PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity. Haunted Mansion & Indy [myths]

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Show Member
05-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Just out of couriosity, how many people think the ghosts in the ballroom of the haunted mansion are holograms? Also, how many people believe you're backing up during the boulder finale of indiana jones?

SallySkellington
05-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Just out of couriosity, how many people think the ghosts in the ballroom of the haunted mansion are holograms? Also, how many people believe you're backing up during the boulder finale of indiana jones?I don't believe either because I know the truth behind the illusions. :cool:

adriennek
05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
On this board? Probably not many.

Adrienen

Disney Show Member
05-10-2005, 03:56 PM
On this board? Probably not many.

Adrienen

thats wut i thought. I hear guests talking about holograms in the ballroom and just lighting effects in the boulder finale and i'm just like...ohh how wrong u r. Lol

tinkluver
05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't believe either because I know the truth behind the illusions.
Me too :D

SarahJanet
05-10-2005, 04:23 PM
So what is the truth, then?

Disneyfun
05-10-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't believe either because I know the truth behind the illusions. :cool:
Ditto!

wriley
05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
There is a screen in the room, you can see it, its just like the one in the grave that they shine a light on to make the ghosts fly. They above and below you are actuall models of the ghosts you see, when they light them up then you see them.

Indy you pull into boulder room, stop, jeep shakes and makes you feel you backing up, then boulder rolls and you go to next room.

SilverStyle
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
There is a screen in the room, you can see it, its just like the one in the grave that they shine a light on to make the ghosts fly. They above and below you are actuall models of the ghosts you see, when they light them up then you see them.

Indy you pull into boulder room, stop, jeep shakes and makes you feel you backing up, then boulder rolls and you go to next room.

Not sure of Mansion, I was hoping to go on a walkthrough but the spaces filled up.

As for indy, the jeep comes to a stop the entire room moves foward including the walls. The Jeep simulates the rocking and then u just head down. I was pretty amazed to see this,when I went on the walkthrough. However even when I ride still I cant tell the diff

pretty Omi
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
how do you guys get to go on walk throughs?

knightsdir
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM

As a former cm I can say you are close, but not quite.

sdfilmcritic
05-10-2005, 11:02 PM
I know for a fact that the walls in Indy's boulder scene are moving and not the vehicle itself. If the vehicle backs up then the ride would be sent into failure mode and the ride will shut down.

The ghosts in HM are reflections off a glass and mirror.

Disney Acrobat
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM

for haunted mansion its not a screen but a glass window only about 5 feet from where you sit...try to through something down into the ball room...it will bounce off the glass...i tryed it before, i guess its just a very clean window. i was shocked when my chip came bouncing back at me. i expected it to fall into the room

SilverStyle
05-10-2005, 11:13 PM
how do you guys get to go on walk throughs?

rewards for us. Perks of being a CM

sdfilmcritic
05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
try to through something down into the ball room...it will bounce off the glass...i tryed it before, i guess its just a very clean window. i was shocked when my chip came bouncing back at me. i expected it to fall into the roomA guest tried that once with a bullet from a gun. Didn't go over too well. The glass cracked. Now there's a giant spider covering the bullet hole and a cobweb to cover the cracked area.

Disney Show Member
05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
for haunted mansion its not a screen but a glass window only about 5 feet from where you sit...try to through something down into the ball room...it will bounce off the glass...i tryed it before, i guess its just a very clean window. i was shocked when my chip came bouncing back at me. i expected it to fall into the room

Yup, there is a big glass screen in front of u, as well as the cracked spider hole there. This reflection thing works cuz the ghosts are either above u, or below u. Ever notice there are no ghosts in the room eye level to u? Thats y. The only "ghosts" eyelevel to u are the ones flying out of the organ at the end. But u turn around the corner before u get there, so the ghosts for that are behind that wall. Shine a light on yourself and it will appear that you're in the room as well as u pass.

And just like everyone else has said on Indy, the entire boulder cave moves away from u to give the feeling of going backwards. If u sit on the edge of the jeep and look at the ground, u can watch the "wall" move forward. Also if u look behind u when your "backing up" u can actually see u arent going anywhere. Anyone remember that there are actually FIVE doors in the hall of promise, not just 3?

stan4d_steph
05-11-2005, 05:43 AM
for haunted mansion its not a screen but a glass window only about 5 feet from where you sit...try to through something down into the ball room...it will bounce off the glass...i tryed it before, i guess its just a very clean window. i was shocked when my chip came bouncing back at me. i expected it to fall into the roomBad form. What made you think that throwing something was the way to figure out the illusion? :rolleyes: Do NOT throw things while riding attractions. Ever.

sdfilmcritic
05-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Bad form. What made you think that throwing something was the way to figure out the illusion? :rolleyes: Do NOT throw things while riding attractions. Ever.And the most important note of all -- No Flash Photography!

CONNCR
05-11-2005, 06:31 AM
I was on the floor laughing when I heard some teanagers admiring the "hologram" used for the buzz lightyear face on the AA figure. It seems that any light projection or reflection system is know as a "hologram"!

sdfilmcritic
05-11-2005, 06:35 AM
I was on the floor laughing when I heard some teanagers admiring the "hologram" used for the buzz lightyear face on the AA figure. It seems that any light projection or reflection system is know as a "hologram"!But didn't you know that everything is a hologram? :p

SummerinFL
05-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Do they use the same thing for WDW's HM? I was just curious. :)

drjones
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
The HM ballroom effect is known as Pepper's Ghost. Named after Scientist John Henry Pepper sometime in the 1800's this is the same effect that you see at night if you are in your car and you turn on the cab lights, you can still see outside but you can also you your own reflection. turn out the lights, your reflection goes away. On a side note, I actually used a life size Pepper's Ghost illusion last Halloween for my own Haunted house. The biggest compliment, for me, was when passing guests marveled at how it was done, and that the people that made the Effect "must work for Disney"....
I was beaming with pride...

drjones
05-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh Yeah, I wish I could have had photos for you all, but I am not a good photographer and none of the effects came out properly this is the static prop. Guess where the influence came from?

Ok I can't post the pic? can anyone help?

Disneynerd
05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
The HM ballroom effect is known as Pepper's Ghost. Named after Scientist John Henry Pepper sometime in the 1800's this is the same effect that you see at night if you are in your car and you turn on the cab lights, you can still see outside but you can also you your own reflection. turn out the lights, your reflection goes away. On a side note, I actually used a life size Pepper's Ghost illusion last Halloween for my own Haunted house. The biggest compliment, for me, was when passing guests marveled at how it was done, and that the people that made the Effect "must work for Disney"....
I was beaming with pride...drjones, this is a great way to describe it, thank you. I must admit that I didn't know how either effects were "imagined". I call everything that looks "ghosty" at Disney a hologram. Little did I know that people were covering their mouthes and giggling at me behind my back :) .
Congats on your Halloween display compliments. Thanks again for the info, I'll be sure to bore my husband with it the next time we go to DL. He'll get kick out my ultra-nerdiness.

justlittleoldme
05-11-2005, 12:04 PM
If you like the haunted mansion, try: www.doombuggies.com. It has all the secrets on there. If you don't want to know, don't go to the site. It is really cool though, I never noticed how much thought went into the ride.