PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland 5-13-05 Trip Report with pics or Why does the DLR smell like this?

Pages : [1] 2

nursemelis374
05-14-2005, 10:20 AM
We were so excited to go and finally see the fireworks and show! After eating our delicious dinner of Round Table pizza and watching DLF on TRL, we were off!

We arrived at about 7 and entered the parking structure where we waited in the longest line to park! I don’t know what was going on, but it took forever to park! It was pretty frustrating, especially when you are so excited to get into the park! We approached the trams and noticed a ton of people waiting! Normally if you arrive at this time, the line isn’t too bad. We got on the tram and headed for the park where we encountered more long lines to get into DL. It went pretty fast though.

It was mass chaos at the entrance and on Main Street, as there were tons of people waiting to watch the parade. We headed down and noticed the worst smell just before hitting the watch shop. It smelled so bad, like vomit. Other people were covering their faces, it was disgusting. I have no idea where it came from. We sent CO to get Buzz FPs for us while we went to check out the wait times board. It didn’t look too bad. 35 min for Buzz, 25 for Indy, 5 for JC, 25 for HM, etc. However, we would son find out that these times were not right.

We got our FP times for 9:40, so we headed to the Jungle Cruise. The line here said 15 minutes. The board had said 5, but we didn’t care. We also looked at Indy and saw that the wait was 45 min, when it had said 25! I knew there was no way that could be right. I haven’t had to walk up the stairs in the queue in a long time. I noticed all the signs that said you may get wet and started to worry because I hate getting wet. It was pretty warm though and I knew you wouldn’t get that wet, so we pressed on. Just before getting on a CM gave us 3 FPs for Indy! Yeah, now we could go on it! We hadn’t been on it in forever because the line is always so long!

We went to get on the JC and this snooty middle aged couple sat next to us in the very back. The ride was good and these people got really wet at the end when the piranhas came up! It was awesome! We were laughing so hard because they were all prim and proper. Hint: If you don’t want to get that wet sit nearer the loading area, or on the side that will go right next to Indy. Good upgrades to this ride!

Then we went to use our FPs for Indy and had a great time on that ride as usual. I always hope that we will break down on the bridge and get to walk off, but, alas, not this time! A huge THANKS! To the CM that gave us those FP!

We then went on POTC, which had a 15 minute wait. This ride was good as usual, but again there was that stupid vomit smell! It was right before you go into the big fight seen. It was horrible! The new water shoots are neat though! It was also here that I shared my idea for Mouse Adventure Costumes with my team and now we are really excited about it!

We then decided to go get spots for the fireworks, as it was about 8:35. We sat down on the street around the hub near the entrance to Frontierland. It was packed! We made up games to entertain ourselves as we waited. Then it was time! I can’t even express how good this show is! Totally worth the wait. I think having all the rides was genius, people would start cheering when their favorite came on! We were all crying, especially when Walt was speaking. Loved the part with the Haunted Mansion and POTC. I would wait again to see this. I have a feeling I will watch this a lot this summer! It was a really cool experience to share with everybody of all ages celebrating this great place! Am so grateful that Walt invented Disneyland! I have a million good memories there!

I was surprised that it really wasn’t too bad to get out of the hub to the other side for or Buzz FP. Nothing like on NYE!

A note: A ton of people head to Buzz and Star Tours after the fireworks. When we got on Buzz, the line was 35 and when we got off it was 60! I kicked but ton Buzz and scored 241,000! Yeah! My best score yet. I love this ride, but just wish the line wasn’t so long.

We then headed up Main Street (noticed the nasty smell yet again!) and did a round trip on the train. It was about 10:30 at this time and still pretty warm! I love summer!

We headed towards the Opera house and saw Maynard! He was actually being normal and told us a lot about the exhibit, which was cool. The movie was great. I love Donald and enjoyed seeing everything! Of course, got choked up again during this!

It was then time to go home. I was mad because Sephora was closed and I needed some make-up. Why do they close so early? We went to McDonald’s for diet coke and ice cream and headed home! A great trip!

