PDA

View Full Version : "Disney Loses 1st Round in Pooh Battle" - National Post

JoeCanadian
01-21-2002, 03:43 PM
"A small family-owned firm has won an early victory over an entertainment giant, after a California judge found the Walt Disney Co. guilty of destroying key evidence in an 11-year legal wrangle over who owns Winnie the Pooh..."
More Pooh... (http://http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20020121/1191459.html&qs=disney%20pooh)

What surprised me was how they claimed Winnie outsells Mickey. Wow.

JoeCanadian
01-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Well, looks like my link doesn't work. Here's the URL again for the news story:

Click Me! (http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20020121/1191459.html&qs=disney%20%20pooh)

Ace
01-22-2002, 07:47 PM
could this affect the new Pooh ride?

donkthemagicllama
01-23-2002, 08:49 AM
Sounds like they just want money (a lot of money) and not control, so I don't think it will affect any of Disney's planned attractions. However, if they get $200M as the article claims they are seeking, it would have a pretty profound effect on Disney's bottom line. This could impact all of Disney's operations.

Since it seems they're just after money, my guess is they'll settle out of court for a much lower sum.

Lani
01-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JoeCanadian
What surprised me was how they claimed Winnie outsells Mickey. Wow. Considering Disney regularly releases Pooh-related feature-length movies, this doesn't surprise me at all. I believe Pooh surpassed Mickey in 1996, after the second release of "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh."

Mouse
01-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Good point Lani

I have also heard supervizors of mine mention how Pooh out sells Mickey. He is definatly in as high of demand to meet (at DL) as Mickey...You'ld be able to tell if you ever saw Pooh characters and Fab Five characters together in Town Square. Pooh characters will almost always have a bigger mob...er crowd.

Nigel2
01-23-2002, 09:40 PM
That and most disney store adult apparel is pooh themed. Even if this did have a temporary effect on the new ride odds are they would keep building until the courts ordered them to stop. But yeah as said above it just seems like they want money.

Gemini Cricket
01-23-2002, 10:51 PM
I just thought of something...
No Pooh rights...
No Pooh Ride!
Country Bears Return!
Yay!
:D

Nigel2
01-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Survey says ::BUZZZZ:: I am sorry you loose the washer, dryer, car, and you favoirte organ which you noted on the entry survey.:D

It would cost a whole lot more if they lost the rights instead of buying them back since there is all that stuff and also 2 pooh attractions already built.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-24-2002, 09:29 AM
This seems like an awful lot of Pooh being thrown around :D

And Nigel2, what the blazes are you talking about?:confused:

Nigel2
01-24-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
This seems like an awful lot of Pooh being thrown around :D

And Nigel2, what the blazes are you talking about?:confused:

Shhhhh you need a decoder to understand.