PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland - In your mind's eye. Where do you see?

Pages : [1] 2

Pat-n-Eil
05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I was thinking about my upcoming trip to Disneyland and then thought about being in Disneyland. For no particular reason, I pictured myself in the shopping area of New Orlean's Square by Le Bat en Rouge. I don't know why. I don't have any special affinity for this store, but I do like to ride The Pirates of the Caribbean quite a bit when I'm there.. so perhaps that is it. I guess it is just the ambiance of New Orleans Square - the music, the smells..

So - when you think of Disneyland today, what is the first place you see in your mind's eye? :)

SallySkellington
05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Haunted Mansion Holiday. :happy sigh: :D

Eighty8Keys
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
The Matterhorn. I grew up in SoCal and my family would go to Disneyland about every 1-2 years. My parents would never tell us when we were going, so when my sister and I spotted the Matterhorn from the freeway, we would practically melt from the excitement and anticipation. Years later, it's still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Disneyland.

tinkluver
05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Walking down Main Street toward the castle.

Disneyfun
05-13-2005, 11:14 AM
The Matterhorn. I grew up in SoCal and my family would go to Disneyland about every 1-2 years. My parents would never tell us when we were going, so when my sister and I spotted the Matterhorn from the freeway, we would practically melt from the excitement and anticipation. Years later, it's still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Disneyland.
I use to live in northern california and our yearly trip was to DL. THe first person to see the MH would win a quarter that had sat on the center console for the whole trip down!
Ah Such memories!
But the best now being a mom and my duagher and I go about every two weeks is she just noticed the MH from a far. So Now we play the game together.

Opus1guy
05-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Matterhorn. I grew up in SoCal and my family would go to Disneyland about every 1-2 years. My parents would never tell us when we were going, so when my sister and I spotted the Matterhorn from the freeway, we would practically melt from the excitement and anticipation.

I have a very similar memory (as do thousands that grew up in the Southland during that time). Only in the very early days of Disneyland, almost all SoCal kids cranked their necks to see who would be the first to spot the TWA Moonliner Rocket Ship (the "big" landmark before the Matterhorn was built)!

It was so exciting to spot that gleaming red and white rocket to the future. And to us back then, it seemed 80 stories high!

After the Matterhorn was constructed, we continued to play "Spot The Rocket"...but only for a few more trips. There was no escaping it...the Matterhorn quickly edged-out the Moonliner as the official horizon landmark to spot.

I still read stories and run into people (even Disneyland and Imagineering cast) that recall the utter thrill of spotting the Moonliner from the freeway or Harbor Blvd. And I know for a fact that kids play "Spot The Matterhorn" still to this day. Though perhaps with a bit less gusto than we did all those years ago. But then again, who knows what the kids of today will recall and feel about it in later years to come.

:)

GrimmGreen
05-13-2005, 11:52 AM
i'm going to have to 2nd or 3rd or whatever , the matterhorn... there is that one spot when it gets busy , the line waits infront of the waterfall , and the smell of the " disney water " splashing near you , infact when i was young i would tear leaves off of the plants in the matterhorn line , and put them in my pocket to take home ... geeky i know

GrimGrinninGhost
05-13-2005, 11:56 AM
When i think of Disneyland i imagine myself in a quiet area of the park,,such as the Thunder Mountain Trail or the back area behind Grizzly River Rapids, Somewhere i can still view people walking by but where its quieter than most of the parks

Mommy2NicknMax
05-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Adventureland, going on Indy and stopping for a Dole Whip float afterwords.

Rhiannon8404
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm with the OP, for some reason, I see myself in NOS walking through the shopping area. I love that area. I always go into the Jewel of Orleans and look at all the fabulous estate jewelry. We always listen to the jazz, etc.

TikiGeek
05-13-2005, 12:19 PM
And I know for a fact that kids play "Spot The Matterhorn" still to this day. Big kids too! ;)

blusilva
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
I always picture myself just emerging from the left hand tunnel, and seeing Town Square, all pretty and bustling.

amarvel
05-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Not a place perse, but i think of the music, the sounds, the feel it brings to me, man i cannot wait for my trip this year!!

Pilot Mickey
05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
i always think of the hub and Sleeping Beauties castle when i think of Disneyland. Although, i usually don't think of the surrounding lands, unless i am thinking of a land/ride in particular. :p

OregonBoy1963
05-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Coming out on Splash Mountain for the big drop and seeing the park.

MrsG
05-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Great thread idea!

In my mind's eye, I always end up on Main Street near Coke Corner with Rod playing the piano in the background, or at Carnation Cafe in the shade on a warm summer's day.

sriggins
05-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Haunted Mansion Holiday. :happy sigh: :D

I'm right there with Sally (Well any HM is great for me hehe)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I remember as a kid flying in to SNA and often times seeing the MH.

Now for me, it is walking down MS. I see the sparkle in the eyes of my kids. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

coronado_g
05-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I picture myself walking down Main Street, facing the Castle. That's when I always think "I'm here!! This is it!! I'm walking in Disneyland! I'm breathing the air in Disneyland! I'm seeing the sights and hearing the sounds! I'm Here!"

tinksmom
05-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Looking across ROA from Tom Sawyer's Island toward NOS.

stinkerbell
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
New Orleans Square....close to Pirates, looking up toward the Gallery. Whenever I think of Disneyland (which is, uh, often ;) ), I picture myself in this area before anywhere else. Always.

melmel
05-14-2005, 07:55 PM
At work at the BB!! :D

mkcbunny
05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I always picture myself around the teacups and looking at the Matterhorn with "The Un-Birthday Song" laying in the background.

sjcivilady
05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
the esplanade....waiting in line to enter the park and can't wait to get in....or walking down Main St and first seeing the castle.

BTMichael
05-15-2005, 02:01 PM
New Orleans Square....close to Pirates, looking up toward the Gallery. Whenever I think of Disneyland (which is, uh, often ;) ), I picture myself in this area before anywhere else. Always.
Pretty much the same vision, except in mine it occurs on a summer's evening and the crowds are light to moderate. Obviously, I am flashing back to my pre-Fantasmic days! :)