PDA

View Full Version : Changes to DLR 50th Special Event

Pages : [1] 2

tmshpkns
05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Hadn't seen anything on this topic here, so I thought I'd bring it up.

The event information on disneygallery.com was amended today to indicate that more packages than were originally stated were sold at the Walt, Roy, and Lillian levels. The amendments also include bolding the phrase:
Please continue to remember that information is subject to change without notice.

After a huge discussion, the owner of another discussion board I'm a member of received this message from Event Services:

We understand that some of you attending the event have expressed concern over the number of Guests allowed for each event package. We would like to inform you that approximately 25 spots were opened up for each event level package (Walt’s Dream, Roy’s Plan and Lillian’s Inspiration), based on demand and family situations in order to provide everyone with an optimal Guest experience.

Many of the concerns expressed are unfounded, however if your unhappiness over our attempt to accommodate a few more Guests continues to be an issue, and you feel you are not receiving the value that you were originally offered, then please feel free to contact Martha Blanding, Manager of Merchandise Special Events at the Disneyland Resort at 714-781-4390.

This contradicts other information obtained by a member of the other site that indicated that the number of Walt and Roy packages had actually been doubled, to 100 each and the Lillian package was increased to 200.

I willl be calling in the morning. As a Lillian package holder I am very upset that there will now be at least 50% more people who are guaranteed entry into the seminars - which means 50% less chance of me getting into the ones I want. Also, the LE event gift will now be a much larger edition size than previously thought, which will certainly change its value. The gift issue is probably of even greater concern to Walt and Roy package holders. Plus, everyone's chances (including Imagineers package) at event merchandise on the RSP has changed.

The bottom line? If it's 25 each - Disney made an additional $111,375. If it's the latter, larger number - it's $230,250. Does anyone believe thie is really about an "optimal Guest experience"?

Tom

AVP
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Does anyone believe thie is really about an "optimal Guest experience"?Yes.

25 additional people per package is about what I had previously heard, and I don't believe I was lied to. I also do not think 75 extra people one way or the other is going to severely impact the event. The overall attendance has now increased from a potential maximum of 990 to a potential maximum of 1065, assuming all of the Imagineer packages sell.

It's unfortunate that this happened, but it seems that Disney was in a no-win situation. From what I've been able to understand, people were able to buy tickets early or buy tickets after the package "sold out," due to a computer glitch that Event Services had no immediate control over.

So either they refund everyone and make people register all over again another day, or they tell people who registered when they should not have been able to, "sorry, you're out of luck," or they fill the orders of the people who were caught in the middle. After coordinating with all of the departments involved, they decided they could fit these people in, and they did so.

I am not going to cancel my tickets because of it. However, I 100% understand why someone may feel differently than do I, and I do not think any less of someone who decides to cancel their package as a result. Perhaps edition sizes of some of the LE merchandise will be adjusted to make more items available. Who knows.

Now, if during or after the event it feels like those extra 75 people caused a strain on the event resources, then I know who to complain to. But there's so little known about this event as it is that I feel like I've already paid $750 for the unknown - what's a little more uncertainty?

AVP

KarenW2
05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Since 75 people were added to the three packages that get the seminars as part of our deal, do you think they will add additional seminars or put the seminars in larger venues, to accomodate the additional 75 people? I really hope it doesn't wreck our chances to get good seminars and chances at the merchandise, since all of this will be handled thru the RSP system. I would hope they would add additional spots/merchandise to cover for this.

We don't plan to cancel our plans at this time, but remember when we signed up for the first Mansion-Nightmare event, when Tim Burton & others were promised, then cancelled. We asked for our money back and we received it. If things turn out that we need to ask to cancel again, I would expect that our requests will be honored this time as well.

KarenW2
05-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm surprised to see they still haven't updated the Itinerary, to include the Space Mountain ride opportunity, listed in the package write-ups, for Walt's, Roy's & Lillian's. If it's now opening to the general public on 7-15, why do they have it listed for the packages as a perk, for 7-17-05?? I would think they would let us ride it on the 15th as well.

Do you think they'll do something special for this, like a lights on version or something? If it opens on 7-15, it won't really be as special, unless they do something different.

tmshpkns
05-10-2005, 07:21 AM
I would think they would let us ride it on the 15th as well.

Remember - the package does not include admission for 7/15 - all of the events that day are at the DLH, not in the park, so riding on the 15th as part of the event is out for sure.

What I heard (and I have no idea how reliable this is) is that Space Mountain will be open to event attendees prior to park opening on 7/17. That makes some sense, since 2 hours for breakfast seems like a really long time. Either that or we'll get a pre-issued fastpass on the morning of 7/17.

I, too would LOVE to get a ride (or evena look at the track) with the lights on.

Tom

cstephens
05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Disneygallery.com has the updated package numbers. From what I remember, it looks like 30 were added to Walt's, 20 were added to Roy's and 60 (?) were added to Lillian's.

