PDA

View Full Version : Club 33 membership waitlist times

Pages : [1] 2

tod
05-13-2005, 07:46 AM
I just sent a request to get on the Club 33 waiting list.

I know that it's kind of like predicting how long it'll take for the next earthquake -- it could be any time, you never know, bla bla bla -- but how much time do I have to win the lottery before I get that letter from 33 Royal Street?

Any real-life stories?

--t

05-13-2005, 07:56 AM
No idea but I'm so solliciting you and The Lovely Mrs. tod when the Big Day comes.

Just not on MP.

scaeagles
05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
I know nothing about wait list times, but how many members are there in total? A thousand? A couple thousand?

AmandasDad
05-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Wait time is 3-5 years depending on various factors. Membership is under 500.

ken001b
05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Current wait time was told to be in the 4 year range right now according to someone at the Club...although that is greatly approximated based on the average number of members who do not renew their membership therefore clearing the way for the next member. Therefore this number could fluxuate greatly.

TikiGeek
05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm sure Opus1guy can give us a definitive answer. ;)

Osky
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, I can tell you 100% without a doubt that it is greater than two years! :)

Sometimes I wonder with the advent of the Internet and increasing availability of information, has applications to the club risen significantly in recent years?

Christiii
05-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Im going for my first time tommorow night for dinner, and Ill ask then, and maybe try to get on a list....I heard from someone that they asked for a a $550 depost for the waitlist...but is that true?? Ive only heard that from one person, and Ive heard lots of people are on the waitlist...I cant imagine everyone paying just to be on the waitlist...Im hoping that if my name dies come up, that I can pool it with a few friends and we all use it...that would be do-able and so friggin cool!!!

Osky
05-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I heard from someone that they asked for a a $550 depost for the waitlist...but is that true??

True. They can send their money to me and I will add them! :D

It's false. No deposit for the waitlist.

Opus1guy
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Wait time is 3-5 years depending on various factors. Membership is under 500.

This is correct. A recent long-time reader of my web site finally got his membership a few months ago after a 3yr+7mo wait. But there can be times when the waitlist has jumped to as long as 8 years.

I'm told that pending application numbers are very high at the moment. Someone who applies today, might have a longer than 3 year wait. This is due to some degree to recent published articles on the Club that have peaked interest in memberships. Also...IMHO...due to new management at the Club punching things up. Word gets around. Club 33 is very "hot" right now.

Membership attrition is a hard thing to predict. Three main factors that tend to shake some apples off the tree are:

The Economy: When the economy is sour, a few big cost cutting corporations either drop their memberships altogether, or trim back the number of Corporate Associate cards that are issued by them, to save money. Individual memberships can be effected by this too. This helps free up some spots for new memberships. Of course the reverse is true too. If the economy is good, then Corporate Members tend to expand their memberships, thus increasing the waitlist times.

The Annual Dues: When annual dues go up, there's always some members that feel that the price just isn't worth it for them any longer or is no longer affordable. Resulting in some bow-outs.

The Grim Reaper: Dead members find there is no longer any practical benefit to membership. So they pack it in and move on. ;)

Another factor is waitlist attrition. While it may look like say, a 5 year wait to management...you'd be surprised how many people finally clear the list, but then decide to pass on membership when they do! This is another thing that makes it very hard for the Club to predict true waitlist times.

I heard from someone that they asked for a a $550 depost for the waitlist...but is that true??

As has already been reported, this is false. The only Deposit requirement I know of is for a $500 Deposit to hold a Private Party Reservation.

D-lander 1956
05-13-2005, 10:34 AM
The Grim Reaper: Dead members find there is no longer any practical benefit to membership. So they pack it in and move on. ;)
Yeah, right over to the Haunted Mansion. ;)

mystycalchyk
05-13-2005, 10:38 AM
..Im hoping that if my name dies come up, that I can pool it with a few friends and we all use it...that would be do-able and so friggin cool!!!

Count me and Will on that list then. We'll jump into that pool :fez:
I know Doug and Arnie would too.....how awesome would that be?

*crosses fingers that Christii's name comes up*

Opus1guy
05-13-2005, 10:51 AM
..Im hoping that if my name dies come up, that I can pool it with a few friends and we all use it...that would be do-able and so friggin cool!!!

While several Members certainly have done that, you have to be very discreet about it if you decide to go that route.

