PDA

View Full Version : When did Haunted Mansion add screen in graveyard?

Noah
05-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi,
I do not recall Haunted Mansion having a see through screen in the graveyard when I used to visit in the yesteryears. Can anyone tell me when Disneyland added this screen, it does seem to distract me although I am sure there were some unfortunate events which may have made the screens covering the sets a neccessity albeit an unfortunate one.
Also can anyone tell me if they think the Haunted Mansion "doom buggies" are running faster these days then lets say the mid 80's? I can almost swear that the buggies are moving quicker to increase capacities, seems like you now fly through the ride in no time.
Don't get me wrong I still love the attraction just curious about the changes.

Summary of questions:
1: When did they add the Protective screen in the Graveyard scene?
2: Has the speed of the Doom Buggies increased over the years for capacity issues?

SCUBAbe
05-09-2005, 05:39 PM
the first time I noticed the screen was last year during the HMH overlay. It was very bright in there.

Werner
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I seem to remember reading something about the screens being used for more of an aesthetic reason: to create a "hazy" look to increase the spookiness. I think they've been there since the beginning. As to the speed of the Doom Buggies, I haven't noticed a difference, although I do remember the whole ride-through taking about 6 minutes in the 80s (I made a tape recording) -- have you timed it recently?

DisneyDustin22
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
The screens have been there for some time. They are actually referred to as "scrims" but in reality it is just a screen. It is how the effect is achieved of the ghosts flying through the air. If for some reason it is bright in there yes you can see them and it takes away from the effect. When lit correctly though they work excellent.

Opus1guy
05-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Been there as long as I can remember.

Problem is...my memory isn't as good as it used to be! ;)

But I do remember Haunted Mansion's opening day in 1969. What a freaking zoo that was! You could hardly move in the entire area! I'm talking gridlock. Folks were waiting in line for hours and hours to get on.

That'll teach 'em to open a highly anticipated "E" ticket attraction during one of the busiest weeks of the Summer! Or at least I think it taught them.

Laffite
05-09-2005, 06:35 PM
since 1969

Kapusha
05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
You really notice them during the holiday because the white "snow" reflects so much of the ambient light. If they have been there since '69, then I've always seen them, but I only really noticed how hard it is to see some of the ghosts in the past few years (not just during Holiday.) I wonder if they switched to a different material or something?

sdfilmcritic
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I noticed two screens on that ride. One for the flying ghosts to be projected on to and the one about half way back between the back wall and the doom buggies. Maybe it's supposed to give the illusion of transparency for the ghosts or to make things seem dark.

Laffite
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
You really notice them during the holiday because the white "snow" reflects so much of the ambient light. If they have been there since '69, then I've always seen them, but I only really noticed how hard it is to see some of the ghosts in the past few years (not just during Holiday.) I wonder if they switched to a different material or something?
Well, those scrims depend a lot on lighting, and lighting have been changed over the years