PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's third park ?

msep003
01-22-2002, 10:10 PM
hi everyone , i'd like to know if Disneyland Resort decide to begin the construction of the third park , where this park will be ?

thanks in advance Louisgab

Morrigoon
01-22-2002, 10:34 PM
No they have not... they're still in the planning stages (we're all keeping our fingers crossed that no one makes a lunatic suggestion like: Let's build a theme park about LA...IN LA! But our hopes of getting a DisneySea are slim too....

It'll be on the site of the Fushjiye (sp?) strawberry farm.... I think its the field across Harbor from the Hilton.

JoeCanadian
01-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Here's a crazy idea, how about spending all that money on improving what they already have? God knows Disneyland needs some renovations and better rides than The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I'd be rooting for our own Journey to the Center of the Earth. They could even use the money to make a non-bastardized version of The Tower of Terror.

coronamouseman
01-23-2002, 04:16 PM
The "Strawberry Fields (Forever?)" site is on Harbor Blvd just south of Katella - it's on the opposite side of the street from the Marriott/Hilton hotels complex.

The site is bounded on two sides by residential housing - it might be sticky getting the proper zoning for a park. How many people want a roller coaster in their backyard? (Yeah - I know - some of you out there do!)

The site is legendary in the amount of negotiating that went on between the original owner (a Japanese farmer) and Disney over the years. However, once the farmer died his wife and kids happily sold the land to Disney and walked off with millions of dollars each.

innerSpaceman
01-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Ok, how about a park called Disney's Strawberry Fields Forever themed to the music of The Beatles?

Not Afraid
01-23-2002, 04:51 PM
The last information I read about future development was here. (http://www.thirdthemepark.com/)

coronamouseman
01-23-2002, 08:04 PM
NA: Nice site - in fact, you can see "Strawberry Fields" in the distance if you look diagonally across the Harbor/Katella intersection away from DLR.

The Before/After shots are interesting, because they show the primary focus of the development - strictly money for Disney. Note all other businesses as being displaced in favor of Disney offerings or landscaping/walkways designed to pull visitors into the DLR.

Imagine this same situation now occuring over on Harbor between Katella and Orangewood, maybe on to Chapman Ave to the south. That's moving a lot more businesses and planting a lot more palm trees. That's a lot more money ponied up from Anaheim and California to fix the roads, sewers and utilities.

That's a lot to ask from a neighbor who has not yet seen any fruit from the money trees they planted (at their cost) to help Disney build DLR (including white elephant DCA).

This time around, Disney is going to have to show that they will deliver the goods before they will be able to convince Anaheim and California that more money should be invested into a Disney dream.

Morrigoon
01-23-2002, 08:40 PM
The way I understood it, the family was not at all happy about selling to Disney, and even blames Disney for stressing out the father and in that way contributing to his demise.

coronamouseman
01-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Morrigoon:

My understanding was that the family was only too happy to sell once the father died off - he claimed he wanted his children to have the land to continue to farm it, but I believe as soon as he was gone they sold it for $50M+, a figure which was the result of their father's steadfast refusal to sell to Disney over the years and Disney's continuing to up the ante over the years......

Hey - this kind of thing is exactly what legends are made of - lots of ways to interpret a singular event!

mad4mky
01-24-2002, 05:13 PM
And here's how we heard it...it's more along Morrigoon's idea.

When the old farmer died, Disney approached the family to buy the land. They offered a certain amount of money. The oldest son of the family said...when you offer "x" amount of dollars come back. It took like 5 or so years before Disney finally came back and offered "x" amount of dollars. Then they sold.

coronamouseman
01-24-2002, 06:48 PM
The whole story of the "gentleman farmer" who played "David" to Disney's "Goliath" played out over a period of over 20 years or more. Starting in the late 1970's Disney made almost yearly offers for the land and always the farmer replied that he wanted to leave the land to his children. There were plenty of local news reports on how the man was astutely manuevering Disney so as to get the best price but the overall opinion of the Orange County community was that the farmer was truly genuine in his desire to leave the land to his heirs and had no other agenda.
Additionally, those opposing the rampant growth in Orange County in the 1980s-1990s saw this man as a symbol of the good life in Orange County that was beginning to disappear under the concrete structures of the Segerstrom, Irvine and Disney Companies.

So, when he finally died, it is not surprising that his offspring turned around and sold the property for the ungodly sum they did because that is what most every other landowner in Orange County has done in the last quarter of a century.

But it is also not surprising that many of us who grew up in Orange County in the 1970s-1990s would view this as a sad commentary on the sale of one of the last working strawberry farms or orange groves in the county and as sadly ironic that the farmer's heirs would prosper not from the value of working the land which their father had fought so hard to keep but rather from the sale of that proud legacy.

Nigel2
01-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Wait... so the kids of the farmer were the Japaneese buisnessmen that they (the news stations) said sold the land to disney for an undisclosed amount? Oh well, it still probably wasn't holding out because "daddy would have wanted us to keep the farm":)