PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of Hollywood and Dine

Pages : [1] 2

GrimGrinninGhost
05-11-2005, 06:40 AM
The show building for Hollywood and Dine at DCA is a waste of space. I would like some opnions of what they should do with the building if they ever decide to. I think they should tear some of it down and build "The Great Movie Ride" which is over at MGM in Florida. It fits perfectly into the whole Hollywoof Backlot area..Would love some input

sdfilmcritic
05-11-2005, 06:41 AM
It's probably another convention rental piece like all the other empty buildings in DCA.

stinkerbell
05-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I've never seen it open. I'd love to see something productive there......

Mukta
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I've never seen it open. I'd love to see something productive there......

I used to really like it when it was open. It was a large food court with many different types of food. It was really good for a group of people with different tastes. I miss the Hollywood Area from the park's early days.

cstephens
05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
The show building for Hollywood and Dine at DCA is a waste of space. I would like some opnions of what they should do with the building if they ever decide to.

How about putting some *good* food in there this time? The Hollywood Backlot area could do with more food service than just the hot dog place.

MrsG
05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
How about putting some *good* food in there this time? The Hollywood Backlot area could do with more food service than just the hot dog place.
Yes!! I do love Award Weiners, but a "nice" restaurant would be good. Though, I think the building should be used for an attraction of some sort. Please.... NOT another show!

Darkbeer
05-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I can confirm that it is assigned to event services, which handles private events.

You can see the banquet tables set up in the area on occasion, and I did attend an event held inside the building last July.

disneygurl92
05-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I agree the show building is justa waste of space. I kinda wish that we would have the "Great Movie Ride" or "Rockin Roller Coaster" put in, but I already asked some people their opinion and they all agreed that they don't want another WDW attraction brought to CA.

oregontraveler
05-11-2005, 12:06 PM
It may have come from WDW, but if they re-themed for more dining. I would love to see the Sci-Fi Drive-In theater with the Beach Blanket movies playing in the background, play up the Hollywood & surfing theme.

Drince88
05-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Yes!! I do love Award Weiners, but a "nice" restaurant would be good. Though, I think the building should be used for an attraction of some sort. Please.... NOT another show!
You mean like Soap Opera Bistro?

Mukta
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM

Exactly! I miss that place so much. There might not have been a huge audience for that place, but I was a big fan.

SoCalDude
05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I miss the Hollywood Area from the park's early days.

LOL - I know it was not that long ago.. but still makes us all sound like old timers!

Disney Vault
05-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I miss the Hollywood Area from the park's early days.
Not me. That was one of the worste parts of the park for me. I remember going into that area and doing nothing. I think the Backlot is way better then it was. These are things that are better now- Monsters inc, ToT, Aladdin. And Play House Disney offers something for little ones even though I personally don't enjoy it but I feel it is a nice addition to the park for others.

MrsG
05-11-2005, 04:01 PM
And Play House Disney offers something for little ones even though I personally don't enjoy it but I feel it is a nice addition to the park for others.
Never been in it. Don't plan on ever seeing this just-for-kids show.

mystycalchyk
05-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Its actually quite cute. We had never thought to go in till we took the nice and nephew. We quite enjoyed it.

Disney Vault
05-11-2005, 06:20 PM
I can see where you are coming from but DCA doesn't have enough for kids so this was a nice addition.

PirateSmile
05-11-2005, 06:55 PM

How was that place? We were gonna eat there but when we arrived it was gone.

pirateabbie
05-11-2005, 07:05 PM

If you watch any ABC soap and/or really like audience participation dinner theatre, you would have loved it. As I am a devoted All My Children fan and am a sucker for any sort of audience participation I simply adored it. The food was pretty good too. I can easily understand, however, that others may have found it a little strange or unappealing.

sleepyjeff
05-11-2005, 08:04 PM
That spot would be great for a SkyWay terminal to Tomorrowland :cool:

animagusurreal
05-12-2005, 12:09 AM
If you watch any ABC soap and/or really like audience participation dinner theatre, you would have loved it. As I am a devoted All My Children fan and am a sucker for any sort of audience participation I simply adored it. The food was pretty good too. I can easily understand, however, that others may have found it a little strange or unappealing.

I didn't know it was dinner theatre, thought they would have just had TV's set up in there showing soaps. What sort of a show was it? Did they have actors playing the soap characters?

BTW, I think, (half-jokingly,) that "Erica Kane's Emotional Roller Coaster" could be a good ride concept for DCA :)

pirateabbie
05-12-2005, 05:39 AM
I didn't know it was dinner theatre, thought they would have just had TV's set up in there showing soaps. What sort of a show was it? Did they have actors playing the soap characters?

Small groups of actors roamed the restaurant and acted out generic soap opera scenes. At each table they would interact with the diners making them a part of the scene. ("It's my long-lost twin sister! I thought you were dead even though they never found your body after you fell off the Matterhorn after you remarried your third husband who was really your evil psychiatrist.") It was great!

BTW, I think, (half-jokingly,) that "Erica Kane's Emotional Roller Coaster" could be a good ride concept for DCA :)

That's great idea! It might be a little too scary for Disneyland though. LOL

sdfilmcritic
05-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Small groups of actors roamed the restaurant and acted out generic soap opera scenes. At each table they would interact with the diners making them a part of the scene. ("It's my long-lost twin sister! I thought you were dead even though they never found your body after you fell off the Matterhorn after you remarried your third husband who was really your evil psychiatrist.") It was great!I'm not a huge soap opera fan, but I've always wanted to go there to eat just for the heck of it. I remember watching an episode of Live with Regis and Kelly when Kelly went "undercover" as a waitress who impersonates Kelly's character from whatever soap opera she worked on. It was funny seeing some of the reactions from the guests. I wish Disney would have more dinner theater style restaurants at DLR. I know there's the drive in themed restaurant at WDW where the servers interact with the movie screen and what not. DLR has none of those type restaurants and I think it would be great to have those around.

cstephens
05-12-2005, 07:50 AM

*sigh* Soap Opera Bistro breakfast *double sigh*

Mukta
05-12-2005, 08:43 AM

You also got seated in sets from ABC soaps. I actually ate dinner in Adam Chandler's dining room. It was so cool. The items on the menu all had clever soap names. As pirateabbie said, actors roamed around acting out exaggerated soap stories. The food was really good also.

cstephens
05-12-2005, 09:39 AM
You also got seated in sets from ABC soaps. I actually ate dinner in Adam Chandler's dining room.

:geek: Actually, it's the Chandler mansion living room, not the dining room. They just set up tables in the living room. The room was decorated for Christmas, so there was a Christmas tree with presents underneath and other Christmas touches everywhere. There was a fireplace, and scattered around the room was a picture of Liza and a picture of Hayley and Mateo, I think. There was also the grand staircase to the upper floor(s) of the Chandler mansion.

The other sets were Kelly's Diner from General Hospital, the docks from GH/Port Charles, Luke's nightclub from GH, the nurses' station from GH, the Buchanan stables from One Life to Live, and the country club from OLTL. :geek: