PDA

View Full Version : DL lesson learned

Doodle Duck
05-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Just by chance...and for the FIRST time, I happened to look on the tiny board announcing the performances at the band stand yesterday. I can only wonder at what I have missed out on all these years.

Here's what you missed yesterday...

All the way from Bejing China for this performance!...the Primary School Concert Orchestra ...the Show Choir (fantastic!) and a Dance troupe (missed that one).. The Choir performance was pure charm and beautifully presented...all in Chinese of course except for It's A Small World which was a delight to hear Live.

Here's the sad part...except for a few 'handlers' and Lori and I, there may have been 9 or 10 others in the seats for this rare treat.

Can you imagine the excitiement and build up for these kids coming all that way only to have nearly no one in the audience? They didn't even get the chance to see the fireworks as their plane left for China last night.

Anyway Lesson Learned! Check that board! While I can pass on some Cheerleaders from Iowa (sorry) I can just imagine what neat stuff we've missed and performers who were disappointed because no one came except moms and chaparones.

Doug

nursemelis374
05-10-2005, 09:03 AM
That is sad for them that nobody came to hear them! I bet that would have been neat.

blueckles
05-10-2005, 09:08 AM
That IS sad. It sounds like it would have been really neat to hear and watch. Thanks for the tip. I'll check the board next time.

sdfilmcritic
05-10-2005, 02:02 PM
What "board" are you referring to?

itig
05-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Poor kids...that is sad. Hopefully they still had a chance to have some fun on the trip.

Doodle Duck
05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
They were able to tour for a few days prior...I think the 'handlers' took them to Las Vegas (!!!) but NOT to perform and I did get out of one of them through complex sign language and limited English etc. that they did visit San Diego and realy liked it (Bee-oo-ti-fool Ci-tee)...but I think the purpose of the trip being 'on stage' at DL, wasn't what they expected and they didn't have much time to go on rides and stuff. One would think there could be announcements made over the P.A. that would alert the 'guests' to the entertainment offered... maybe 10 minutes prior.

Understand...these were kids about 9 or 10 and I doubt if coming from a Communist nation that Vegas had the proper effect...hahaha...just an affirmation of their indoctrination...though Disneyland could have made a difference in their lives....and maybe will still...they could be future CMs in Hong Kong. :)

SDfilmcritic: There is a tiny board just outside the bandstand area with a typed sheet of that days performances of visiting groups. I use the term 'board' loosely.

TP2000
05-10-2005, 05:03 PM
I really would have liked to have seen the children's choir from China. 95% of the time the school bands and ensembles that play on that stage offer the type of performance that only a parent could appreciate.

And then there are a few of the performances there that border on the terrifying.

I walked through the Plaza Gardens this weekend and saw a dance troupe of little American girls aged 7 to 10 from Southern California. They were tarted up in heavy makeup, sequins and feathers, and quite frankly they looked like streetwalkers. They were doing a modified bump and grind routine to some girly pop song, and it was really quite horrifying to watch.

If it makes anyone feel any better after the slim crowds for the Chinese children, the only people watching this tacky dance group were about a dozen desperate housewives and a couple of dorky dads who didn't seem to care that their little girls looked like harlots at Disneyland.

MsYumiBr
05-10-2005, 05:45 PM
I walked through the Plaza Gardens this weekend and saw a dance troupe of little American girls aged 7 to 10 from Southern California.

[Derail] Just curious, do you know what part of SoCal these kids are from?[End Derail] (No PM or e-mail allowed to TP2000)