PDA

View Full Version : Best time to go

jschein
05-10-2005, 07:03 PM
I need to know the best time to go to Disneyland with the following criteria in order of importance:

1 -- SMALL CROWDS, relatively speaking
2 -- Good weather
3 -- Attractions open

We have to go quite a distance to get to Disneyland, so we only make it once every 2-3 years. We've typically gone in the 3rd week of October, which has been great for small crowds, but not so good for the other two criteria. (In the last three trips we've yet to see the Matahorn open.) Will the 50th celebration change crowds during the off-season?

Just looking for people's opinions. Thanks in advance.

kisroo
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
September? meets 2 of the 3 criteria I think.

I still think you'll run into Rehabs though. You pretty much give up crowds for the probability that some/many rides may be closed.

I've also gone in late April-early May. Nice time.

They say Jan-Pres. Day (Feb) is good as well...but not such great weather.

~kisroo:)

pirateabbie
05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I've always had good luck going in October. One big attraction is usually closed but it's a very small price to pay for small crowds and fabulous weather.

stan4d_steph
05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Early December.

GrumpyUTboi
05-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Since POTC is going to be closed for Halloween we changed our plans and it hurts to do so, but we really love POTC. Halloween they bring out the Villians and such. My kids really had a good time getting pictures with all of them. But we have changed our plans to leave a month earlier. The last week of Sept, that way we get to ride POTC and the HM. :crying:

Mukta
05-11-2005, 07:45 AM
I find that early December is the best time to go. All of the attractions are open and decorated for the holidays. The crowds are minimal because most people go during the last 2 weeks of December. The weather has been unpredictable this year, but usually it is not a problem. The park hours are shorter, but since the crowds are so small, it doesn't matter too much.

vmjess
05-11-2005, 07:53 AM
We usually go in October but are going this year at the end of September so we can be there for the few days that both HM and POTC are open- HM is closed until late Sept and POTC closes in early Oct. We love going this time of the year- the crowds are small and the weather is beautiful. I take the kids out of school for a week to go- some people don't agree with this but I feel that quality family time and life experinces are just as important as school. :D

hlbtimes2
05-11-2005, 09:01 AM
We really enjoy going in Oct and Feb. We went in early Dec one year. I didnt know about the candlelight thing until after I booked. It was very crowded that weekend. I wont go during the summer months. Its crowded and too hot. You have a good chance of rides all being open in the summer, but I hate the lines. I would rather give up a ride or two to rehab then stand in long hot lines.

This years trip is in Oct.

stinkerbell
05-11-2005, 09:14 AM
We've gone in mid-October three times now and have always had fabulous luck with the weather (gorgeous, not too hot) and the only rides that were closed were Space Mtn. and once the Matterhorn. We love the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff, so it's always been a priority for us. We wouldn't go if that wasn't up.

I DO have to say that the time we went during the World Series was the most crowded I've ever seen DLR, so that was a funky October visit.....not well-planned on my part. ;)

We've also been the week after Thanksgiving and the weather held up, crowds were low, and though the hours were shorter, we still managed to do it all, since there were no crowds. This year, we'll be there Dec. 9-14....unless that's Candlelight weekend. Then we'll have to change things a bit. :(

We've also been in late February/early March and MANY rides were closed, plus it rained here and there. When it rained, though, the place was a ghost town and we had Disneyland to ourselves.

jschein
05-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions.

For those of you that mentioned going in the last week of September/first week of October, it appears that the first weekend in October is the Gay Days event at Disneyland. Disregarding any potential moral opposition to the concept, my understanding is that the crowds during this event are pretty bad. Any thoughts?

The old man
05-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Since POTC is going to be closed for Halloween...
Is this confirmed?
David