PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Golden Zephyr so named?

Pages : [1] 2

Tutter
05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Just pondering as I looked at them this evening. They are silver, not gold. So I googled golden zephyr and can't find anything other than the ride.

I know Zephyr is the West wind or the god of the west wind - but thats as far as I get. Anyone kow why they are called that?

TrekkieDad
05-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Zephyr is the god of the western wind in Greek mythology. A gentle wind in the west is usually associated with fair weather, and the term "zephyr" has come to mean any light, gentle breeze.

bradk
05-15-2005, 06:31 AM
i believe the real question is why 'golden'?

Disneylanding
05-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I asked a CM that question a year ago too. It gets the name Golden cause it's in the "Golden" state. Ha, cheesy yeah I know.

bradk
05-15-2005, 06:37 AM
or more precisely, if they have to be called 'golden,' then why are the cars silver?

of course i'm only speculating on behalf of tutter.

fredc
05-15-2005, 07:05 AM
The Golden Zephyr is a duplicate of rides of the same type that were in amusement parks 40-50 years ago. I rode such a ride at a park next to my summer home in New Jersey when I was a kid. The name was the same.

PragmaticIdealist
05-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Whoever named half the things in that park should be fired?

Malibu + boomer = Maliboomer?
California Dreaming - Dreaming + Screaming - g = California Screamin'?
Burbank + Ice Cream ("Burr") = Burr-bank Ice Cream?
Bakery + Bakersfield / Baker's + Field = Baker's Field Bakery?
Engineer + Ear {apparently in referrence to Mickey's large ears} + toys = Engine-EARS Toys?
Soap Opera (ABC) + Bistro = ABC Soap Opera Bistro?
Smoothies + Schmooze = Schmoozie's?
San Andreas [Faultline] + Sam - San + Shakes = Sam Andreas Shakes?
Hollywood Pictures {now defunct} + Backlot = Hollywood Pictures Backlot?
"a bug's life" - life + land = a bug's land?
Hollywood & Vine - Vine + Dine = Hollywood & Dine?
Test Pilot - Test + Taste + Grill = Taste Pilot's Grill?

Apparently, Californians are known for their bad puns and total lack of originality and logic. For that matter, who gave the place the lame name, "Disney's California Adventure"?

I have yet to meet anyone who uses that term to refer to the park.

rentayenta
05-15-2005, 07:50 AM
I kinda think the names are cute but I am from So Cal and can appreciate a bad pun. :D

Klutch
05-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, "Disney's California Adventure" is obviously a name formed by comittee. It's similar to all the new sports stadiums with new corporate names. Here in Colorado, a new football stadium replaced the old and well known "Mile High Stadium". The new, corporate name is "Mile High at Invesco Field". Of course, nobody who isn't paid to say that name actually uses it.

If Disneyland was designed by a comittee from the 21st century, it would have been called "Walt Disney Pictures Experience", "Walt Disney Productions Park by the Groves", or some other ridiculous, non-catchy name.

As for the Golden Zephyr, I remember watching episodes of the Little Rascals on TV back in the 1970's. There was one episode where the new teacher, Mrs. Crabtree, takes the students to a beach amusement park. One scene briefly showed a ride that looked exactly like the Golden Zephyr. Since that episode was probably filmed in the 1920's, that ride must go *way* back. Of course, I couldn't tell what color it was in a B&W short. :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Then couldn't they have just made them gold!?

tod
05-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Engineer + Ear {apparently in referrence to Mickey's large ears} + toys = Engine-EARS Toys?

Apparently, Californians are known for their bad puns and total lack of originality and logic. For that matter, who gave the place the lame name, "Disney's California Adventure"?

Welcome aboard. Looks like you just got here.

Some of the names are clever, some aren't. Some are appealing, some are painfully lame. That's the way it goes. I wouldn't infer from that that "Apparently, Californians are known for their bad puns and total lack of originality and logic": I would take some pleasure in knowing that somebody tried to come up with witty, clever names for things as mundane as a roller coaster and a toy shop. Sometimes, multi-layered like "Burr-bank Ice Cream" which includes images of cold; a reference to Burbank, home of Walt Disney Productions since WWII; and a sly tip-of-the-hat to the Mickey Mouse cartoon where Mickey takes the wrong train and winds up in... Burbank!

I'd rather they try to be witty than not at all.

--t

CrazyTrain
05-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I happen to like all of the different names of the restaurants, rides, etc. They're fun!

I don't get the orange stinger though. Is it an orange or a bee hive?