Individual Memberships are just that. And the Club does not officially allow pooling or multi-ownerships of Individual Memberships. Just make sure you designate who is going to officially be "The Member", that you don't say anything to anyone at the Club about what you're doing, and make sure your "partners" keep their big ego-tempted mouths shut...especially when at the Club.

Memberships have been threatened and in a few rare instances...revoked...over this issue.

What the Club doesn't know, can't hurt you. Just be sure to keep it that way.

FYI...even though I've offered to pay part of my Member-friend's dues many times...he always refuses based on Club policy, which he respects and honors.

Shortiemetoo
05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Im going for my first time tommorow night for dinner, and Ill ask then, and maybe try to get on a list....I heard from someone that they asked for a a $550 depost for the waitlist...but is that true?? Ive only heard that from one person, and Ive heard lots of people are on the waitlist...I cant imagine everyone paying just to be on the waitlist...Im hoping that if my name dies come up, that I can pool it with a few friends and we all use it...that would be do-able and so friggin cool!!!

Well I think that is the only way I will ever be able to afford a membership! So if you ever consider it I'll be happy to join in, and since I'm in Sac it might even work. I can keep quiet too...shhhhh lol!!

mad4mky
05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
We've been on the waiting list for a year and a half. No news yet. But, if I ever do hear that we can be 'in'...I'd best have all our bills paid, and a winning lottery ticket in my hand... :rolleyes:

MartyLuvsTigger
05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I am glad I have had the chance to go to club 33, but paying for a whole membership...That would be big bucks! :eek:

Mouseearsusa
05-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Are there still a gold and silver membership. Gold $7500.00 w/2500.00 annual dues, Silver $4500.00 w/1500.00 annual dues?
Where did everybody get 500.00 for a membership from?

adriennek
05-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I know that it's kind of like predicting how long it'll take for the next earthquake

We'll probably have a new conclave soon enough and when TLMt & I get made co-pope, you'll probably get bumped so we can all eat there when we go to the parks. Don't you think?

Adrienne

Opus1guy
05-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Where did everybody get 500.00 for a membership from?

Nobody did. The $500 I mentioned was for a deposit on a Private Party Reservation...which is a dining reservation for a large private group at the Club that is made by an existing Member.

Silver Memberships are no longer offered to new Members. Here are the current initiation fees and annual dues from several previous posts of mine:

Corporate - $20,000 initiation fee; $5,725 annual plus $4,375 annual per additional card issued (up to a max of 9 additional cards)

Limited Company - $10,000 initiation fee; $4,375 annual (only one cardholder allowed)

Gold (individuals) - $7,500 initiation fee; $3,025 annual

Silver (individuals) - No longer offered as new memberships (they tried this lower priced "restricted membership" level, but didn't like it), though existing Silvers can maintain their Silver membership for $1,925 annually. Or they can bump-up to Gold without re-waitlisting if they want to pay the difference.

D-lander 1956
05-13-2005, 01:16 PM
^^^^^
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: YIKES!

tmshpkns
05-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Is the Club going to look at the books or purpose of a corporate applicant? A partnership isn't allowed, but what if you formed a corporation thats purpose is to manage a membership for the shareholders? Say, 15 shares of stock sold at roughly $1,000 each, and then yearly contributions to capital would be required to cover annual dues. It would cost an extra $800 a year in CA over and above membership dues for franchise taxes, even during the waitlist years, but on the amounts we're talking about that little bit extra to be in compliance with the rules would be worth it. Also, when an individual wants out they'd be able to sell their stock without voiding the entire membership. Obviously, there would need to be guidelines on how reservations would be prioritized and on who would hold the card and make the reservations.

Is the wait list for corporate membership the same as for the individual memberships, or are there a certain number of each type of membership with their own lists?

E-ORLover
05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
What is inculded with a membership? What do you get for the arm and leg that you pay with.

tod
05-13-2005, 04:23 PM
What is inculded with a membership? What do you get for the arm and leg that you pay with.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm011127.htm

--t

Hakuna Makarla
05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
well for your money it sounds cool, to go to disneyland 365 days a year and not have to get tickets or ap;s cool,sounds like some great perks

but what does a meal cost there?

Opus1guy
05-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Is the Club going to look at the books or purpose of a corporate applicant? A partnership isn't allowed, but what if you formed a corporation thats purpose is to manage a membership....

First...I sincerely doubt they'd ever ask to look at your books!

Next...what you are proposing falls more into the category of Corporate, or Limited Company memberships. What they don't like you sharing or co-oping in any way are the Individual memberships.