Here is a link to a few pictures:
DLR Pictures 5-13-05 (http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=605002120106&page=1&sort_order=0)

Crazy4DL
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Fun report! and you and blueckles and your other friends are so cute! what fun friends and you get to go to DL together, how nice :)

SallySkellington
05-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Ack! Remind me never to tick you off, nurse! I don't want a knife put to my throat! :eek:

Sounds like fun! I'm sooooo jealous!

CrazyTrain
05-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Looks like a fun trip! :)

Wesley815
05-14-2005, 12:47 PM
I was also at the park yesterday with a few friends and noticed that SAME smell you were talking about! It was HORRIBLE on Pirates, all of the "vents" that blow towards the boat going through the tunnels were blowing that very nasty smell out. It was enough to make us gag at some points. I also noticed it on Main Street in certain areas as well. Pirates normally has the "musty" smell to it, but not like sick vomit or trash. I wonder if there was a backed up sewer pipe somewhere in the park, or was it due to how humid it's been? Did you notice the trash cans on Pirates too? They were so full trash was piled up all over the place in the que... I don't know what was up with that attraction yesterday but, ugh, it was bad.

Hopefully that smell was only happening yesterday because I don't want to think of how bad it'd be during a 100+ degree summer day with sweaty guests mixed in. :eek:

Besides the smell (and humid/hot weather) it was a great day in the park! :D The crowds were big but moved pretty quickly after each show and parade.

merlinjones
05-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Yesterday, I noticed the Main Street vomit smell too - - I figured somebody (big) lost it during the parade or something... right near the ice cream shop/bakery. But the smell never faded as the night wore on... :eek:

sdfilmcritic
05-14-2005, 07:39 PM
After reading about some of the fun you three had and seeing the photos now I wish I had the chance to hang out with you ladies. I'm sure it can be a crazy adventure.
It was then time to go home. I was mad because Sephora was closed and I needed some make-up. Why do they close so early? We went to McDonald’s for diet coke and ice cream and headed home! A great trip!How is it mentioned on the parking lot tram? "And to the right you will see Downtown Disney. Designed after the arts and crafts movement.... {snip out the blah blah blah} ...hours of the stores may vary."

Aussie MouseFan
05-14-2005, 07:51 PM
When waiting for Pirates and you smell that smell.... look down.

Odds are you are standing on one of the Sewer vents (it says SEWER)....

mmmmmm, felt like lining up for Blue Bayou after that one.. lol

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Great trip report and I love the pics. Reminds me of the days my friends and I use to go to DLR. Before kids! LOL

nursemelis374
05-14-2005, 11:46 PM
When waiting for Pirates and you smell that smell.... look down.

Odds are you are standing on one of the Sewer vents (it says SEWER)....

mmmmmm, felt like lining up for Blue Bayou after that one.. lol

Except the smell wasn't in the POTC line! It was on the ride!

evrythngwmn
05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Yeah the trash area for the New Orleans kitchens is right near Pirates. Maybe there was something going on there. I know I've read in company memos that they're doing something with the trash compacters somewhere. Perhaps there. I usually just skim that part as it doesn't relate to my job.

blueckles
05-15-2005, 12:19 AM
After reading about some of the fun you three had and seeing the photos now I wish I had the chance to hang out with you ladies. I'm sure it can be a crazy adventure.

Oh, it can get crazy, believe me. ;) But we ARE lots of fun! :D

PS - Nurse DID seem a little too comfortable with that knife :eek: jk

justlittleoldme
05-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I heard that a drain/sewer line from the blue ribbon bakery got backed up. UGH. I was there that day too, but didn't notice the smell.

Wesley815
05-15-2005, 10:39 AM
When waiting for Pirates and you smell that smell.... look down. Odds are you are standing on one of the Sewer vents (it says SEWER)....No really!? Wow it says sewer on the vent... I wonder what that means? :rolleyes:

I'm not an idiot, I know there's always been the sewer vent there. Next time "when your waiting to reply to our posts and you don't pay attention... look down. Odds are your going to miss something since I said inside the attraction (my post said INSIDE)".

:geek: :D

Shortiemetoo
05-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Loved your trip report and the pics!! Glad you had such a great time!

