs something to jazz it up.That area needs help.

I also think Downtown Disney should have a Christmas Tree. Why was there no tree in Downtown Disney?