If you're willing to pay more money for a Corporate or Limited Company membership...they I'm sure you wouldn't have near the resistance as you would attempting to co-op an Individual Gold membership.

You don't need to go to all that trouble though really. As long as you have faith in your "partner's" ability to keep their mouths shut and not show-off at the Club by boasting..."Yeah, a group of us all pitched in to buy a membership..."

I'll relate one instance I was aware of where a Member got their wings clipped in such a co-op'd membership relationship. This person had about 5 people that pitched in to "share" an Individual Gold membership. All was fine until one of them had a falling out with the others, and picked up the phone and called the Club to tell them what was going on for those several years. Ouch.

There was another rather infamous case where one guy was selling "interests" in his Individual Club 33 membership to anyone willing to pony up several hundred dollars a year. A "pay me and I make you all the reservations you want" kinda deal. From all accounts he was rather successful and was actually making a tidy profit on his membership. That is until word slipped out and hit the Club about this person's "business." Other members have had their memberships revoked for simply charging a flat "Reservation Fee" to anyone wanting to dine there. Those are extreme cases.

But as long as your participants are discreet and you trust them and know them well and everyone gets their "keep your mouth shut" instructions...I can't imagine anyone having a problem or a real need to form some phony corporation for the purposes of exploiting a Club membership.

I'll repeat...What the Club doesn't know, can't hurt you.

RE: Your question on different waitlists Corporate vs. Individual: No. But as you suspect, Club management can select who they want when they want. And certainly Corporate Members and expand their memberships (up to 9 additionals) on demand at any time without waitlisting. I just posted this earlier this week in another Club 33 thread, but I'll post it again here:

Those estimates are in the current ballpark, but remember that the waitlist length changes from time to time...often with how well (or not well) the economy is doing.

Your speculation about different wait times for Corporate vs. Individual applicants is somewhat correct. However there are no hard and fast rules to the positioning or priority on the membership waitlist. Generally it's first come, first served. Though often a Full Corporate application will indeed get priority. But if the Corporation wants their full compliment of 10 cards issued right away, even they may have to wait a bit.

If you are referred by an existing respected Member, or if you have met the Club management in person and they like you...you can assume that you may find yourself at the top of the list pretty fast. They are certainly able to do whatever they wish in that regards.

And if you are a new Corporate Alliance partner in the Parks...well you can also imagine some waitlist rules being bent for you pretty darn fast!

Just FYI, the following are the current 2005 membership initiation fees and annual dues. Remember that upon acceptance you have to send in a check for your initiation fee AND your first year's dues. So that first year is quite a big nut!

Corporate - $20,000 initiation fee; $5,725 annual plus $4,375 annual per additional card issued (up to a max of 9 additional cards)

Limited Company - $10,000 initiation fee; $4,375 annual (only one cardholder allowed)

Gold (individuals) - $7,500 initiation fee; $3,025 annual

Silver (individuals) - No longer offered as new memberships (they tried this lower priced "restricted membership" level, but didn't like it), though existing Silvers can maintain their Silver membership for $1,925 annually. Or they can bump-up to Gold without re-waitlisting if they want to pay the difference.

Of course, by the time an applicant clears the waitlist, the above initiation fee and dues are likely to be much higher due to inflation.

The basic differences in price between the Company and Individual types has to do with transferability and number of sub-memberships (Corporate Associates) you may have. Corporate memberships are in the name of the company and stay with the company and are reassigned as executives come and go.

Gold and Silver memberships are individual "person specific" memberships, and are non-transferable. When that person dies or quits their membership the membership goes back to the Club to sell as a new membership. Game Over. You can not pass it on to an heir.

If you are wondering what the difference is between Silvers and Golds...it's a bit like the difference between an Annual Pass and a Premium Annual Pass. Silvers have shorter date windows when they can book in advance with day-of-week restrictions, and limited "Guest Reservation" date windows.

To get on the waitlist, you have to write the Club Manager c/o Disneyland and state your interest and wish for membership. When you finally clear the list, you'll be mailed updated info and prices to join.

I knew someone that sent in his application and 6 years later he cleared the waitlist. Only problem was that at some point during that 6 years, he moved and forgot to notify the Club of his new address! He didn't know that he had cleared the waitlist until after about 8 years of waiting he called the Club and inquired. It's then that he found out they mailed his application 2 years earlier and it was returned! There were no memberships at that time, so he had to go back on the list! But they did give him a top spot and he didn't have to wait too much longer.

Moral of the story if you apply for membership? Don't forget to notify them of any Change Of Address!