MrsG
05-15-2005, 11:53 AM
We noticed the vomit smells yesterday (Saturday) at the exact places you all mentioned. We were going to eat at Carnation at about 11:30 and it was closed (?) and the smell was overwhelmingly awful. We moved on and later in the day whet on pirates. Didn't smell the smell outside, but inside. Never had that experience before. Ugh!! Cold vomit-infused air blowing on you (by the treasure scene)! Even later in the day, walked past Carnation, now open, and still smelling. Can't be good for appetites.

DisneylandAlum
05-15-2005, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=nursemelis374]
It was mass chaos at the entrance and on Main Street, as there were tons of people waiting to watch the parade. We headed down and noticed the worst smell just before hitting the watch shop. It smelled so bad, like vomit. Other people were covering their faces, it was disgusting. I have no idea where it came from.

We were also there on May 13th and I noticed the same awful smell on Main Street! Same exact side, near the watch shop. It was terrible. Smelled it when walking both directions on the street.

I worked at Disneyland for four years and have been an AP holder for many years -- it was the first time I ever smelled anything like that. I have no *clue* what it was!

Weren't the fireworks AMAZING?!

blusilva
05-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes, I experienced the lovely smell of spilt protein on Main Street Friday night as well. A whole bunch of people (we were smashed in like sardines trying to get up the street after the parade) were gacked out by it. It was pretty gross.

DisneyMomof4
05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
We too were there that weekend and the smell was overpowering on Pirates! We went on it both Saturday and Sunday and the smell was there. Not a good thing when you are 12 weeks pregnant and hypersensitive to smells!

Fitspire
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
We were there Thur - Sat. The smell was horrible on all three days, beginning at Coke Corner all the way down to Carnation Cafe. I noticed the smell in Pirates right by the treasure section. It was better, (but not gone) by Saturday.

Interestingly enough, Carnation Cafe and the Blue Ribbon Bakery were closed on Saturday morning from opening until at least 11:00 am (don't know when they finally opened, but we tried to get in around 11:00). I was told by the CM's that it was due to a computer failure, but I wonder if it actually had to do with the smell.

As crowded (and stinky) as the park was, it was still a great trip. Fireworks were incredible!!!!!!!!!!

I heard that a drain/sewer line from the blue ribbon bakery got backed up. UGH. I was there that day too, but didn't notice the smell.

Mukta
05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
First of all I wanted to say that I loved your trip report and the pictures were great.

Secondly, I am so glad that I didn't go to the parks this weekend. All these reports of the smell are making me gag.

sdfilmcritic
05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Okay, I went to DL on Sunday and there were still a leftover vomit smell at some parts of the POTC ride. Mainly the smell was discovered as the boat passed by the vents that blew air on to the guests.

And what's up with the 25 sprays of water from the cannon fight? There was the sounds of air bubbles getting trapped with each explosion.

And I finally got to meet Maynard for the first time thanks to Nurse's trip report and her helpful hint at where he is located. :D He had my mom giving a "nervous but still funny" laugh when he said with an extremely grim and depressed face "The happiness is that way" and he points toward the main lobby area of the Opera House.

nursemelis374
05-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Okay, I went to DL on Sunday and there were still a leftover vomit smell at some parts of the POTC ride. Mainly the smell was discovered as the boat passed by the vents that blew air on to the guests.

And what's up with the 25 sprays of water from the cannon fight? There was the sounds of air bubbles getting trapped with each explosion.

And I finally got to meet Maynard for the first time thanks to Nurse's trip report and her helpful hint at where he is located. :D He had my mom giving a "nervous but still funny" laugh when he said with an extremely grim and depressed face "The happiness is that way" and he points toward the main lobby area of the Opera House.

I am glad I could be helpful in enabling you to meet Maynard! I am glad he is in the Opera House as it suits him perfectly! Did he show you any pics of his twin?

sdfilmcritic
05-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I am glad I could be helpful in enabling you to meet Maynard! I am glad he is in the Opera House as it suits him perfectly! Did he show you any pics of his twin?No he didn't. :( I'm hoping I will have another run in with him because I didn't get to hang out with him for very long the first time. And my mom forgot to bring her camera so we couldn't get a picture with him at all.

CrazyTrain
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I didn't smell anything bad by Carnation Cafe, etc. on Sunday. (Didn't go on Purates though!)