I'm not happy about the increased packages, but I understand the dilemma they must have had. I guess I won't know the impact that adding that many more people will have until the event comes around. I think it's hard to say that there won't be a difference at all between the original number of packages and the current number of packages - I just hope the difference is minimal. I'm also hoping that they're doing a lot to fix the registration system so that this doesn't happen again. I don't remember hearing about these kinds of problems in registration for previous events. I'm also hoping that they're really conscious of people, space and timing issues, something that was a huge problem at the Indy event. But the changes aren't enough to make me ask for a refund.

Doombuggies
05-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Disneygallery.com has the updated package numbers. From what I remember, it looks like 30 were added to Walt's, 20 were added to Roy's and 60 (?) were added to Lillian's.

And now their gone. I wonder where they are going to lead us next.

Disneynut1955
05-10-2005, 12:24 PM
My wife and I were excited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Disneyland by attending the merchandise event at the “Walt’s Dream” package level. The website (disneygallery.com) clearly stated that this event package was limited to 50 people. As frequent visitors to Disneyland, my wife and I enjoy these packages as they allow us to participate in once-in-a-lifetime experiences (why else it would be worth $2,000.00 per person) at our favorite vacation destination.

Due to the debacle during registration, which was solely the fault of event services, we were told a “handful” of people would be added to our package. Much to our dismay, we learned today that in Disney speak, “handful” means 30 people. With only 50 original registrants, a full 60% increase over the promised capacity, is not a handful. This event no longer sounds “exclusive” to me. We also learned that a large number of people have also been added to the other three top packages.

We were offered a quote by the “Event Manager” Martha who states “we assure you that it will not effect the overall experience”. How is this possible? Adding 60% more people to our package changes the entire experience, it is simply no longer exclusive. We were given a number of reasons for the change, but the ultimate reality is that they did not anticipate this level of demand. In other words, this boils down to GREED. How could you not anticipate the demand for this event? What about those who paid their hard earned money for an event that is now open to all who have money to spend? Disney will compromise the experience of their guests and long time patrons because they want more money!!!

Of course, Disney is not offering a reduction in price or refunds, but simply offering their standard phrase “please continue to remember that information is subject to change without notice”. Obviously the lawyers at Disney did not properly advise them that the disclaimer does not always hold up in court. A minor change in some of the time or locations of the event would not give cause to seek a refund. The addition of 60% more people to the event boils down to fraudulent inducement.

I would not be as upset if Disney added the additional people and then offered us a chance to back out. Does anyone else share my frustration? I realize that there will be a number of people who think “who cares, a few more people won’t hurt” but this is in fact part of a growing trend with Disney. How many people have bought limited edition merchandise only to see it become an open edition? How many people have bought “event exclusive” merchandise only to see Disney Auctions offer it on Ebay?

I welcome all thoughts or debate -

KTHoover
05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I just got off the phone and I was told that all they did was switch it around a little bit and a few more people were added. I told them what was being said on the different boards and they told me it was not true the amount of people that was added was very few if any for each package deals. I have to say I am not that worried about it although I can understand why you would be. My husband and I to tell you the truth wanted this package deal so we could be in the park at 6:00 a.m. and not have to stand in line for over 5 hours just to get in the park. I wanted it to be a very special day and I didn't want to start if off by having to stand in a 5 hr line just in to get into the park. HOpefully what they told me is true because I was a little bit worried about how it would effect purchasing the merchandise.

Disneynut1955
05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
KTHoover,

Disney flat out LIED to you! This has now turned into a cover our [deleted] situation for them. Go to disneygallery.com and look for yourself. 30 added to the Walt package (a 60% increase), 20 added to the Roy package (a 40% increase) and 60 added to Lillian package (a 43% increase). The fact that they are now LYING makes me even more upset. Makes me want to be the first to file suit!

By the way, call Disney Event Services again. We are being kicked out of the park after breakfast and told to re-enter. This eliminates the reason for your purchase of the package.

cstephens
05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
And now their gone. I wonder where they are going to lead us next.

Not sure what you mean by that. I just went to look again, and if you click on each package, it tells you how many guests are allowed for each package.

Due to the debacle during registration, which was solely the fault of event services

Do we know that's true? I figure it's the fault of whomever didn't test the registration software enough - I don't know that event services handles that themselves.

In other words, this boils down to GREED. How could you not anticipate the demand for this event? What about those who paid their hard earned money for an event that is now open to all who have money to spend?

Actually, I think it boils down to a mistake. Yes, they probably knew a lot of people would want to attend the event. They probably didn't envision that the registration software would be screwed up enough that it would allow people to register for a package that was already sold out or would tell you that you had registered two people but then sent you a confirmation email that you only had one person registered. And while I'm not happy at the additional slots added, I think your statement of "to all who have money to spend" is a gross exaggeration, and presumably, people who got the extra packages are also spending their hard-earned money.

I would not be as upset if Disney added the additional people and then offered us a chance to back out.

Have you asked for a refund and then been denied? Because I expect Disney would probably gladly refund your money and sell your package(s) to someone else.

