PDA

View Full Version : APs: renew or buy new ones?

skoolpsyk
05-11-2005, 07:01 PM
(also posted on MC)

Here's the story. Our DAPs expire on July 15th. We know we can renew 30 days ahead which would be June 15th.
Our next trip is May 19th/20th and again on June 10th/11th. (June 10th is blacked out but we will be there for a conference at GCH)

Our question is, should we continue to use our APs and renew them by mail? Would they renew them earlier at the park?

Or should we buy new ones on either of our next two trips, knowing we will be giving up a little more than a month before they expire.

Now why would we do such a thing, you ask? Well, since we wouldn't be using them between June 11th and July 15th when they expire, it's no dramatic loss.
Our concern is price increase. We had heard that the AP prices usually are increased before the summer season. If we bought new ones now, we would get them at the current price and then next year we could also renew again before the next price increase (hopefully).

Does this make sense?

I would love to hear any comments on this! On which trip should we buy them? If we waited until June 12th we could purchase a ticket on a blackout day and then get into the park to upgrade, but would the prices already have increased by then? Or should we just buy new ones next week, or should we just quit worrying since it's only money?! (sorry can't do that, I will be taking a 50% cut in pay in a couple months)

Thanks so much!

Mermaid
05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Well, when are you going after July 15th, if you are not going until say August, then you are really losing two months by buying in June. By buying in June I think you will lose the renewal discount- which is I think $10, I'm sure someone here will correct ,e if that's wrong!! But... if you wait until July or your next trip thereafter, you do run the risk of them going up. I think in the past, they have announced the price change ahead of time so you would have a little forewarning which would help in your situtaion. Hmmm... guess I wasn't much help. Darkbeer seems to know what is best with all things AP! We'll have to wait for him!

skoolpsyk
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Yea, I was hoping Darkbeer would chime in! Hmm, I didn't know about any renewal discount...
I have just heard many rumors that the price increases this year could be very significant due to the 50th...

Disneyfun
05-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I think Last years Increase was already significant. I use to pay just a little more the $60 for the delux compared to the one below. Now it is $120 more!
I think the jump was close to $100 more than last year. I know I paid around $220 maybe $240 for the delux and now it is $329.00
If they go up again much more than this will be my last AP :crying:

skoolpsyk
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
I think you are pricing the Premium not the Delux (or else you are trying to give me a heart attack!)

Leap for Joy
05-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I searched for Darkbeer's AP math and found this
renew or expire (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28395)
It's from a year ago but it's explained well enough that you can follow the logic through.

Disneyfun
05-12-2005, 05:26 AM
I think you are pricing the Premium not the Delux (or else you are trying to give me a heart attack!)
Yes the Premium which yse to be by the time you added in the parking to the delux you might as well just get the Premium. NOw You have to stop and think will I really use that much in discounts. I have had a Premium (Or I should say the top ap for * years now. Would like to continue but may have to stop!

Animalia
05-12-2005, 05:50 AM
My sister just renewed her AP this month. I would have to double check with her but I believe her renewal notice said that if she renewed by mail she would receive the special 50th Anniversary AP card with Tinkerbell and the castle on it but if she renewed in person she would receive the basic look with Goofy on the card. She went with the special look and renewed by mail. So you may want to consider if you want the special 50th card which I think would require you to renew before your current card expires or the standard Goofy card.
As far as the rate, after a long absence I returned to the dark side ;) and renewed my old AP last October. Unfortunatly it was just after they'd increased the rate. I don't know that they would increase it again so soon.

skoolpsyk
05-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Leap for Joy, thanks for that link, it was very helpful. I think Darkbeer was talking about whether it is better to wait until after it expires to get a new one (depending on when your next trip is). I hadn't even thought that far in advance! I'm so jazzed about next week!
I guess it all comes down to if you believe the doomsayers or not. There are still those that swear that DL wants to decrease the numbers of AP holders and so far the price increases have not been big enough to do so. So they are saying that with the 50th additions, they can justify realllly jacking up the price and if it lowers the AP numbers good and if we all still buy them, that's good too.
For those that have had them for years, is it true that they usually raise them before the summer season, or is it more random?

Also, has anyone ever tried to renew them before 30days? Is that a written in stone number? How soon has anyone sent in theirs in the mail or done it at the park?