PDA

View Full Version : Disney University???

BELLEH5
01-21-2002, 12:09 PM
I just finshed reading "MORE MOUSE TALES" and the forward is by Van Arsdale France who is the founder and Professor of the Disney University. So what is Disney U? and is there some kind of Disney college that young Disney fans can attend their dream school, besides the stupid programs they provide on the Disney Career page! Thank you

Hades
01-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Disney U is where fledgeling Cast Members go to learn the basics of working at "The Happiest Place On Earth". This is where we learn the "Disney Touch" and get to know that "The Magic Begins With You!", and all that. It's also where we are given the guidelines about "The Disney Look". :D

To put it in simpler terms, It's Mickey's version of basic training!;) New CM's usually attend classes for 2 days, and are taken on walking tours of the different locations of the Resort, so they can get an idea of where they will be working. There is a multimedia presentation that covers all the above mentioned topics and a background history of Walt Disney and Disneyland.

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject for ya!:cool:

bluepearl
01-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks for that info, Hades! I'm hoping that I get a tour around both parks when I start training on Saturday! Would you know if there are any dress restrictions for training sessions?

tabacco
01-21-2002, 10:23 PM
It's called "business casual" -- I know for guys it's basically a nice shirt, long pants, and decent shoes (read: not sandals... they're okay with tennis shoes if they're clean). I'm throughly fashion-unconscious (I generally dress in t-shirt, shorts, and Tevas), so I have no idea what that translates into for women. I'd say pretty much dress like you were going to a relaxed jobinterview or something like that. And wear something comfortable. You're gonna have to sit for 8 hours int he TDA auditorium for resort orientation :)

for the subsequent training days, same dress code, but make sure to wear shoes you're comfortable doing some walking in.

bluepearl
01-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that information, tabacco. I generally dress in khakis or jeans and a T-shirt, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to rummage through my closet or borrow something from someone! And I'm going to have to remember to ask where to go Saturday morning because I was only given a time to show up!

tabacco
01-21-2002, 11:02 PM
Khakis are good, I think, but not jeans.

I can tell you where to go, actually, if it's for resort orientation -- whatever they're calling it this week. Taking Ball west, turn left into Cast Place (or right if you're headed east on Ball). I think that what with the parking arms on the TDA structure you have to park in the guest lot. That means a left almost immediately after you turn onto Cast Pl. -- You'll see a sign for visitor parking. From there just pick a spot and walk on over to TDA. Make a right when you come to the rope barrier and you'll be at casting. The auditorium's right there (It's actually the chunk of the building that sits between the casting lobby and the parking lot)

You've probably been here before when you applied, but just in case, there you go :)

Morrigoon
01-22-2002, 12:45 AM
Good luck finding a parking space ;)

tabacco
01-22-2002, 12:48 AM
I never had a problem in that lot, even after the parking arms went in. The far spaces were always pretty vacant.

When I went to orientation, they had us park in the structure, but that was pre-arms. I have no idea how they work it now.

bluepearl
01-22-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks for that info, Tabacco! I'm going to be filling out paperwork tomorrow so I'm going to take a look around and double-check so I know where I'm going Saturday. The only thing that's bothering me is having to wake up at 6:30 and leaving by at least 7:30 to get there by 8:30!

ripplededge
01-22-2002, 01:42 PM
tabacco:
"I think that what with the parking arms on the TDA structure you have to park in the guest lot."

Actually the TDA west arm should be up... the arm right next to ball gate. It is usually raised around 0530 on the weekends.
The north arm might be up... I believe it was up last week.
The orientation should be good this week. They claim to have 200 people.

bluepearl:
"The only thing that's bothering me is having to wake up at 6:30 and leaving by at least 7:30 to get there by 8:30!"

OMG, I am so used to getting up at 3am for work that starting school again is killing me. I hate to wake up anytime past 8am.

Oh, bluepearl, if you see LESLIE, a Disney University Leader, tell her: "your security little brother says hi." =)

tabacco
01-22-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm 99% certain the leader of a University class I took ("Serving the Diverse Guest" I think) was Leslie... could you describe her?

bluepearl
01-22-2002, 04:51 PM
ripplededge: Are you kidding me?! :eek: I have a class at 8AM in the morning - I have to get up at 6:45AM and leave by at least 7:20 to make it through traffic and parking (I have to say that my campus must be one of the - slightly, in my opinion - lucky UCs where parking isn't a COMPLETE nightmare, a la UCLA). I'm officially not awake or alive until 10AM! And if I see someone named Leslie, I'll be sure to say hi. :)

BELLEH5
01-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Bluepearl-[B] Good luck!!! Let us know all the details. I plan to move down there next year and hopefully land a CM job at DL. But in April I'll be visting DL all by my lonesome. So let me know what Attraction or Land you'll be at and I'll say hello, Congrats :)