ETA:

Makes me want to be the first to file suit!

Yes, that's what the courts need, more lawsuits about stupid things.

Have you asked Disney to refund your money and cancel your registration?

Disneynut1955
05-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. I just went to look again, and if you click on each package, it tells you how many guests are allowed for each package. Have you asked for a refund and then been denied? Because I expect Disney would probably gladly refund your money and sell your package(s) to someone else.

Yes, that's what the courts need, more lawsuits about stupid things.

Have you asked Disney to refund your money and cancel your registration?

CS,

Call fraud "stupid" if you want, but it is my money at risk. I did indeed ask for a refund and was told "all packages are non refundable". The number of packages for sale was removed and posted again hours later (the reason for the removal and repost is something I am unsure of).

KarenW2
05-11-2005, 12:55 AM
:eek: Is it really true that they are going to kick us out after our Breakfast at Dawn and make us re-enter??!! :eek: Please, tell me they are NOT serious about this!!

If this is true, I hope people will start calling, writing letters, etc., to whoever is in charge of these kinds of decisions, to hopefully change their minds, if this is really what they want us to do.

Talk about a LOT of VERY unhappy customers!! Especially after we paid as much as we did to get into the event at our levels!!

Is there someone who can verify this for us? Then, if it is so, who do we need to contact, to give them our opinion on this?

KTHoover
05-11-2005, 05:32 AM
I would strongly suggest that everyone who is worried about being kicked out etc., should call. I called again and this time spoke to Martha and I personally am happy with her reason why they extended the packages. As far as being kicked out that is totaly incorrect!! They are not going to kick us out. I would appreciate before someone starts a rumor like that they need to double check that it is correct. Again, it is not correct!!!! I'm sorry but I can't believe that people are this upset about more people being added on to these packages. I personally feel very lucky that we are going to this event I don't care how many people are going. A lot of people can't even begin to one afford it or two make it to Disneyland for the 17th so I think you really need to think how lucky you are and try to enjoy the experience and remember why we all want to go so bad.

AVP
05-11-2005, 10:19 AM
:eek: Is it really true that they are going to kick us out after our Breakfast at Dawn and make us re-enter??!! :eek: Please, tell me they are NOT serious about this!! It is not true , and I've been asked to PLEASE nip this rumor in the bud. Breakfast ends at 8:00, from there we are currently planned to go over to Space Mountain and we will remain in the park until it opens.

AVP

cstephens
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
It is not true , and I've been asked to PLEASE nip this rumor in the bud. Breakfast ends at 8:00, from there we are currently planned to go over to Space Mountain and we will remain in the park until it opens.

AVP

With all due respect to everyone else, glad to hear from someone who has real information. I was hoping you'd post something at some point.

So we'll all be waving at all the people in line in the esplanade as we go into the park for breakfast! :~D

AVP
05-11-2005, 10:26 AM
With all due respect to everyone else, glad to hear from someone who has real information. I was hoping you'd post something at some point. I've been trying to track down the relevant people to see what rumors needed to be squashed.

AVP

KTHoover
05-11-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm glad someone else is writing that it isn't true besides me hopefully people will believe us now :) I think its going to be a wonderful event.

AVP
05-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I did indeed ask for a refund and was told "all packages are non refundable". Who did you ask? If you are serious about wanting a refund, I suggest contacting Martha directly.

AVP

KarenW2
05-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I appreciate your post!! That's what I was asking for, some official verification. I always want to find out the truth before I start getting upset about something.

Even so, Space Mountain right AFTER breakfast?? I may end up passing on this portion of my package, due to my tummy probably not being very happy being bounced around right after eating (look out for flying pancakes!!) :eek: and due to my current/then knee situation.

How much leg room are in the SM vehicles these days? I have a crotch to foot length knee brace that I have to wear 24/7 and some of those ride vehicles were not very comfortable last week. I also don't want to take a chance of doing any more damage to myself, so I need to be careful.

KTHoover
05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a silly question :) Why is everyone listening to AVP, which I'm glad they are, and not me? I am new to this board so I guess I don't understand how things work. Just curious :)

AVP
05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
I have a silly question :) Why is everyone listening to AVP, which I'm glad they are, and not me? I am new to this board so I guess I don't understand how things work. Just curious :)KT, I don't think it's a matter of people not listening to you, I think it's just that people know that I have contacts inside event services, so when I say "this is official from event services," they know it really is. That's all. Obviously there is a lot of misinformation out there, since Disneynut1955's sources say we're being kicked out of the park. When you've been around for a while we'll know how accurate your sources are. :D

AVP

KTHoover
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks AVP, now I know when I read your information I can count on it. I really am enjoying this board!!!!

Alex S.
05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Plus when AVP talks about a Disney matter as FACT or FICTION, it tends to have the weight of MousePlanet behind it so we staff members try not to do so unless we're pretty darn sure and use appropriate caveats otherwise (not that we're always right).

KTHoover
05-11-2005, 12:32 PM
These are things that are good to find out, thanks again.