PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to Millionaire?

Carter's Mommy
05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm sure I am re-hashing old stuff, but I was wondering what was the reason they closed "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" Are there plans to use the area for something else? It just seems like DCA can use all the attractions it can get, and when Millionaire was closed I thought maybe it was going to be replaced with a new attraction instead of left empty.

sediment
05-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Millionaire is sooooo yesterday. Belongs in Yesterland. There's still one in WDW if it's that important to keep.

I do agree that if some attraction is to be closed, there had better be plans for the replacement. I'm sure that Cast Member Matt is fielding all ideas. But, if you post them here, they become public domain.

Disney Vault
05-09-2005, 02:47 PM
This is what Marcie from MouseInfo said about the millionaire building:

Creative Entertainment team owns the building in regards to developing a new show attraction for the location. There are a couple different ideas that are being developed and will be presented before DLR senior level executives and Jay Rasulo for consideration. We are about another 1 to 1 ½ years out before the replacement should open in the building. The new concept may be tied to some of the Disney Channel shows, but no determination has been made at this time.

Fozzie
05-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Right now it's being used for cast meetings. There has been a rumor going around is that it may be used as a costume issue location for employees. Not too exciting.

dingdong2U
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
The information I have gotten (which take it like a grain of salt) from a former Millionaire stage person recently is that the building is planned to be gutted sometime in August. Some of the equipment inside (I assume lighting and some stuff like that) has been sold to an unnamed third party and will be removed at that time.

I, for one, enjoyed the Millionaire attraction immensely and felt that the attraction didn't get the proper send-off/premier that it deserved. Mainly because of the events of 9-11 but also I felt that they didn't advertise it enough to guests. Being tucked in a corner of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot with two closed buildings (i.e. the then Superstar Limo attraction and Hollywood & Dine eatery) didn't help matters much either. A few times I had talked to other guests while at the parks, some of them had no idea that the attraction even existed. :-(

In the times that the attraction *was* featured in the "Spotlight" section of the park maps, the attraction did experience a surge in attendance though. (Advertise it, and they will come...)

I still feel that the attraction has at least a years worth of life left in it and could provide some good buzz for the upcoming "Monsters Inc." attraction in terms of foot traffic till it opens in January of 2006.

In addition, the cast and crew of the attraction were a joy to be with every time I visited the attraction. And while many of them have moved on to other things both inside and outside the Disney family, I feel that they were the best castmembers in the ENTIRE resort, hands down, to this day.

Maybe now I'll have to find a job somewhere in Orlando so I can get my regular Millionaire fix. Anyone that lives on that side of the coast know if anyone is hiring for any Computer/Technical Support positions? ;-)

--- Mike

Alex S.
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
At a presentation on venue rental locations, the millionaire building was listed as possibly becoming available later this year.

Jawknee
05-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Rock N Rollercoaster!

sdfilmcritic
05-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Millionaire is sooooo yesterday. Belongs in Yesterland. There's still one in WDW if it's that important to keep.{sigh} Once again it's all about WDW. For once we would like to have some stuff to remain here in California. How about they get rid of the bad real estate prices? I'm sure every Californian wouldn't mind seeing those abolished. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Maybe that was taken out because it's an oxy moron to have such a thing in California unless you have huge connections or live in L.A. and most of the residents of the state have neither. ;) Okay my little rant is now over. Thank you for passing over this post and not reading it.

Wendi
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
They should've put Regis in there for the last couple of days... put him to work!!!

CrazyTrain
05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
At a presentation on venue rental locations, the millionaire building was listed as possibly becoming available later this year.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means? :confused:

Niwel
05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Now that Monster's Inc is going in, that puts an end to my dream of a Great Movie Ride ... although if they take out Muppets and Millionaire and work upwards (insert dream sequence here)...

I liked Millionaire, but now that ABC tanked it, there's not much to do.
I say they should make a Lost/Alias/Desperate Housewives experience where you can be "in" an episode (like they used to do at Universal) and then you can buy a tape.

hlbtimes2
05-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means? :confused:

I'm just guessing, but I think that means it could possibly be available as a place to rent for parties, weddings, etc.

Disney Vault
05-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Now that Monster's Inc is going in, that puts an end to my dream of a Great Movie Ride ... although if they take out Muppets and Millionaire and work upwards (insert dream sequence here)...

I liked Millionaire, but now that ABC tanked it, there's not much to do.
I say they should make a Lost/Alias/Desperate Housewives experience where you can be "in" an episode (like they used to do at Universal) and then you can buy a tape.
I think a GMR would be perfect for DCA. COuld it go in the hollywood dine area and just extend the building out?

sleepyjeff
05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Yes, but if they build a Great Movie Ride I want them to make it 10 times better then the original and just to tweak WDW a little call it THE GREATEST MOVIE RIDE ;)

Disney Vault
05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes, but if they build a Great Movie Ride I want them to make it 10 times better then the original and just to tweak WDW a little call it THE GREATEST MOVIE RIDE ;)
That would be great if it was called the greatest movie ride! The one thing I would really want is for it to have Disney movies during the ride though. A lot of the movies in the ride don't seem very well known now compared to how they use to be. So why don't they use some classic disney movies that are still well known. Like Herbie, Mary Poppins, and then even some animated movies like beauty and the beast.

rds912
04-02-2006, 08:43 AM
any new news, also how about people mover, what are they doing with that

Bolivar
04-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I guess no one could have imagined how big a hit it was going to be and by the time they put something together now it would be old news, but my daughter would go nuts for something related to "High School Musical." Maybe a dance along or just a show.

Koala Gurl
04-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Is the Millionaire building to the right of Monsters??

If so, I think it is in fact a rental location. DH's company had an event in some builing off to the right of Monsters a few weeks ago.

potzbie
04-02-2006, 05:59 PM
They should've put Regis in there for the last couple of days... put him to work!!!

I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means. :confused:
(April fool!) :) :p

cstephens
04-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Is the Millionaire building to the right of Monsters??

If so, I think it is in fact a rental location. DH's company had an event in some builing off to the right of Monsters a few weeks ago.

Nope, that's Hollywood and Dine, which used to be a dining location and has since been used to hold private parties.

The Millionaire building is actually to the left of Monsters, and to the right of Muppetvision.

Alex S.
04-02-2006, 11:07 PM
The building is all torn out and is essentially a large box now (and hosted the various parties that went on for the opening of Monsters, Inc.).

The building has not been released as a venue available for third party rentals (and the people in charge of those would really like to see it made available since it has a larger capacity than anything else in DCA). It seems like every other Imagineer has their own idea for what could be done with the building but I haven't heard anything remotely solid yet.

rds912
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Since you seem to be in the know about alot of these things, Any ideas what the future holds for that area. Even with Monsters, it is still a dead area, if they did something with millionaire and Holywood and Dine that would certainly help. DCA still needs a handfull of atractions to make it an all day park.

Vegitabeta
04-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I think they should put a thing in like the had at MGM, 'One Man's Dream'...can't think of the word for what I mean, anyone wanna help me out?