SCUBAbe
05-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I like the names and as far as lame unoriginal names we could do the same at disneyland....starting with the name disneyland....LOL...but I like most of the names in DL too..:)

Disneyfun
05-15-2005, 08:59 AM
I happen to like all of the different names of the restaurants, rides, etc. They're fun!

I don't get the orange stinger though. Is it an orange or a bee hive?
Never been on the oragange stinger but I know when it wa sbeing built the talk around town was that it was to represent the oragne groves. That use to be around. and in these orange groves would be large shaped oranges where you could get a drink. THere for this big orange is from that (one can still be seen in the riverside area. As for the name stinger I am thinking the swings are supose to be bees.??
I could be streching here.
But NO it is not a hive it is definetly an orange.

bradk
05-15-2005, 09:01 AM
re: orange stinger

The Orange Stinger puts guests in special 'bee' chairs and swings them around a giant orange, which has been claimed as a beehive. Guests can hear the bees during their journey, and even smell the orange scent, which is pumped in to the attraction.

sunfun94
05-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Some of the names are clever, some aren't. Some are appealing, some are painfully lame. That's the way it goes. I wouldn't infer from that that "Apparently, Californians are known for their bad puns and total lack of originality and logic": I would take some pleasure in knowing that somebody tried to come up with witty, clever names for things as mundane as a roller coaster and a toy shop. Sometimes, multi-layered like "Burr-bank Ice Cream" which includes images of cold; a reference to Burbank, home of Walt Disney Productions since WWII; and a sly tip-of-the-hat to the Mickey Mouse cartoon where Mickey takes the wrong train and winds up in... Burbank!

--t

Exactly...

Wesley815
05-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Welcome aboard. Looks like you just got here.

--tI agree with you 100% and couldn't have said it better myself... I guess since he (or she) thinks "Californians" are so stupid he better never come here and support our economy by visiting Disneyland or DCA!

Disney Vault
05-15-2005, 10:58 AM

I never understood where all those names came from. I actually like California Screamin' though and a few others. But most of them are kind of blah.

DCACM
05-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Never been on the oragange stinger but I know when it wa sbeing built the talk around town was that it was to represent the oragne groves. That use to be around. and in these orange groves would be large shaped oranges where you could get a drink. THere for this big orange is from that (one can still be seen in the riverside area. As for the name stinger I am thinking the swings are supose to be bees.??
I could be streching here.
But NO it is not a hive it is definetly an orange.

The bees pollinate the orange groves, helping to create those juicy CA oranges.

DCACM
05-15-2005, 12:15 PM
The Golden Zephyr is a duplicate of rides of the same type that were in amusement parks 40-50 years ago. I rode such a ride at a park next to my summer home in New Jersey when I was a kid. The name was the same.

The Golden Zephyr is a repro of a vintage amusement park ride..

this one in Ohio's late Idora Park: http://idoraparkipmc.tripod.com/postcards/rockets.jpg

Yes, it's called "golden" but is actually silver, to reflect the golden sunshine of sunny CA. Works for me.

Disneyfun
05-15-2005, 12:46 PM
The Golden Zephyr is a repro of a vintage amusement park ride..

this one in Ohio's late Idora Park: http://idoraparkipmc.tripod.com/postcards/rockets.jpg

Yes, it's called "golden" but is actually silver, to reflect the golden sunshine of sunny CA. Works for me.
I thought about the reflection of the golden sunshine But then thought nooooo to far of a strech . Nice to know I was not the only one thinknig that.

DCAWhites
05-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Zephyr is the god of the western wind in Greek mythology. A gentle wind in the west is usually associated with fair weather, and the term "zephyr" has come to mean any light, gentle breeze.

HAHA am I the only one laughing my *** off over this since the golden zepher closes in like a 5 MPH wind.

TrekkieDad
05-15-2005, 05:39 PM
As for all the bad puns... There is no such thing as a good pun. However, a pun's effectiveness is measured by the groans it elicits.

evrythngwmn
05-16-2005, 02:18 AM
For that matter, who gave the place the lame name, "Disney's California Adventure"?

I have and try to call it by it's full name. The company put a memo out awhile back to remember to call it Disney's California Adventure and to call the GCH Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. The reason being, they wanted to make sure that the Disney name was foremost in the titles and not being left out as everyone is apt to do.

bradk
05-16-2005, 02:22 AM
ironically enough, one might not want to remind the common folk that it's not a true representation of the state of california, but rather the Disneyfication of california.